Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Anyone watching Legion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    That's...weird. Thomas Jane is such a good actor in this. I don't think I could watch it without him in it. He elevates every scene he's in. I'll have to check out the audio books. Been getting more into audio since I just never seem to have enough time to get through my mountain of books.
    He is still a main character in the books. He just sort of helps Holden figure out what the protomolecule is up to. It's intelligent in a way. Like an intelligent virus that incorporates everything that it encounters, including people.

Yeah I don't have much time to read books anymore, so I listen to audiobooks while driving or doing other things. It also helps with long drawn out books that I would never have been able to wade through reading. Like the wheel of time books. They would have driven me crazy with the long drawn out descriptions that went on and on. With the audiobook I could just tune that crap out and go on. But a bad narrator can ruin a good audiobook. There are a few narrators that I will avoid at all costs. The Expanse narrator is really good though. You can listen to a sample of it on Audible.com https://www.audible.com/pd/Sci-Fi-Fa...6663359&sr=1-1

Comment

What's The Librarians all about? Every time I hear that show title I think of that scene out of UHF:

Started out as a series of adventure movies with Noah Wyle, then became a tv series.

One of those "hunt for magic artifacts and store them in the warehouse" type shows, like Warehouse 13. basically an adventure comedy. It is OK.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        I watch Agents of Shield, The Magicians and The Librarians along with Grimm and Sleepy Hollow (haven't seen any of the latter's episodes this season yet).
        I've had difficulty watching Magicians because of all of the blatant sexuality in it. Every episode, someone is in the sack. And quite often it's multiple people of the same sex, and that's not my cup o tea... but the sci-fi and adventure parts are entertaining.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          The new 24 is pretty good so far.
          Don't get too comfortable with it.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...episode-972175

"I like to say the series begins as if it was written by Trump, but it ends as if it were written by Hillary," executive producer and co-showrunner Manny Coto tells THR.
          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
            meh. 24 is always full of twists and turns. I figure that the leader of the CTU is probably behind it all or something like that. I just wonder if "Black Bauer" will do as much torturing as Jack did.

Comment

I haven't checked out Legion. Didn't care for the previews, nor what I've read about the comic book version of the character.

I'm a superhero fan, but mostly Silver and Bronze Age. I stopped reading comic books regularly about 30 years ago. I've watched a lot of the animated stuff. (Looking forward to the return of "Young Justice," if it actually comes to pass.)

The big reason I gave up 30 years ago was that huge interconnectedness. IMO, that basic "shared universe" model was a big positive that Marvel introduced over 50 years ago, but it easily gets out of control. So I liked that the MCU elements connected to each other, and also loosely to S.H.I.E.L.D., but it also gets annoying. And I hate that X-Men, FF, and Avengers have to be so starkly separate that only one of them can use terms like "mutants" and "adamantium."

I regularly watched Smallville when it was on. It was so-so, but watchable; I loved the 2-parter with the Justice Society. Great version of Dr. Fate.

I watch the "DC 4" as someone called them. They're ok. I like Supergirl best, even though she's not as "super" as a Kryptonian should be, and I *hate* their version of "Mon-El." I like that she switched networks and can more easily be in cross-overs, but I don't like that even in-universe, she's on a different earth. "Legends" is ok, except that their FX budget is apparently too limited to let Firestorm actually *be* Firestorm more than about once a quarter. Green Arrow can be a chore to watch, but I try to be disciplined. :-D

I do not watch Gotham.

------

In other genres...

With the hiatus and all, I lost track of Grimm.

I'm a fan of "The Strain." Looking forward to the next chapter.

I enjoyed "Dominion" (the somewhat altered follow-up to the "Legion" movie, totally different from the mutant TV series) a few years ago, and was sorry to see it canceled.

I watch "The Magicians" sometimes. I'm undecided about it.

Tried The Expanse. Yeah, too "dense," or something.
              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

I like The Strain. It portrays vampires as they should be -- utterly and irredeemably evil. Not romantics. And certainly not some brooding sparkly twits.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                  I haven't checked out Legion. Didn't care for the previews, nor what I've read about the comic book version of the character.

I'm a superhero fan, but mostly Silver and Bronze Age. I stopped reading comic books regularly about 30 years ago. I've watched a lot of the animated stuff. (Looking forward to the return of "Young Justice," if it actually comes to pass.)

