Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The God Delusion by Dawkins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
    I've had tons of atheist friends tell me that I should read The God Delusion, and that it's a fantastic book that really influenced them. I still haven't read it, and I have almost no desire to read it. The reason for this is pretty simple: Richard Dawkins is not a philosopher. I do not want to read a book on philosophy written by someone who has no training in philosophy any more than I want to read a book on biology written by someone with no training in biology. For example, if I want to learn about evolution by natural selection, I have no interest in reading a book written by William Dembski. In exactly the same way, if I want to learn about philosophy, why would I choose to read a book by Richard Dawkins?
    To be a part of the Cool Kids Club.

I am not part of the Cool Kids Club. I am a member of a much more secret and cooler organization.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
    "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
    Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
      I am not at all convinced by Dawkin's reasoning on this. It is special pleading that asserts that even though everything else material has a material cause, the Universe does not.
      To be fair, Christians also claim that "even though everything else material has a material cause, the Universe does not." That's explicit in the doctrine of creatio ex nihilo. Apologists like Dr. William Lane Craig assert that even though the universe may not have a material cause despite the fact that everything else material has a material cause, the universe must have had an efficient cause because everything else material has an efficient cause. This seems like a fairly inconsistent position, to me, but it is the one which Dr. Craig supports.
      "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
      --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

To be fair, Christians also claim that "even though everything else material has a material cause, the Universe does not." That's explicit in the doctrine of creatio ex nihilo. Apologists like Dr. William Lane Craig assert that even though the universe may not have a material cause despite the fact that everything else material has a material cause, the universe must have had an efficient cause because everything else material has an efficient cause. This seems like a fairly inconsistent position, to me, but it is the one which Dr. Craig supports.
        The point is that therefore something--some cause--must be defined as special--the first cause. In this case, theists move it backwards into the "supernatural" or "special." It's a nice happenstance that they are not also engaged in special pleading therefore.
        "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
        Hear my cry, hear my shout,
        Save me, save me"

Comment

Simplicity in the case of theology does not mean that the thing lacks intelligence or refinement. Rather it refers to the fact that the simple thing is self contained and does not have more parts than needed.
          sigpic

Comment

The point is that therefore something--some cause--must be defined as special--the first cause. In this case, theists move it backwards into the "supernatural" or "special." It's a nice happenstance that they are not also engaged in special pleading therefore.
            Eh, I'm not so sure I agree. It would depend on the particular formulation, of course, but WLC's idea clearly looks just as much like special pleading as does Dawkins'.
            "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."

Comment

Eh, I'm not so sure I agree. It would depend on the particular formulation, of course, but WLC's idea clearly looks just as much like special pleading as does Dawkins'.
              Theists have supernaturalism as a built in part of causation. The universe isn't the only thing with a supernatural cause.
              Save me, save me"

Comment

Theists have supernaturalism as a built in part of causation. The universe isn't the only thing with a supernatural cause.
                The supernaturalism wasn't what I was referring to. Rather, it's the fact that, on WLC's formulation, all material things have material causes, except for the universe itself, which must be special.

Comment

The supernaturalism wasn't what I was referring to. Rather, it's the fact that, on WLC's formulation, all material things have material causes, except for the universe itself, which must be special.
                  I'm not sure how WLC, as a Christian, would make the argument that all material things have only material causes. If so, then yes, he might be engaged in special pleading and I would disagree with him.
                  Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post

Dawkins, IMO, rightly rolls his eyes at the traditional theological claim of "God is 'simple'", which blithely asserts in the face of all evidence and reason that God is a non-complex being and does not have any parts... yet who somehow nonetheless has immense intelligence, thoughts, desires, will, emotions, knowledge, etc. Dawkins notes that here the theologians are essentially saying "God is 'simple' because theologians said so, so there. So your scientific ideas that an intelligent being is a complex entity are irrelevant." They are essentially declaring this by fiat and thus admitting that no rational argument could ever convince them.
                    Though hansgeorg seems to agree that "God is simple", I don't think I've ever heard this claim in traditional theology. And if theologians DO say it, I suspect that they mean something different by it than does Dawkins. Can you (or hansgeorge) present any references to theologians claiming that "God is simple"?

(One of Dawkins' main problems is that he doesn't really understand the Bible or theology, so he ends up attacking a straw man. I suspect that he is doing the same thing here.)
                    "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." – Albert Einstein

Comment

I'm not sure how WLC, as a Christian, would make the argument that all material things have only material causes. If so, then yes, he might be engaged in special pleading and I would disagree with him.
                      He doesn't make the argument that they have only material causes. He makes the argument that despite the fact that all material things have material causes, the universe itself-- though material-- has no material cause. This is special pleading.

Comment

Originally posted by Kbertsche View Post
                        Though hansgeorg seems to agree that "God is simple", I don't think I've ever heard this claim in traditional theology. And if theologians DO say it, I suspect that they mean something different by it than does Dawkins. Can you (or hansgeorge) present any references to theologians claiming that "God is simple"?

(One of Dawkins' main problems is that he doesn't really understand the Bible or theology, so he ends up attacking a straw man. I suspect that he is doing the same thing here.)
                        God's simplicity has been a major point of Classical Theology for a very long time.

http://www.iep.utm.edu/div-simp/

Comment

He doesn't make the argument that they have only material causes. He makes the argument that despite the fact that all material things have material causes, the universe itself-- though material-- has no material cause. This is special pleading.
                          Material things have either a supernatural cause or a material cause or both. If WLC is asserting something else then I think he is wrong.
                          Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                            I'm personally quite fine with the idea of there existing a first cause. I wouldn't want to argue for an infinite regress of causes as an alternative. But IMO the first cause could well be a mathematical truth - a theorem of quantum physics.
                            If there had been only 1:st, 2:nd and 3:rd via (first mover, first cause, first necessary existence), at least at a superficial glance, the God of these ways could be impersonal.

It's when we add 4:th and 5:th ways, one of which is argument from order and other of which is argument from most noble, that we can actually grasp that God must be personal.

(I forget in which order these two come).

And CSL backed the "argument from most noble thing" (and hierarchy of noble things) up as in his argument for a valid and universally so morality.

Creationists and Geocentrics are backing the other part up.
                            http://notontimsblogroundhere.blogspot.fr/p/apologetics-section.html

Thanks, Sparko, for telling how I add the link here!

Comment

Originally posted by thewriteranon View Post
                              I am a member of a much more secret and cooler organization.
                              "we who have NOT read Dawkins' The God Delusion"?

Comment

To be fair, Christians also claim that "even though everything else material has a material cause, the Universe does not." That's explicit in the doctrine of creatio ex nihilo.
                                No. For the universe to have a "material cause", it is not needed it was preceded by something material, it needs only consist of matter and of matters which are formed and to it as material causes, i e as components.

Comment