Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Anyone watching Legion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone watching Legion?

FX's take on the son of Charles Xavier.

Legion, based on the Marvel Comics by Chris Claremont and Bill Sienkiewicz, is the story of David Haller (Dan Stevens), a troubled young man who may be more than human. Diagnosed as schizophrenic as a child, David has been in and out of psychiatric hospitals for years. Now in his early 30s and institutionalized once again, David loses himself in the rhythm of the structured regimen of life in the hospital: breakfast, lunch, dinner, therapy, medications, sleep. David spends the rest of his time in companionable silence alongside his chatterbox friend Lenny (Aubrey Plaza), a fellow patient whose life-long drug and alcohol addiction has done nothing to quell her boundless optimism that her luck is about to change. The pleasant numbness of David's routine is completely upended with the arrival of a beautiful and troubled new patient named Syd (Rachel Keller). Inexplicably drawn to one another, David and Syd share a startling encounter, after which David must confront the shocking possibility that the voices he hears and the visions he sees may actually be real.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

I recorded the first episode on my DVR lat night and will take a look at it after I have a couple episodes.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      I recorded the first episode on my DVR lat night and will take a look at it after I have a couple episodes.
      ditto.

Comment

I'm SOOO tired of the superhero genre at this point, and I say this as someone who was a comic book nerd some 25 years ago. The first few films, and even shows were pretty exciting. It was great to see the characters you read about for so long actually appearing in the flesh (well, film-flesh anyways), but within a very few short years, the storylines are beginning to get as complicated and tangled as they are in the comics, and it took Marvel and DC decades to get their characters as tangled as they currently are. Add to that that so many of these films/shows have been given the extreme PC makeover that's so prevalent in comics today. It's frustrating to see an ancient female Celtic in a Tibetan monastery (why would an ancient Celt be hanging out in Tibet?) rather than an old Tibetan male in Dr. Strange. Why change such a central aspect of a main character of the books? This idea that everything might hint at racism, so you have to do a 180 at every turn is so tired. To add to the frustration, we have Marvel Disney, and we have Marvel Sony, and most people don't know the difference between DC and Marvel as it is, I'm afraid a show like Legion might simply confuse people further. Is this guy in the same universe as Agents of SHIELD and DareDevil? No? Why not? Ok, then he must belong to the same universe as Green Arrow, and The Flash. He isn't?

Okay, sorry. Had to rant. I haven't seen a preview of the show yet, but I know the character from the early 90s. If I remember correctly, his storyline is pretty confusing as is. He was the secret son of Prof. X that absolutely no one knew about for like 30 years. He's completely schizophrenic (or, more accurately, suffers from multiple personality disorder, which I think has since been rebranded like they do...), and was a major villain for the X-Men, well unknowingly anyways. I remember the storyline being really confusing back in the day. I'm interested in the show just to see how they make sense of it all. I'm also curious to see if they give the show a horror theme, which I think would work out well for the character.

Comment

Now-a-days all you have are cop shows, medical shows, superhero shows, and "young adult" dramas (like Riverdale, what the?)

There are still a few good sci-fi shows out there, like The Expanse and The Walking Dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            Now-a-days all you have are cop shows, medical shows, superhero shows, and "young adult" dramas (like Riverdale, what the?)

There are still a few good sci-fi shows out there, like The Expanse and The Walking Dead.
            I don't know if I'd call The Walking Dead good. But like a masochist, I watch it every season. I really like The Expanse, but it's so...dense, or something...I find myself constantly lost trying to figure out what the heck is going on.

Comment

I have a watch list on tv.com... 5 superhero shows (The DC universe 4 and Agents of SHIELD), 1 young adult sci-fi (The Magicians), 1 cop show (The Blacklist), and The Librarians.
              That's what
              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                I have a watch list on tv.com... 5 superhero shows (The DC universe 4 and Agents of SHIELD), 1 young adult sci-fi (The Magicians), 1 cop show (The Blacklist), and The Librarians.
                I figured everyone stopped watching Green Arrow. How do you do it? Oh, and I got my parents hooked on Blacklist. They had never seen a cop series (or any series for that matter) that wasn't a standard procedural. The idea that a show could have long sweeping arcs that span from season to season was revelatory to them. My mom's one of these people who sits at the edge of her seat for everything, and my dad's just happy to be watching something that's not America's Next Top whatever. Since then I've introduced them to Prison Break which they've finished, and they're currently watching like 2 episodes a night of 24, which they didn't know anything about when it was airing. It's hilarious when I go over there. Mom's always like "Look at what you did to us! I'm an emotional mess. The show is so stupid, but I gotta see what Jack Bauer does next episode".

