Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Dawkins Delusion 2: Dick's off-the-cuff answers to famous arguments. (With visuals!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
    Okay, I guess it makes sense for deductive arguments to allow for exceptions we have no evidence for depending upon the situation. I admit to being a novice in these matters.
    No worries. I'm a beginner as well.

I don't think that's appropriate.

I'm not sure I understand why not. From my reading, quite a bit of philosophy is written with assumed or hypothetical premises. Do you mean that it is inappropriate here? I'm sorry, but I'm probably just not understanding because I'm tired.

Quite a bit of chapter two is comprised of Dawkins arguing against the idea of non-overlapping magisteria. He thinks that religious questions should be solved with scientific answers. So why should his argument against the first cause be responded to with a scientifically dubious conclusion?
    It's a good question. And while it might be shabby of me not to answer now, I believe I have a good number of highlights on NOMA that I'd like to discuss in my longer post. So if I can beg off until then...

fwiw,
    guacamole
    "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
    Hear my cry, hear my shout,
    Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      I believe you are over stating Negal's objections. He represents only a somewhat different view to Dawkins in the same Philosophical Naturalism argument.

To argue your point you need to more fully cite NEgal's view and not a second hand source with a selective citation.
      Nagel is not among my philosophical heroes, but your deliberate and defiant misspelling of his name shows a level of disrespect that I find repulsive.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
        Nagel is not among my philosophical heroes, but your deliberate and defiant misspelling of his name shows a level of disrespect that I find repulsive.
        Your humility, and anal retentive sense of perfection is overwhelming.
        Last edited by shunyadragon; 02-18-2017, 07:58 AM.
        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
          Originally posted by 37818 View Post
          Not even very original. In "Why I Am Not a Christian" an essay by Bertrand Russell, presented the same question. ["Who created the creator?"]
          Yeah. [Dawkins] gives nods to Russell a couple of times. I blame Russell more for some of the worse arguments because Russell was a mathematician and philosopher and should have known better.
          There is, of course, the possibility that he did know better but had so thoroughly rejected theism that he simply didn't care.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            There is, of course, the possibility that he did know better but had so thoroughly rejected theism that he simply didn't care.
            Nah. Russell despised poor argument even more than he did theism. If he made any poor arguments, and the weakness of that argument was demonstrated to him, he would very likely abandon it.
            "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
            --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
              Nah. Russell despised poor argument even more than he did theism. If he made any poor arguments, and the weakness of that argument was demonstrated to him, he would very likely abandon it.
              Which begs the question, why did he present an argument that is so self-evidently poor?
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                Which begs the question, why did he present an argument that is so self-evidently poor?
                EDIT: Got my Russell arguments confused.

When Russell asks the "from whence God?" question, he notes that the proposed answer to that problem from theology is that God is a necessary, eternal entity. Russell's response is to note that a person could easily level a similar claim for the cosmos, itself.
                Last edited by Boxing Pythagoras; 02-22-2017, 03:32 PM.
                "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
                --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment