Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Anyone watching Legion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Checked it out tonight. Much better than I was anticipating. Reminded me a LOT of the British series Utopia. Especially the cinematography, color palette, the 60s retro thing, and the pacing/editing. Had a lot of that surreal Spike Jonze/Charlie Kaufman thing to it, but less hoighty-toighty, and more pop fun. Now if they can keep that sort of momentum going for the rest of the season, I might have another must watch series.

Oh, and I gotta say I was thrilled with the music choices too. The Who, Stones, a Serge Gainsbourg dance scene!? That was awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
      I suppose. The only Marvel comic I was reading up until about 2001 was Amazing Spider-Man.
      I got about a half-dozen or so every week for about 20-ish years from the 1960s to 1987. Then I about had an aneurysm from all the interconnected plot-lines, many a transparent attempt to get me to start adding titles I didn't regularly buy, while prices were rising after quite a few years at around the 30-cent level. I quit cold-turkey. I got none at all for a few years. I've bought a few since then, mostly out of curiosity. And -- *shame* -- I've kept up with the "Smallville Season 11" graphic novel "collections."

Thankfully I stopped before the Mary Jane marriage retcon, the Gwen Stacey retcon, and finally the Superior Spider-man goofiness, ...
      I read bits and pieces about that online, occasionally heard TV's Andy Levy make references to it, finally got the Marvel Encyclopedia. Almost pooped my pants at the "WHAT have you DONE to my childhood?" feeling.

...but personally I was completely underwhelmed by Straczynski's run in the late 90s to the time I quit. His run was supposed to be awesome cause we had an actual TV show writer on board, but then I watched Babylon 5 for like 4 seasons and could not get why people love the show so much.
      I liked it a lot. Probably my favorite TV Sci-Fi show. It was at times choppy and uneven, and I attribute much of that to the fact that for much of its existence, it was always on the verge of not happening. There was a gap between the pilot movie and the series, and then for the first few years, there was doubt it would return the next year. Plus the original primary protagonist had some serious mental health issues for a while. So he and other actors came and went, and story lines had to be adjusted.

About 5 years ago I picked up one of Straczynski's Thor graphic novels just to see what Marvel Comics were still up to still, and I about gagged. He made Thor into a total hardcore PC wimp. That was the last straw.
      That's heinous. Thor was always a favorite of mine.

Yeah, I subbed to some facebook group called "Old Guys Who Like Comics".
      :-D

I love the artwork in a lot of those older non-Marvel/DC comics. Read a number of old Gold Key comics from friends who had collections from the 60s, and if I remember correctly didn't Charlton have the Blue Beetle and whatnot? ...
      Wikipedia says Yes! I never knew that. I got comics from my local newsstand, and their non-Big-Two offerings were a bit limited. The main one I recall was The Phantom. Always a big fan. I can't imagine he was not at least a slight inspiration for Batman.

I think I also got a few of the Flash Gordon comics from Charlton.

There's a comic book version as well? I thought it was only based on some novels he wrote (I haven't read them).
      You may be right! I had *assumed* they were "graphic" novels.

Given your handle, what would you feel about a Silver Surfer film? I'd be all about it as long as they stayed true to the 60s/70s psychedelic element, and not the Dr. Strange faux psychedelia that they used that in the recent film.
      I haven't seen that flick yet. :-( I'll eventually get the DVD, but I imagine it will lose a lot on a TV screen.