The big reason I gave up 30 years ago was that huge interconnectedness. IMO, that basic "shared universe" model was a big positive that Marvel introduced over 50 years ago, but it easily gets out of control. So I liked that the MCU elements connected to each other, and also loosely to S.H.I.E.L.D., but it also gets annoying. And I hate that X-Men, FF, and Avengers have to be so starkly separate that only one of them can use terms like "mutants" and "adamantium."
                  Lot of the same reasons I stopped collecting them. Also the retcons were getting to me. I might pick up another indie series. I used to read a number of non-superhero indie comics. Berlin, a comic about the early Bauhaus movement, was pretty great. What I'd love to find is a Conan style comic that mirrored the Conan seen in Milius' Conan the Barbarian film, but not sure anything like that exists outside of the standard watered down Marvel fare.

I regularly watched Smallville when it was on. It was so-so, but watchable; I loved the 2-parter with the Justice Society. Great version of Dr. Fate.
                  I just could not get into that show. Just too teen bop. Blech.

I watch the "DC 4" as someone called them. They're ok. I like Supergirl best, even though she's not as "super" as a Kryptonian should be, and I *hate* their version of "Mon-El." I like that she switched networks and can more easily be in cross-overs, but I don't like that even in-universe, she's on a different earth. "Legends" is ok, except that their FX budget is apparently too limited to let Firestorm actually *be* Firestorm more than about once a quarter. Green Arrow can be a chore to watch, but I try to be disciplined. :-D

I do not watch Gotham.
                  I suffered through the first three seasons of Green Arrow before I finally had to give it up. Flash is a lot of fun. The Legends pilot didn't do much for me. Never watched Supergirl (the initial previews for the show did not impress me). I stopped watching all of the CW shows cause they were getting too campy. Oddly though, I really liked the first two seasons of Gotham. It has such a Burton vibe to it. Really fun stories. This season has been pretty crummy, and they don't seem to know what they're doing with character development.

In other genres...

With the hiatus and all, I lost track of Grimm.

I'm a fan of "The Strain." Looking forward to the next chapter.

I enjoyed "Dominion" (the somewhat altered follow-up to the "Legion" movie, totally different from the mutant TV series) a few years ago, and was sorry to see it canceled.

I watch "The Magicians" sometimes. I'm undecided about it.

Tried The Expanse. Yeah, too "dense," or something.
                  Watched the first season or two of Grimm. I don't know...shows like that are just too...something... I guess they just feel too manufactured or simple or something. I couldn't get into Dominion. The Strain had SO much potential. I thought the first season was pretty strong, especially the first few episodes, but the last couple seasons have been so weak. And I HATE horror series that use these dumb kids/teens who end up causing more trouble than they're worth. I'm always hoping they'll die out before they get too whiny.

Comment

I like The Strain. It portrays vampires as they should be -- utterly and irredeemably evil. Not romantics. And certainly not some brooding sparkly twits.
                    I agree, but the series can't help itself but offer a couple vampires that aren't that evil.

Comment

I agree, but the series can't help itself but offer a couple vampires that aren't that evil.
                      Really just one and he seems to be more of a Blade-ish half-vampire obsessed with getting vengeance on the big bad.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Really just one and he seems to be more of a Blade-ish half-vampire obsessed with getting vengeance on the big bad.
                        Quinlan. He's my favorite character. The similarity is not a coincidence, given that Del Toro is responsible for both.

IIRC, he first came up with the "Strain" story, had trouble finding takers, so instead introduced a few of the concepts in Blade, then later revived the Strain concept.
                        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

Lot of the same reasons I stopped collecting them. Also the retcons were getting to me.
                          Oh yeah, those.

I prefer reboots and reimaginings, but those can be annoying also. But practically speaking, that stuff is unavoidable.

I might pick up another indie series. I used to read a number of non-superhero indie comics. Berlin, a comic about the early Bauhaus movement, was pretty great. What I'd love to find is a Conan style comic that mirrored the Conan seen in Milius' Conan the Barbarian film, but not sure anything like that exists outside of the standard watered down Marvel fare.
                          I used to read stuff from a few publishers other than the Big Two -- "Gold Key" and "Charlton" are the ones that come to mind -- but not a ton. I remember really enjoying the Edgar Rice Burroughs adaptations from Gold Key.

I just could not get into that show. Just too teen bop. Blech.
                          It had its moments. A ton of its version of Lex derived from a single Superboy story from the '50s or '60s. I liked the way Rosenbaum played the character in the first few years. And I liked the "mythology," which they ultimately mostly abandoned.

I suffered through the first three seasons of Green Arrow before I finally had to give it up.
                          I had never watched it until TNT did schedule saturation with it a few months ago. It seemed like it was always on the edge of becoming good, but never got there. I think TNT has totally dropped it now.

Flash is a lot of fun.
                          It is. And I think part of that may be -- pardon my cynicism -- because the superspeed FX are relatively cheap and easy, so they can have Barry and Wally doing "meta" stuff often.

