Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

more liberal white privilege nonsense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
    The new starter was $352.00 but that may have included an oil change.
    The thing is, the Jeep wasn't due for an oil change.
    One cannot expect a grieving widow to know these things.
    Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by Trout View Post
      Bought with white man's money.
      So you do use white privilege!

Comment

Jeeps are the Red Man's new War Ponies.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          Jeeps are the Red Man's new War Ponies.
          They're gonna lose hard again.
          Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by Bisto View Post
            I see. Thanks for the examples. I don't suppose you guys know of an 'birth-assigned black' later identifying as white or some other combination?

This whole thing feels weird. Why does the world, according to its own assumptions, not accept them? What logic embraces and celebrates transgenderism, for example, and yet rejects these individuals as "blackface" or whatever (as the Wiki entries say they get called)?
            Actually.... here in my own Guatemala there are people who were "assigned" a Maya identity (be it Quiché, Kakchikel, Tzutujil, etc.) at birth, but those who move to the cities (looking for better job opportunities), they tend to gravitate away from their Maya identity, and end up embracing the "Ladino" identity (Ladino is the Western influenced and hispanicized individual in Guatemala, usually called "Blanco" or "Mestizo" in other Latin American countries). The Maya and Ladino identities tend to be attached with their physical traits (Mayas having the usual "Mesoamerican" traits, whilst Ladinos having the usual "Europenesque" traits), but that hasn't stopped Mayas at all over many generations in switching identities over time.
            Last edited by Andius; 02-20-2017, 11:51 AM.
            Ladino, Guatemalan, Hispanic, and Latin, but foremostly, Christian.
            As of the 1st of December, 2020, officially anointed as this:

"Seinfeld had its Soup Nazi. Tweb has its Taco Nazi." - Rogue06 , https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...e3#post1210559

Comment

Even more WP nonsense.

Now a college is expecting white students to pay black students for "Emotional Labor"

Source: http://claremontindependent.com/scripps-college-nonwhite-students-should-be-paid-for-sharing-their-opinions/

Scripps College: Nonwhite Students Should Be Paid For Sharing Their Opinions
              February 28, 2017 Elliot Dordick

Scripps College resident assistants (RAs) recently hung two types of signs titled “Emotional Labor 101” across campus. One of the signs, printed on a white background, is titled, “Quick Guide For White Students.” The other poster, printed on black paper, is titled, “Quick Guide For People Of Color And Marginalized Backgrounds.”

Both signs, which are marked with the Scripps College administration’s stamp of approval, define “emotional labor” as “the exertion of energy for the purpose of addressing people’s feelings, educating, making people comfortable, or living up to social ‘expectations.’” The sign addressing non-white students notes, “Victims of emotional labor can be cornered in the classrooms, on social media, or in social events. If you are constantly having to explain or defend this could be you.” The poster then asks, “What can I do about it?” and states, “First and Foremost: Take care of yourself. Decide if it’s worth your time. The burden does not rest on your shoulders! Remove yourself if possible/necessary. You don’t owe anyone anything at the expense of your mental health. / Second: If you do decide to engage, practice some of these tips to avoid overexertion for the sake of educating: Refer to a friendly Google search of the concept in question; Call in professors and white peers to help educate their peer(s); Charge for your services. If you’ve decided you’re going to do it, at least get paid; Visit your designated [dean of students on campus] to talk about ways to address the mental toll.”

The guide addressed to white students, rather than discussing the ways one can undergo “emotional labor,” asks “How do I know I’m causing someone emotional labor? Ask yourself these questions: Could I have Googled the answer but I chose not to? Do I find myself in a situation where people of color or people from a marginalized group are educating me? What power dynamics are at play? Do I find myself getting defensive? Are people telling me I’m causing them emotional labor?” The message to white students ends by listing options for “What can I do about [causing others emotional labor]?” The poster states that white students should “Be mindful of your place and position. Google it! Seek community of white people who are educating themselves/thinking about social justice issues. Compensate the labor you caused. Educate yourself, take advantage of ethnic studies courses, the internet, and SCORE [Scripps Communities of Resources and Empowerment] . Take ownership for the harm you caused. Do better next time!”

Neither the Scripps College nor the RAs whose email addresses are listed on the posters responded to requests for comment.

17093041_10154854537442419_952132880_o-1038x576.jpg
              click to enlarge

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                Nonwhite Students Should Be Paid For Sharing Their Opinions
                Can I get a quote for some peace and quiet?

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
                  Can I get a quote for some peace and quiet?
                  sure. I will leave you alone for the small price of One Million Dollars.

pirate evil.jpg

Comment

I'm all for different groups of people learning about certain privileges they have/don't have but I'm not sure about this method.

