Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Senator Kid Rock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Senator Kid Rock?

Nobody would have thought this possible several years ago, but what would surprise us anymore?

Growing up, I am ashamed to say, I did listen to him, back before he became a country singer, when he was more of a rapper, and his records had some lyrics that made Donald Trump's hidden video comments look tame by comparison. But celebrities seem to be held to a different standard. Al Franken also made some rather offensive comments in his past that didn't seem to be a big deal for him politically because "it's comedy".

The guy is extremely charismatic, I'll give him that.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...-michigan.html
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

I remember how on Jay Leno's Tonight Show during his segment called Jay walking (where Leno would walk around Hollywood asking people basic questions about history and the like and recording the often bizarre answers he got) he came across a young man wearing a funny hat who loudly introduced himself as "Kid Rock." Leno smiled and replied something like "I'm sure Mr. and Mrs. Rock are proud." Not long after I saw a music video by the same young man.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It should be noted that in recent years we've had a number of actors who have been elected to office. Most notable of course would be Ronald Reagan who was president but there have been numerous others. From memory alone:
      • Fred Grandy: "Gopher" on The Love Boat was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives
      • Ben Jones: "Cooter" on The Dukes of Hazard was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives
      • Sonny Bono: actor but more famous for being half of the singing duo Sonny and Cher was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives
      • Jesse "the Body" Ventura: actor and professional wrestler was elected Governor
      • Arnold Schwarzenegger: also elected Governor
      • Fred Thompson: actor in several movies was elected to the U.S. Senate, ran for president and returned to acting
      • Al Franken: Saturday Night Live writer, actor and unfunny comedian was elected to the U.S. Senate

And of course Donald Trump although I don't know if playing himself in The Apprentice counts as being an actor

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        It should be noted that in recent years we've had a number of actors who have been elected to office. Most notable of course would be Ronald Reagan who was president but there have been numerous others. From memory alone:
        • Fred Grandy: "Gopher" on The Love Boat was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives
        • Ben Jones: "Cooter" on The Dukes of Hazard was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives
        • Sonny Bono: actor but more famous for being half of the singing duo Sonny and Cher was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives
        • Jesse "the Body" Ventura: actor and professional wrestler was elected Governor
        • Fred Thompson: actor in several movies was elected to the U.S. Senate, ran for president and returned to acting
        • Al Franken: Saturday Night Live writer, actor and unfunny comedian was elected to the U.S. Senate

And of course Donald Trump although I don't know if playing himself in The Apprentice counts as being an actor
        You forgot Clint "do you feel lucky punk" Eastwood!

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

If you add in sports stars, your list would grow quite a bit.

And didn't Jerry Springer get elected?
          Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Threads like this make me think, "Heck, I could probably run for office."

Then I realize that I'm probably not qualified, because I try to be honest and stuff.
            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
              Threads like this make me think, "Heck, I could probably run for office."

Then I realize that I'm probably not qualified, because I try to be honest and stuff.
              Nobody actually qualified for office would ever run for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                Nobody actually qualified for office would ever run for it.
                And in general, the people who want to do it are those of whom we ought to be suspicious.
                "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
                Hear my cry, hear my shout,
                Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
                  And in general, the people who want to do it are those of whom we ought to be suspicious.
                  Generally the type of people who are attracted to political office are narcissistic, power-hungry, sociopaths.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    You forgot Clint "do you feel lucky punk" Eastwood!
                    I was limiting it to major office holding positions rather than mayors of small communities and the like. And again, I was going from memory so I'm sure I overlooked someone or even a few.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post

Again, not a major office holder and he was a mayor a good bit before becoming a TV celebrity.

Comment

I believe he did before he became a TV star.
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

A few that I can think of excluding Jesse Ventura (if you consider pro wrestling a "sport"):
                          • Jim Bunning: played baseball and was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives & later the Senate
                          • Bill Bradley: played basketball and was elected to the U.S. Senate
                          • Jack Kemp: played football and was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives & later was Bob Dole's running mate as his Vice President pick
                          • Alan Page: played football and was elected to Minnesota's Supreme Court

I'm sure there are many more, especially if you include playing college sports but I was trying to limit it to the professional level.

Comment

I'd prefer him to about 90% of politicians I know about. So.

Comment

A new twist to the story

Source: Ted Nugent vs. Kid Rock in Michigan Race?

Motor City Madman threatens Senate run00000000000000tn.jpgSource

© Copyright Original Source

smiley shock-wait.gif

The story continues at the above link but contains strong language.
                              Last edited by rogue06; 02-18-2017, 10:46 AM.

Comment