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                  I figured everyone stopped watching Green Arrow.
                  I haven't seen it before the Flash came on. Now, I watch it just to see how Flash interacts with it.

How do you do it?
                  No idea

Oh, and I got my parents hooked on Blacklist. They had never seen a cop series (or any series for that matter) that wasn't a standard procedural. The idea that a show could have long sweeping arcs that span from season to season was revelatory to them. My mom's one of these people who sits at the edge of her seat for everything, and my dad's just happy to be watching something that's not America's Next Top whatever. Since then I've introduced them to Prison Break which they've finished, and they're currently watching like 2 episodes a night of 24, which they didn't know anything about when it was airing. It's hilarious when I go over there. Mom's always like "Look at what you did to us! I'm an emotional mess. The show is so stupid, but I gotta see what Jack Bauer does next episode".
                  I think Blacklist is slowing down. Spader is still the best actor on tv IMO, but the premise seems to be losing steam. Never got into 24 since I'm not a Keifer fan.
                  That's what
                  - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I don't know if I'd call The Walking Dead good. But like a masochist, I watch it every season. I really like The Expanse, but it's so...dense, or something...I find myself constantly lost trying to figure out what the heck is going on.
                    Read the books. So far they are only about a third of the way into the first book Leviathan Wakes by James Corey. There are 6 books so far. I listened to the audio books. Way better than the tv series and makes more sense. I like the TV show because it is like watching it come alive. But they did change a few things like in the book, the Detective guy dies from the protomolecule and becomes part of it and haunts James Holden throughout the series.

Comment

Read the books. So far they are only about a third of the way into the first book Leviathan Wakes by James Corey. There are 6 books so far. I listened to the audio books. Way better than the tv series and makes more sense. I like the TV show because it is like watching it come alive. But they did change a few things like in the book, the Detective guy dies from the protomolecule and becomes part of it and haunts James Holden throughout the series.
                      That's...weird. Thomas Jane is such a good actor in this. I don't think I could watch it without him in it. He elevates every scene he's in. I'll have to check out the audio books. Been getting more into audio since I just never seem to have enough time to get through my mountain of books.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                        I watch Agents of Shield, The Magicians and The Librarians along with Grimm and Sleepy Hollow (haven't seen any of the latter's episodes this season yet).

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I figured everyone stopped watching Green Arrow. How do you do it? Oh, and I got my parents hooked on Blacklist. They had never seen a cop series (or any series for that matter) that wasn't a standard procedural. The idea that a show could have long sweeping arcs that span from season to season was revelatory to them. My mom's one of these people who sits at the edge of her seat for everything, and my dad's just happy to be watching something that's not America's Next Top whatever. Since then I've introduced them to Prison Break which they've finished, and they're currently watching like 2 episodes a night of 24, which they didn't know anything about when it was airing. It's hilarious when I go over there. Mom's always like "Look at what you did to us! I'm an emotional mess. The show is so stupid, but I gotta see what Jack Bauer does next episode".
                          Yeah I am glad they rebooted 24 and Prison Break (in March) - I loved both of those series. The new 24 is pretty good so far.

Comment

Yeah I am glad they rebooted 24 and Prison Break (in March) - I loved both of those series. The new 24 is pretty good so far.
                            Haven't checked it out yet. Seems kinda weird to do it without Sutherland.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              I watch Agents of Shield, The Magicians and The Librarians along with Grimm and Sleepy Hollow (haven't seen any of the latter's episodes this season yet).
                              What's The Librarians all about? Every time I hear that show title I think of that scene out of UHF:

Comment