Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Fake News outlet WSJ go after youtuber Pewdiepie for being a "nazi".

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darth Ovious View Post
    Jim, in that video he litterally gave WSJ the middle finger. He lost his backing from Disney because WSJ approached Disney and put them under pressure. Pewdiepie apoligised to those he may have offended with his edgy humour but he ripped into WSJ for calling him a nazi when he isn't.

My goodness, your grasp on context is shockingly bad on things if you watched his video and thats what you got from it.
    I think part of what some of us are trying to figure out is if WSJ actually called him a Nazi or if this is simply more of Brietbart's creative manufacturing of reality.
    "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
    Hear my cry, hear my shout,
    Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      got a link to the WSJ article (or copy of it since WSJ is subscription?)
      I'm in work just now. I'm busy tonight as well but you can watch some other Youtubers who covered it by referencing the article. I learned about it from Sargon of Akkad and Computing Forever (Dave Cullen).
      “I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.” - C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
        I think part of what some of us are trying to figure out is if WSJ actually called him a Nazi or if this is simply more of Brietbart's creative manufacturing of reality.
        They basically acussed him of being an anti-semite who uses nazi images in his videos. The problem of taking him out of context still remains however.
        “I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.” - C.S. Lewis

Comment

They basically acussed him of being an anti-semite who uses nazi images in his videos. The problem of taking him out of context still remains however.
          I get the schtick. I want to read the article for myself since watching anything by kewdiepie is giving me intracranial bleeding.
          Save me, save me"

Comment

I get the schtick. I want to read the article for myself since watching anything by kewdiepie is giving me intracranial bleeding.
            I suggest looking at it from another source like I mentioned above. Sargon is pretty good at having his sources on screen when he does his videos so I recommend watching his vid on it.

Comment

From what I can tell, Disney and Youtube dropped him for his videos and the WSJ reported on it. Shouldn't he be upset with Disney and Google? Sounds like WSJ just reported on it, and took the side of Disney in their reporting.

Comment

From what I can tell, Disney and Youtube dropped him for his videos and the WSJ reported on it. Shouldn't he be upset with Disney and Google? Sounds like WSJ just reported on it, and took the side of Disney in their reporting.
                According to Pewdiepie they dropped him because of pressure from WSJ.

Comment

According to Pewdiepie they dropped him because of pressure from WSJ.
                  I can't read the article because it is subscription, but this is the original story from WSJ as far as I can tell:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/disney-...sts-1487034533

and it says in the readable part:

Disney Severs Ties With YouTube Star PewDiePie After Anti-Semitic Posts
                  Move came after the Journal asked about videos in which he included anti-Semitic jokes or Nazi imagery

Felix Kjellberg, who has 53 million subscribers to his “PewDiePie” YouTube channel, reacts as ​​​​two men hold up a sign saying “Death to All Jews,” in a screenshot of a video ​he ​posted online. Mr. Kjellberg paid them to hold up the sign. The video was published Jan. 11 and pulled from YouTube this past weekend. The Indian men in the video apologized publicly in a video saying “we don’t really know what the message means.” Now Disney says it is cutting ties to the Swedish 27-year-old after WSJ inquired about videos he posted in which he includes anti-Semitic jokes or Nazi imagery. Warning: Graphic language and content.

So it looks like they "asked" about the videos, and then reported on it after Disney acted.

It's like they created the controversy and then reported on it. They created the news. I don't think news agencies are supposed to do that. Isn't that kinda like a firefighter causing arson?

But still, ultimately Disney made the decision.

I can't believe they were paying this guy $14M. what the heck? For a youtube channel? Is this for real? This world has gone nuts.

Comment

I can't read the article because it is subscription, but this is the original story from WSJ as far as I can tell:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/disney-...sts-1487034533

and it says in the readable part:

Disney Severs Ties With YouTube Star PewDiePie After Anti-Semitic Posts
                    Move came after the Journal asked about videos in which he included anti-Semitic jokes or Nazi imagery

Felix Kjellberg, who has 53 million subscribers to his “PewDiePie” YouTube channel, reacts as ​​​​two men hold up a sign saying “Death to All Jews,” in a screenshot of a video ​he ​posted online. Mr. Kjellberg paid them to hold up the sign. The video was published Jan. 11 and pulled from YouTube this past weekend. The Indian men in the video apologized publicly in a video saying “we don’t really know what the message means.” Now Disney says it is cutting ties to the Swedish 27-year-old after WSJ inquired about videos he posted in which he includes anti-Semitic jokes or Nazi imagery. Warning: Graphic language and content.

So it looks like they "asked" about the videos, and then reported on it after Disney acted.

It's like they created the controversy and then reported on it. They created the news. I don't think news agencies are supposed to do that. Isn't that kinda like a firefighter causing arson?

But still, ultimately Disney made the decision.

I can't believe they were paying this guy $14M. what the heck? For a youtube channel? Is this for real? This world has gone nuts.
                    Thats what I meant by pressure though. Disney knew what was going to go down and they decided to drop him.

The verge have an article too.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?site...jEmwkEKg_0:434

Comment

How has the world gone nuts? You get more people to watch you, you get more money. The guy gets 2 million views a day on average. Of course he's going to get paid a lot if he can manage that.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                        How has the world gone nuts? You get more people to watch you, you get more money. The guy gets 2 million views a day on average. Of course he's going to get paid a lot if he can manage that.
                        I'm down with people making millions doing silly or even stupid things. It's the millions of views he has and the fact that because of irresponsible clicking, one of them is mine.
                        Save me, save me"

Comment

I'm down with people making millions doing silly or even stupid things. It's the millions of views he has and the fact that because of irresponsible clicking, one of them is mine.
                          He does have over 53 million subscribers. I'm guessing they provide the majority of his clicks. So don't feel bad about it.

Comment

He does have over 53 million subscribers. I'm guessing they provide the majority of his clicks. So don't feel bad about it.
                            I am going to need to get you all to start paying me $1 every time you read one of my posts. It is well worth it!

Comment

Seriously. I'm trying to think if I could get 53 milllion subscribers by having a Channel about a fat nerd who wants to play board games.
                              Save me, save me"

Comment

Seriously. I'm trying to think if I could get 53 milllion subscribers by having a Channel about a fat nerd who wants to play board games.
                                That pretty much describes 50% of youtube right now. Except they record themselves playing video games. Board games might be just the twist needed to stand out. Good luck.

Comment