Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Gen. Flynn lied concerning his pre-innauguration communications with Russia.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
    So desperate to cling to the erroneous belief that acceptance of homosexuality results in a slippery slop to pedophilia.
    That's not what I'm saying at all, but you're apparently too dumb to realize it.

Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
    Do you think that “Western culture” of an earlier era, wherein slavery was accepted and women were legal chattels of men was “right” compared to today? Really! In what way is it superior?
    I didn't say that, either, but again, you're apparently too dumb to realize it.

Why don't you read my post again and see if you can understand what I am saying.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Reply to the OP this should look a little better its a local news source http://fox61.com/2017/03/03/russia-t...p-cant-escape/
      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        That's not what I'm saying at all,
        Really! Then why link homosexuality to pedophilia if you’re not making a slippery-slope argument? You argued that I’d “be fine” with morality "evolving to accept pedophilia, the way it has evolved to accept homosexuality". And I explained why I would not.

I didn't say that, either,
        You accused me of being bigoted by arguing that “Western culture is necessarily right and everybody else throughout history and the world today is wrong”. So again, are you defending the culture of an earlier era wherein slavery was accepted and women were legal chattels of men? Or are you agreeing with me that Western culture has become more enlightened over time?

Why don't you read my post again and see if you can understand what I am saying.
        I suggest you take your own advice.
        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
          That would suggest that there was plenty of poverty in the 1800s. Your comment suggests not that poverty was less prevalent, but that it was handled differently.
          No. It shows that poverty was typically temporary, and rarely a lifestyle.
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

You're really not very bright, are you?

Morality is simply the term we use to describe that which is consistent with God's character and nature. There's nothing arbitrary or circular about it.
            No it isn't. That's your definition.

What you just said is totally circular. You're defining morality as what's "consistent with God's character and nature." In other words: Morality is consistent with God's character and nature, and God's character and nature are consistent with morality. Totally circular.

You're really not very bright, are you?
            Blog: Atheism and the City

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by Impotent Man View Post
              I was answering The Stinker's question from within the context of theism since his question was asked within the context of theism, you idiot. To that end, your response is incoherent.
              And even in the context of theism you had to make a circular argument.

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Stinker View Post
                What you just said is totally circular. You're defining morality as what's "consistent with God's character and nature." In other words: Morality is consistent with God's character and nature, and God's character and nature are consistent with morality. Totally circular.
                Your rebuttal is incoherent. If God's character and nature is the standard for morality then it makes no sense to say that his character and nature is consistent with morality. Can a ruler be used to measure itself? Of course not. The notion itself is ludicrous. There's nothing circular about saying that X is the standard for Y.
                Last edited by Mountain Man; 03-21-2017, 06:24 PM.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Your rebuttal is incoherent. If God's character and nature is the standard for morality then it makes no sense to say that his character and nature is consistent with morality. Can a ruler be used to measure itself? Of course not. The notion itself is ludicrous. There's nothing circular about saying that X is the standard for Y.
                  The problem is that every theist confects his own version of "God's morality", and does that on extra-Biblical grounds. Would a modern-day theist really think it moral to kill his children for no good reason should God, as he did to Abraham, dictate such an act? Of course not! “God’s morality”, as contained in scripture, is relative to the values of the culture of the day and “God’s morality” is interpreted though this lens.
                  “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

No my rebuttal is not incoherent. Let me ask you this: why is god's character and nature the standard for morality? It either is for a reason, or for no reason. You cannot answer that a reason without making a circular argument.

What you're literally trying to do is just define your point of view into existence. By that logic anyone can define their point of view into existence.

....it makes no sense to say that his character and nature is consistent with morality...
                    I certainly agree with that.

Comment