Announcement

Collapse

Islam Guidelines

Theists only.

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to Islam. This forum is generally for theists only, and is not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theist may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

What is a Hadith?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a Hadith?

David Wood constantly refers to Hadiths. What are Hadiths?
    If anyone wants to read my Kindle Book, feel free to click this hyperlink: http://www.amazon.com/Key-Logic-Ted-...gic+ted+hickox

Commentary on the Quran and life of Mohammed by his contemporaries.
    sigpic

Comment

Google is your friend

Muslims consider them sacred although Sunni and Shiites disagree over which ones are.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It translates to "Traditions" from what I remember, and they are collections of sayings about Mohammed, the Quran, and even some things about Mohammed's companions. The Hadith are some of the best sources to get historical information about early Islam.

Comment

Commentary of the Quran are Tafsir (exegesis)

Ahadith are reports of the sayings, actions of the Prophet (pbuh) and there are different ways of compiling these collections. The classification and study of this material is a science (has a methodology).

Authentication of the ahadith fall into 5 categories from strong to weak/false and is based on Isnad (chain of narration). This chain has its own methodology---such as the existence and reputation of the narrator/s, witnesses to the account, corroborating evidence or lack of...etc....

The Quran is not ahadith---To Muslims, the author of the Quran is not the Prophet (pbuh).

"Tradition"(Sunnah) includes the ahadith but also includes other sources such as biography, historical accounts of the period etc....

Apart from the sayings of the Prophet, there are another set called the Hadith Qudsi (Qudsi = holy/sacred). These are highly spiritual.

Comment

Problems of hadith

Comment

Thanks for the information. I do have one more question, though. I know when I read the United States constitution that there is a list of rights and amendments. Is there a similar list of rules and amendments for Sharia Law? I've watched a lot of David Wood's videos and sometimes I don't comprehend what he's talking about.

Now that I've watched many of David Wood's videos, I can finally see why Christians oppose the Qu'ran. Personally I would never read this book or follow any of it's commands. I can actually say that I knew next to nothing about Islam until I started watching his videos. I'm glad he's on YouTube explaining all this information.
              If anyone wants to read my Kindle Book, feel free to click this hyperlink: http://www.amazon.com/Key-Logic-Ted-...gic+ted+hickox

Comment

Originally posted by Speedlearner1 View Post
                Thanks for the information. I do have one more question, though. I know when I read the United States constitution that there is a list of rights and amendments. Is there a similar list of rules and amendments for Sharia Law? I've watched a lot of David Wood's videos and sometimes I don't comprehend what he's talking about.

Now that I've watched many of David Wood's videos, I can finally see why Christians oppose the Qu'ran. Personally I would never read this book or follow any of it's commands. I can actually say that I knew next to nothing about Islam until I started watching his videos. I'm glad he's on YouTube explaining all this information.
                I do not watch David Wood.

As a Muslim, I have read the Quran many times. I find much wisdom in it. My family tradition is to read it in the morning...so I often do so...The Quran is divided into 30 Juz (sections) so that Muslims can read it cover to cover during the month of fasting (Ramadan). So even those Muslims who do not read it every day---will have read it through at least once a year.

The Quran is NOT Hadith (sayings of the Prophet)---I hope this point is clear. The Prophet himself separated "revelation" from the expressions of his own thoughts/opinions.

Here is an example of an advice from the Quran---would you follow it or oppose it?

Surah 107
                Do you see him who calls the reckoning a lie?
                He is the one who casts the orphan away
                who fails to urge the feeding of one in need
                Cursed are those who perform the prayer
                Unmindful of how they pray
                Who make of themselves a display
                but hold back small kindness.

Though the Quran was revealed 1400 years ago, its wisdom is still relevant...this verse speaks of the human condition of ignoring those around us in our egoic pursuit of a religious identity. It therefore advices us that "worship of God" occurs in the everyday acts of kindness...and this is the condition we must cultivate in ourselves.

The Quran is full of such wisdom---but not just the Quran---all sacred books have spiritual wisdom to impart to believers---that is why these books are so loved.

The Quran is a small book of 114 "chapters" or Surah (by contrast the ahadith collections are vast and have many volumes)

Sharia---Not sure how much you know---so I will start with the basics?......
                Christians have the 10 commandments...(?)
                Jews have the 613 mitzvot
                Muslims have something similar but it is vast and diverse and its called Sharia.
                Jews have the mizvot (ritual laws) and Halaka ("Law") likewise Sharia has both ritual rules (such as how to pray...etc) as well as Fiqh (Law).
                There are 5 major schools of Sharia and probably some minor ones. The differences in the schools arise from the different weight given to the "sources" of law.
                ---Your question of Rights falls under Fiqh, so let me explain it.....
                In the West there are different types of law systems such as Statutory law, Common law, Civil law....and they have their own methodology.
                Likewise Sharia/Fiqh also has its own sources and methodology as well as developments (it is after all 1400 yrs old!!!) Islam is a wholistic ethico-moral system and therefore the practice of "law" also requires ethico-moral principles.
                (IMO) some general principles are a) Equality of all human beings b) Innocent until proven guilty c) justice must be balanced by compassion and mercy and d) Rights are balanced by Responsibilities.
                Islamic ethico-morality is not binary---right/wrong but has 5 catagories/degrees from right (Halal) to wrong (Haram)

The Rights/Responsibilities are put forth in the Maqasid al Sharia (Purpose/objectives of law)

Protection of Deen (way of life/religion)
                Protection of Nafs (life)
                Protection of Nasl (lineage/progeny)
                Protection of Aql (intellect/knowledge)
                Protection of Mal (property/wealth)

The Principles (ethico-moral wisdom) is unchanging---but its implementation is subject to change because of changes in the circumstances, environment, or interpretations. Scholars are free to debate issues within the different schools of Sharia as well as among them and give legal opinions (fatwa)

I appreciate that you made the effort to ask...I hope you will continue to do so and look forward to further conversations.....

Comment

Actually Jews and Christians have the 10 commandments and I stand by all of them.

The only difference between Jews and Christians is the belief that Jesus is the Messiah. I personally believe that Jesus is God and was resurrected. I can support this belief with John Chapter 5 verses 18-23. Jesus personally vouched for the accuracy of the Old Testament. So that's why I worship YHWH and Yeshua.

Though I don't believe in the teachings of Muhommad, I see no reason why Christians shouldn't know what his teaching were. A Christian can know what athiests, buddists, or pagans are taught and yet not believe a word of their teachings. Obviously knowing and believing are two different things.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedlearner1 View Post
                    David Wood constantly refers to Hadiths. What are Hadiths?
                    As far as I know, Mohammed's twitter or blog, as opposed to his "prophecy" site.
                    http://notontimsblogroundhere.blogspot.fr/p/apologetics-section.html

Thanks, Sparko, for telling how I add the link here!

Comment

Jews have 613 "commandments"---which they call mitzvot--the 10 are included....

It is good to know what others hold sacred...it helps us increase understanding and compassion. But it is better to know from a person who practices their beliefs...so knowing Buddhism from a Buddhist or Judaism from a Jew, will give you deeper insights and knowledge.

Originally posted by hansgeorg View Post
                      As far as I know, Mohammed's twitter or blog, as opposed to his "prophecy" site.
                      probably more like twitter...the Quran might be more like a blog (God's blog) There is not much "prophesy" (foretelling future) in the Quran. There is stuff about heaven and hell and judgement day and stuff---does that fall into the prophesy category? Much of the Quran is advice about what one should or should not do...some examples are--

Do not gossip (49:12)
                      Do not defame others (49:11)
                      Greet each other (4:86)
                      Do not be contemptuous or arrogant (31:18)
                      If misconduct occurs correct yourself expediently (3:134)
                      Do not be a hypocrite (3:16)
                      .....and many more such advice on etiquette and ethics....on a range of subjects from marriage, family, economics, law, governance...etc....

The Catholic Church has something called Catechism (?) not sure what it is but it seems to give advice on a range of subjects from prayers to just war to interfaith relations and such....?.....

Comment

why do Christians have only 10 commandments? or do they have more elsewhere under a different label? How do Christians know when and how to pray or do other rituals such as lent or whatever?

Comment

The main difference between Christians observing the 10 commandments and the Pharisees, Saducees, and Essines observing the 10 commandments is the reason for the observation.

The Pharisees, Saducees, and Essines do it because they feel an obligation to do it. Christians, on the other hand, do it because we love all humanity. Our love for humanity compels us to abide by the 10 commandments. That's why Jesus said I give you a new law. Love your God with all of your heart and love your neighbor as yourself. All other commandments are based on this love.

Remember, what Christians consider Easter is also the Jewish Passover feast. So we compare our calendar with the Jewish calendar.

Christians pray when our hearts are compelled to pray. This is in reference to the parable of the Good Samaritan. By the way, not all Christians observe Lent.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X