Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Non-theistic Moral Realism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seer View Post
    Shuny Libertarian free will is grounded in the principle of contrary choice. Compatibilism does not accept that principle, neither does determinism - period. If you think otherwise please link a reference.
    What YOU need to explain is how libertarian free-will can be logically coherent in a determined universe, wherein decisions and actions are a consequence of antecedent states of affairs. I.e. how your LFW decisions can arise in a vacuum. Still waiting.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
      True, but the morals and ethics that maintain the family and community persist.

Originally posted by seer View Post
      OK
      We instinctively exercise the morals and ethics that maintain the family and community...as you agree. And, as the world shrinks and becomes more of a global village, we naturally tend to extend our community boundaries to encompass all peoples...as reflected in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. There are many Third Work countries or totalitarian regimes yet to be brought into the fold, but this is nevertheless the trend.
      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
        We instinctively exercise the morals and ethics that maintain the family and community...as you agree. And, as the world shrinks and becomes more of a global village, we naturally tend to extend our community boundaries to encompass all peoples...as reflected in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. There are many Third Work countries or totalitarian regimes yet to be brought into the fold, but this is nevertheless the trend.
        That is just silly Tass, Islam is on the rise, country after country is falling. Demographically even western Europe is now in danger. Your naive view of the world does not reflect the facts. But hey, it is all determined by the forces of nature. No worries.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

What YOU need to explain is how libertarian free-will can be logically coherent in a determined universe, wherein decisions and actions are a consequence of antecedent states of affairs. I.e. how your LFW decisions can arise in a vacuum. Still waiting.
          No, for this discussion I only need to show that my view of LFW is not the same as Compatibilism, which I did.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

No, for this discussion I only need to show that my view of LFW is not the same as Compatibilism, which I did.
            The moment you introduce "restrictions" to LFW you're referring to Compatibilism NOT LFW. Nor have you explained how LFW can be logically coherent in a universe in which every sequence of events is the consequence of an antecedent states of affairs.
            Last edited by Tassman; 03-17-2017, 11:18 PM.

Comment

That is just silly Tass, Islam is on the rise, country after country is falling. Demographically even western Europe is now in danger. Your naive view of the world does not reflect the facts. But hey, it is all determined by the forces of nature. No worries.
              Nevertheless we have a set of ideals to strive towards as enunciated by the Declaration of Human Rights and the International Criminal Court, which is an international tribunal that sits in The Hague. This is a notable development from the era of unchecked tribal warfare as per say, Moses and his genocides.

Comment

Shuny Libertarian free will is grounded in the principle of contrary choice. Compatibilism does not accept that principle, neither does determinism - period. If you think otherwise please link a reference.

Source: https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/compatibilism/

Compatibilism offers a solution to the free will problem, which concerns a disputed incompatibility between free will and determinism. Compatibilism is the thesis that free will is compatible with determinism. Because free will is typically taken to be a necessary condition of moral responsibility, compatibilism is sometimes expressed as a thesis about the compatibility between moral responsibility and determinism.

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                  Source: https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/compatibilism/

Compatibilism offers a solution to the free will problem, which concerns a disputed incompatibility between free will and determinism. Compatibilism is the thesis that free will is compatible with determinism. Because free will is typically taken to be a necessary condition of moral responsibility, compatibilism is sometimes expressed as a thesis about the compatibility between moral responsibility and determinism.

© Copyright Original Source

No Shuny, as my link demonstrated Libertarian free will classically meant the ability to do otherwise. If you want to redefine freedom then yes, but your definition is just warmed over determinism - no one is arguing that men can not act on their desires and nature, but those desires and that nature are still determined by antecedent conditions.

Comment

Nevertheless we have a set of ideals to strive towards as enunciated by the Declaration of Human Rights and the International Criminal Court, which is an international tribunal that sits in The Hague. This is a notable development from the era of unchecked tribal warfare as per say, Moses and his genocides.
                    Goals? Where do these goals come from? And why are they objectively more correct or valid than those of the Muslim or Communist?

Comment

No Shuny, as my link demonstrated Libertarian free will classically meant the ability to do otherwise. If you want to redefine freedom then yes, but your definition is just warmed over determinism - no one is arguing that men can not act on their desires and nature, but those desires and that nature are still determined by antecedent conditions.
                      You asked for a link that describes what Compatibilism is. The contrary view of the incompatibilists is simply that an opposing view and does no determine nor prove compatibiism does not allow free will.

You can make assertions all day 365 days a year, but it does not prove your case in philosophy,
                      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Goals? Where do these goals come from?
                        Why they come from God of course. Just kidding!

As a social species our ideals are grounded in our evolved genetic predisposition to live in cohesive communities. It’s an instinctive survival mechanism.

And why are they objectively more correct or valid than those of the Muslim or Communist?
                        ...or Christian!

The Universal Declaration of Human Rights reflects the instinctive values and ideals of humanity and has gained the force of International Law. It overrides the tribal/ideological/sectarian interests of individual nations or religions.

Comment

No, that’s Compatibilism.

Compatibilism is the belief that free will and determinism are compatible ideas, and that it is possible to have both, to a greater or lessor degree, without being logically inconsistent.

Conversely, LFW is logically incoherent because it does not allow for the effect of antecedent conditions that impact upon every decision and event; i.e. one's decisions arise from a vacuum, which of course is nonsensical.

Comment

The Universal Declaration of Human Rights reflects the instinctive values and ideals of humanity and has gained the force of International Law. It overrides the tribal/ideological/sectarian interests of individual nations or religions.
                            That is nonsense, the values of the Communist or Muslim are just as instinctive.

Comment

No, that’s Compatibilism.

Compatibilism is the belief that free will and determinism are compatible ideas, and that it is possible to have both, to a greater or lessor degree, without being logically inconsistent.
                              That only works if you redefine free will to mean that we can freely act according to our nature without external influence (the ability to do otherwise is not included). But heck my dog can do that, so I guess by your lights my Aussie has free will.

Comment

That is nonsense, the values of the Communist or Muslim are just as instinctive.
                                . . . so are Jewish and Christian.

Frank

Comment