For example, I'm all for teaching men to be aware of certain behaviors that women generally don't like. In Europe, they teach Syrian refugees how to deal with Western women, and things like "if you see a woman provocatively dressed, it's not ok to rape her because of that."

More closer to home, some men/boys actually need to be taught that women are not obligated to have sex with them if they're nice to them.
                    Blog: Atheism and the City

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by The Thinker View Post
                      I'm all for different groups of people learning about certain privileges they have/don't have but I'm not sure about this method.

For example, I'm all for teaching men to be aware of certain behaviors that women generally don't like. In Europe, they teach Syrian refugees how to deal with Western women, and things like "if you see a woman provocatively dressed, it's not ok to rape her because of that."

More closer to home, some men/boys actually need to be taught that women are not obligated to have sex with them if they're nice to them.
                      And also that sending a lady close-up pictures of your phallus is also largely frowned upon...

Comment

It is unfortunate that because of the superficial nature of this thread it fails to address the real issues of 'white privilege' in the history of the USA and today. There is a more than 200 years of history behind this. Our past leads to the present and will not conveniently go away. White privilege begins with slavery, which persisted in various forms such penal servitude up into the 20th century to a feudal restrictive system of labor and segregation. The bloody riots and brutal racial suppression and oppression after WWI in cities like Chicago and Wilmington, NC crippled the middle class in these and other cities which they never recovered. Discrimination in severely limiting the access of blacks to government housing loans, and farm loans, over half of the black farms in this country were lost, post World War II further disadvantaged blacks, and amplified white privilege. White privilege continues up to today in Law enforcement and many other aspects of our society.

Source: http://www.cpt.org/files/Undoing%20Racism%20-%20Understanding%20White%20Privilege%20-%20Kendall.pdf

Privilege, particularly white or male privilege, is hard to see for those of us who were born with access to power and resources. It is very visible for those to whom privilege was not granted. Furthermore, the subject is
                        extremely difficult to talk about because many white people don’t feel powerful or as if they have privileges others do not. It is sort of like asking fish to notice water or birds to discuss air. For those who have privileges based on race or gender or class or physical ability or sexual orientation, or age, it just is- it’s normal. The Random House Dictionary (1993) defines privilege as “a right, immunity, or benefit enjoyed only by a
                        person beyond the advantages of most.” In her article, “White Privilege and Male Privilege,” Peggy McIntosh (1995) reminds us that those of us who are white usually believe that privileges are “conditions of daily experience… [that are] universally available to everybody.” Further, she says that what we are really talking about is “unearned power conferred systematically” (pp. 82-83)

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                          It is unfortunate that because of the superficial nature of this thread it fails to address the real issues of 'white privilege' in the history of the USA and today. There is a more than 200 years of history behind this. Our past leads to the present and will not conveniently go away. White privilege begins with slavery, which persisted in various forms such penal servitude up into the 20th century to a feudal restrictive system of labor and segregation. The bloody riots and brutal racial suppression and oppression after WWI in cities like Chicago and Wilmington, NC crippled the middle class in these and other cities which they never recovered. Discrimination in severely limiting the access of blacks to government housing loans, and farm loans, over half of the black farms in this country were lost, post World War II further disadvantaged blacks, and amplified white privilege. White privilege continues up to today in Law enforcement and many other aspects of our society.

Source: http://www.cpt.org/files/Undoing%20Racism%20-%20Understanding%20White%20Privilege%20-%20Kendall.pdf

Privilege, particularly white or male privilege, is hard to see for those of us who were born with access to power and resources. It is very visible for those to whom privilege was not granted. Furthermore, the subject is
                          extremely difficult to talk about because many white people don’t feel powerful or as if they have privileges others do not. It is sort of like asking fish to notice water or birds to discuss air. For those who have privileges based on race or gender or class or physical ability or sexual orientation, or age, it just is- it’s normal. The Random House Dictionary (1993) defines privilege as “a right, immunity, or benefit enjoyed only by a
                          person beyond the advantages of most.” In her article, “White Privilege and Male Privilege,” Peggy McIntosh (1995) reminds us that those of us who are white usually believe that privileges are “conditions of daily experience… [that are] universally available to everybody.” Further, she says that what we are really talking about is “unearned power conferred systematically” (pp. 82-83)

Where is that barf smiley?

I hope you feel a lot of white guilt Shuny. I hope it keeps you up at night and you give half of your income to some black charity to repay your part in slavery, and holding back the black man.

Comment

Last edited by rogue06; 03-03-2017, 12:23 PM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
                              And also that sending a lady close-up pictures of your phallus is also largely frowned upon...
                              We need to raise girls in our society to appreciate close up pictures of your phallus as a prized possession.
                              Blog: Atheism and the City

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

The thing that really bothers me about this thread is the typo in the title.
                                I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment