Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Lee Strobel's "The Case for Christ"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lee Strobel's "The Case for Christ"

Does anybody know anything about this?

The trailer is here -

I've seen Strobel criticized here on Tweb (I think) but I don't remember if it was fellow Christians or the opposition.

Ah, I see The Wall mentioned it here.... but no responses.
    Last edited by Cow Poke; 02-13-2017, 09:07 AM.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I liked the book, but I have yet to see a Christian movie that didn't come across as hokey and corny as heck. I am sure they will ruin the whole thing. For one thing, the book doesn't come across as dramatic at all. So trying to make a dramatic movie about it is going to fall flat. If they make the movie like the book, all about actual evidence and experts, it will be very dry and boring for a movie.

Comment

Great book but how are the interviews going to Work? I respect Strobel and would not want people comparing him to the God's not dead films.
      sigpic

Comment

Pureflix. This is not a good sign.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
          Pureflix. This is not a good sign.
          each to his own I suppose, I rather like the movies Pureflix does.

I'll also not that God's Not Dead 2 handled Gary Habermas putting across stuff very well.
          Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
          1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
          -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
            Pureflix.
            Wat? Is that like Netflix with boring movies?
            "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
            Hear my cry, hear my shout,
            Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
              Wat? Is that like Netflix with boring movies?
              some of their movies:
              God's Not Dead
              God's Not Dead 2
              Do You Believe?
              Woodlawn
              I am Not Ashamed

And now Case for Christ and coming up is God's Not Dead 3
              Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
              1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
              -Ben Witherington III

Comment

In my honest opinion a movie I think would work would be something along the lines of Peter Kreefts Between Heaven and Hell a dialouge vetween C.S Lewis John F Kennedy and Adlous Huxley.
                sigpic

Comment

Looking into this movie I am more excited than with Gods not dead. Still I really hope this doesnt make Strobel look bad.
                  sigpic

Comment

I caught this trailer on Facebook over the weekend, and it looks okay, but the music is really way too dramatic for the tone of the film. I haven't seen any of the other films that this production company has released, but if it's like most Christian movie production companies, I know what to expect.

I have mixed feelings about the film altogether. On the one hand, Christian films are generally pretty hokey, and The Case For Christ, specifically, is not very deep material to pull from. You get a bit of Strobel's bio in the beginning of the book, but the rest is very intro apologetics stuff. On the other hand, I have to admit that The Case for Christ, and Will the Real Jesus Please Stand Up were the first two books that really introduced me to apologetics in a big way. I knew that people were talking about these things...someplace, it just seemed inaccessible to me. I thought you had to go to a seminary or something in order to learn this stuff. So it really blew my mind to realize that people were writing lay level works on it, and had been doing so for a very long time. I didn't even know who CS Lewis was at the time. Or if I did, I mistook him for Lewis Carroll or something. I wasn't part of the Christian "scene" at all, so The Case for Christ was great for someone like me.

My main issue with this film is that it's unlikely to do anything but be ridiculed by those skeptics who need it the most. But I am encouraged that another group, certain Christians, will get something out of it big time.

I have friends and family who are Christian who are incredibly faithful, who love God, who pray regularly, who help out in their community, who even have high positions in their local congregation, do teaching and preaching, and evangelism, and the whole 9 yards, but have little to no interest in apologetics or theology. I want people like that to be blessed by something like this, because God knows that I've tried getting them into it, and I was met with absolutely no interest at all. I've actually bought this book for a number of people because I know how intro level it is, and they've been collecting dust for ages. I've bought a number of similarly lay level books for family members (CS Lewis, John Sailhamer, or NT Wright's popular stuff), and they found the material too complicated to get into. Hopefully this movie will appeal to someone like my mom, who has done more for God than anyone I know. She's an amazing woman, but she has zero interest in apologetics or theology. If this dumb film can help bring it to her on a tearjerker level that gets her interested in it, then I say bring it on.

Comment

It's a good resource for a popular audience and hopefully has brought some people into the kingdom. I would recommend it without reservation if not for the chapter on Old Testament prophecy, which I believe uses poor arguments, but that's just one chapter.
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                        It's a good resource for a popular audience and hopefully has brought some people into the kingdom. I would recommend it without reservation if not for the chapter on Old Testament prophecy, which I believe uses poor arguments, but that's just one chapter.
                        I'll agree with this assessment of the book. Unfortunately, I was much less a fan of the sequels (well, Case for the Real Jesus was okay).

I don't have much of any hopes for the film, though, particularly considering the studio's previous output, outside of it maybe making some people read the book.
                        Last edited by Terraceth; 03-30-2017, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                          I'll agree with this assessment of the book. Unfortunately, I was much less a fan of the sequels (well, Case for the Real Jesus was okay).

I don't have much of any hopes for the film, though, particularly considering the studio's previous output, outside of it maybe making some people read the book.
                          It's been years since I've read any of it. I do remember The Case for Faith devoting an entire chapter to evolution, while arguing against abiogenesis and not even touching the subject of evolution.
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            It's been years since I've read any of it. I do remember The Case for Faith devoting an entire chapter to evolution, while arguing against abiogenesis and not even touching the subject of evolution.
                            I was fine with that chapter from what I remember of. True, he doesn't really touch the subject of evolution, but that was part of the point of the chapter; the argument posed was "evolution explains life, so God isn't necessary." The counterargument presented was that even if evolution is true, abiogenesis was still an unsolved puzzle so you can't say that evolution solves everything. I thought it was a decent enough counterargument so I'm not sure why he felt the need to take on evolution directly in the (much more poorly argued) Case for a Creator.

On the subject of the film, I'm pleasantly surprised to see it's actually getting decent reviews (so far) according to Rotten Tomatoes.

Comment