Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Luhot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luhot

I was watching a YouTube video about Exodus 32:15. The man on the video insists that the Hebrew word Luhot actually means sapphires. Is this true? I'm having a hard time believing this.
    If anyone wants to read my Kindle Book, feel free to click this hyperlink: http://www.amazon.com/Key-Logic-Ted-...gic+ted+hickox

Originally posted by Speedlearner1 View Post
    I was watching a YouTube video about Exodus 32:15. The man on the video insists that the Hebrew word Luhot actually means sapphires. Is this true? I'm having a hard time believing this.
    The Jews already had a word for sapphire - sap·pîr
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Or panels, or plates, or boards (as in 1 Kings 7:36, Song of Solomon 8:9).
      When I Survey....

Comment

Have you considered you don't need to start threads for questions like this?

Comment

Is there another way to ask questions here?
          If anyone wants to read my Kindle Book, feel free to click this hyperlink: http://www.amazon.com/Key-Logic-Ted-...gic+ted+hickox

Comment

There is a forum for Biblical languages....

Comment

I was unaware of this. Thanks for informing me. Can you point me in the correct direction?

Comment

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fo...-Languages-301

Comment

Thank you very much.

Comment

Moderated By: Raphael

Moved to Biblical Languages 301

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                    Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                    -Ben Witherington III

Comment

It’s not the idea that luchoth means sapphire. But luchoth is some kind of thin, flat panel. In Exodus 24:10, Moses and the elders came to God, and he was standing on a pavement of sapphire (or the hebrew word sapphir could actually be lapis lazuli). “Pavement” would be thin, flat tiles of stone. So the Jews figured that God took two of those tiles to make the ten commandments. The luchoth are first mentioned just two verses after the pavement was described.
                      Since the tablets were stone, and sapphire is stone, it’s not unreasonable.

Comment

There is a tradition, somewhat based on the fact that Jewish garments were supposed to have blue tassels (Numbers 15:37-39). The Mishnah of the Babylonian Talmud, Tractate Avot 5:6 and Tractate Nedarim, folio 38a, suggest that the stones were made of sapphire. If so, the text must have been fine print. It's only a tradition, no basis in the Bible or geology for tha matter.
                        When I Survey....

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X