Yes, I'm a Surfer fan. He's one of those characters that's hard to get right, mainly in terms of power level. Sometimes he could transmute elements, sometimes not. Sometimes he could literally knock out the Abomination with one punch, other times Loki could deck him. Sometimes he could get hit by a chunk of meteor, fall unconscious from near-orbital altitude into the ocean, and be unharmed except for some grogginess; other times, he was worried about getting hurt if the protective force-field he was generating dropped because of his divided attention, allowing him to be hit by projectiles fired by soldiers. In the issue where he fought the Abomination, he was able to use his Power Cosmic to help an injured person; never saw him do that again. In the issue where he fought Spidey, he was able to generate heat to make a fire escape too hot for the wall-crawler to stand on it, and he was able to generate some kind of magnetic force to wrap a car around Spidey without hurting him. Those were all in his original series that ran from the late '60s to '70 or so. In a "Two in One," or some equivalent, from that same era, he got into a fight with The Thing. (Ben, in typical hit-first-think-later fashion, thought the Surfer was hitting on Alicia, and set to clobberin'.) At one point the Surfer got provoked to the point that he transformed into pure Power Cosmic energy and was flying in pursuit of Ben (on one of those FF Hover Cycles) without using his board, with apparent intent to nuke him.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about a film. In the 2007 FF film, he had some cool abilities, but I totally hated the concept that there was some basic link between his powers and those of the FF. ("Power Cosmic" and "cosmic rays" are totally distinct in the comics.) And I hated that they made his board virtually the total source of his powers. I don't know how much I trust them to get the character "right." I mostly hated the movie FF. I like Iron Man, Cap, Thor, the Avengers in general. I'm lukewarm at best on the X-Men flicks; they totally over-emphasized Wolverine, and ruined Cyke.
      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
        I'm lukewarm at best on the X-Men flicks; they totally over-emphasized Wolverine, and ruined Cyke.
        And now they've introduced time travel.

Comment

I'm lukewarm at best on the X-Men flicks; they totally over-emphasized Wolverine, and ruined Cyke.
          And they're releasing yet another Wolverine movie next month called Logan based on the "Old Man Logan" storyline.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            And they're releasing yet another Wolverine movie next month called Logan based on the "Old Man Logan" storyline.
            Which...takes place in the future? It looks like it might be ok (probably better than the two previous Wolverine films), but I don't know how I feel about Wolverine Jr. here. I know she's been in the comics for a bit now, but it seems sorta hokey. Just like Wolverine, except with two claws instead of three? Goofy. I'm wondering if they'll ever reboot the X-Men series with a runt-sized Wolverine, instead of the giant 6'2" version we have now. I probably won't care by then though.

Comment

Which...takes place in the future? It looks like it might be ok (probably better than the two previous Wolverine films), but I don't know how I feel about Wolverine Jr. here. I know she's been in the comics for a bit now, but it seems sorta hokey. Just like Wolverine, except with two claws instead of three? Goofy. I'm wondering if they'll ever reboot the X-Men series with a runt-sized Wolverine, instead of the giant 6'2" version we have now. I probably won't care by then though.

To enbiggenate imagification
              start by clickifying on it and
              0000000000000hjw.jpg
              then clickifying on the
              resulting imagification

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

...I'm wondering if they'll ever reboot the X-Men series with a runt-sized Wolverine, instead of the giant 6'2" version we have now. ...
                THIS!!!

Did they never read the books? Did they have no clue at all that his name owed to the fact that the "actual" wolverine is a modest-sized critter with a really bad attitude, that can run off a griz? For well over a decade, it was a running thing in the comics that Wolverine's nemeses would call him "runt" because he was (per the original "Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe") 5'3".

He should have been played by... um... Greg Gutfeld? Danny Devito?
                Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

THIS!!!

Did they never read the books? Did they have no clue at all that his name owed to the fact that the "actual" wolverine is a modest-sized critter with a really bad attitude, that can run off a griz? For well over a decade, it was a running thing in the comics that Wolverine's nemeses would call him "runt" because he was (per the original "Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe") 5'3".

He should have been played by... um... Greg Gutfeld? Danny Devito?
                  The 5'3" Glenn Danzig was always my pick. Too old now.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    VERY loosely based. No Banner clan. Donald Pierce of the Hellfire Club will be the main villain.
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                      VERY loosely based. No Banner clan. Donald Pierce of the Hellfire Club will be the main villain.
                      You guys know WAY too much about comic books. Freaking nerds.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        For the record, I know almost nothing about Old Man Logan except the title, and some of the cover art. It came out after I was already through with comics. But yeah, I'll be the first to admit that comics are a nerdy hobby/genre. I didn't get into them until I was like 15 when my cousins got me into them in the mid to late 80s. Much later than Norrin did apparently. Before that I was content with my baseball card collection, garbage pail kids, and Mad magazine.

Comment

That's what
                          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Why can't you just be normal nerds and watch star trek?

Comment

Why can't you just be normal nerds and watch star trek?
                              Fallacy of the excluded middle. I watch both... except the Chris Pine movies... yack.gif
                              That's what
                              - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Fallacy of the excluded middle. I watch both... except the Chris Pine movies... [ATTACH=CONFIG]20870[/ATTACH]
                                You watch comic books?

Comment