The Legends pilot didn't do much for me.
                          I didn't see it. I had never even *heard* of that group until I got a DC encyclopedia. Time-travel stories tend to annoy me, and Legends is *all* about time-travel. I mainly watch it because of the annoying possibility I'll miss some item of shared-universe importance. Plus when they do have an FX-heavy episode, it can be fairly cool.

Never watched Supergirl (the initial previews for the show did not impress me). I stopped watching all of the CW shows cause they were getting too campy.
                          Another thing that annoys me is their rather ham-handed effort to put gay characters everywhere, even to the point of gayifying traditionally straight characters.

Watched the first season or two of Grimm. I don't know...shows like that are just too...something... I guess they just feel too manufactured or simple or something. I couldn't get into Dominion. The Strain had SO much potential. I thought the first season was pretty strong, especially the first few episodes, but the last couple seasons have been so weak. And I HATE horror series that use these dumb kids/teens who end up causing more trouble than they're worth. I'm always hoping they'll die out before they get too whiny.
                          Yeah, ditto on the "kids" thing.

I would probably have lost interest by now if I hadn't read the online wiki about the original comic-book version. I'm hoping the TV version adheres to that basic premise, and I want to see how they handle it.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

Oh yeah, those.

I prefer reboots and reimaginings, but those can be annoying also. But practically speaking, that stuff is unavoidable.
                            I suppose. The only Marvel comic I was reading up until about 2001 was Amazing Spider-Man. Thankfully I stopped before the Mary Jane marriage retcon, the Gwen Stacey retcon, and finally the Superior Spider-man goofiness, but personally I was completely underwhelmed by Straczynski's run in the late 90s to the time I quit. His run was supposed to be awesome cause we had an actual TV show writer on board, but then I watched Babylon 5 for like 4 seasons and could not get why people love the show so much. About 5 years ago I picked up one of Straczynski's Thor graphic novels just to see what Marvel Comics were still up to still, and I about gagged. He made Thor into a total hardcore PC wimp. That was the last straw.

I used to read stuff from a few publishers other than the Big Two -- "Gold Key" and "Charlton" are the ones that come to mind -- but not a ton. I remember really enjoying the Edgar Rice Burroughs adaptations from Gold Key.
                            Yeah, I subbed to some facebook group called "Old Guys Who Like Comics". I love the artwork in a lot of those older non-Marvel/DC comics. Read a number of old Gold Key comics from friends who had collections from the 60s, and if I remember correctly didn't Charlton have the Blue Beetle and whatnot? I know that Moore was hip to Charlton and wanted to create Watchmen from them, but couldn't for whatever reason.

It had its moments. A ton of its version of Lex derived from a single Superboy story from the '50s or '60s. I liked the way Rosenbaum played the character in the first few years. And I liked the "mythology," which they ultimately mostly abandoned.
                            Hmm. I'll take your word for it. I watched a fan-edit that combined the first few seasons, and took out a lot of the fluff, and I still wasn't that impressed. Probably something you had to get into at the time.

I had never watched it until TNT did schedule saturation with it a few months ago. It seemed like it was always on the edge of becoming good, but never got there. I think TNT has totally dropped it now.
                            For good reason no doubt.

It is. And I think part of that may be -- pardon my cynicism -- because the superspeed FX are relatively cheap and easy, so they can have Barry and Wally doing "meta" stuff often.
                            It's the only CW series I wouldn't mind continue watching, but meh. Maybe if it tied into the movies, but it's not going to, which is unfortunate, because I think the actors are good enough to play the same characters on the big screen.

I didn't see it. I had never even *heard* of that group until I got a DC encyclopedia. Time-travel stories tend to annoy me,
                            Amen to that.

Another thing that annoys me is their rather ham-handed effort to put gay characters everywhere, even to the point of gayifying traditionally straight characters.

I would probably have lost interest by now if I hadn't read the online wiki about the original comic-book version. I'm hoping the TV version adheres to that basic premise, and I want to see how they handle it.
                            There's a comic book version as well? I thought it was only based on some novels he wrote (I haven't read them).

Given your handle, what would you feel about a Silver Surfer film? I'd be all about it as long as they stayed true to the 60s/70s psychedelic element, and not the Dr. Strange faux psychedelia that they used that in the recent film.
                            Last edited by Adrift; 02-10-2017, 07:11 PM.

Comment

ok I watched Legion today. not sure if I like it or not. it is very...odd. quirky. I will have to give it a few more episodes to decide.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                ok I watched Legion today. not sure if I like it or not. it is very...odd. quirky. I will have to give it a few more episodes to decide.
                                Yeah. I watched it and actually had to stop it halfway through and go for a drive to figure out what the heck I was watching. Still don't really know...
                                That's what
                                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment