Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Dozens fired after "Day with no Immigrants" protest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's the thing: despite no legal requirement, most US businesses offer vacation and holiday time, generally several weeks a year. One week a year of vacation time is common for new employees with that number increasing the longer the employee is at the company (it's not unusual for long-time employees to have as much as six-weeks of vacation). That's in addition to paid sick time and personal leave. So it's a bit disingenuous to cite legal requirements and then act like American workers get no paid leave.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      Here's the thing: despite no legal requirement, most US businesses offer vacation and holiday time, generally several weeks a year. One week a year of vacation time is common for new employees with that number increasing the longer the employee is at the company (it's not unusual for long-time employees to have as much as six-weeks of vacation). That's in addition to paid sick time and personal leave. So it's a bit disingenuous to cite legal requirements and then act like American workers get no paid leave.
      And even jobs that do require people to work holidays, generally give them alternate days off to replace them.

Vacation days and Paid Health Care are two of the most popular benefits that companies use to attract workers. Even fast food companies will use them to entice people to work for them. The free market works.

And back to the topic, while legally most states allow companies to fire employees at will, in practice it doesn't work out that way. Unless a company wants to get sued, they generally have to have a good reason to fire someone. Most workers sign a minimal contract when they get hired (sometimes it is just part of the application) - where they agree to abide by the company's rules. There is usually an employee handbook that spells out the rules. When someone is fired, it generally needs to be a violation of those rules. My last job's handbook was over 300 pages. Spelled out rules, holidays, benefits, dress and grooming standards, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...grants-n722991

What did they expect would happen if they didn't go to work because of a political agenda?

I wonder what will happen with the "Day without Women?"

I think anyone that protests political nonsense by staging a walkout at a place of business, doesn't deserve the job. The only people they are hurting are the people they work for. So if they dislike their employers that much, then they deserve to be fired.
        I can't wait for a day without Christians.
        Blog: Atheism and the City

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by The Thinker View Post
          You'll have lots after you meet your maker.
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Impotent Man View Post
            no employer should have to put up with a worker who decides to blow-off work for a day and leave the business shorthanded.
            Leaving businesses shorthanded is exactly what's going to happen to many businesses if all the illegal immigrants are round up and deported.

Irony.

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
              You'll have lots after you meet your maker.
              I've already met my parents.

Comment

I've already met my parents.
                Patience, smug one...
                That's what
                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Me either, because when we are taken out of the world, the end times are nigh.

Comment

Leaving businesses shorthanded is exactly what's going to happen to many businesses if all the illegal immigrants are round up and deported.

Irony.
                    More job openings for unemployed americans. And companies will have to pay an actual wage instead of slave wages. win/win.

Comment

Originally posted by The Stinker View Post
                      Originally posted by Mountain Man
                      no employer should have to put up with a worker who decides to blow-off work for a day and leave the business shorthanded.

Irony.
                      How is that ironic? There are plenty of legal citizens who will happily fill those vacancies.

I'm guessing you don't know the definition of "irony".

Comment

Originally posted by Impotent Man View Post
                        How is that ironic? There are plenty of legal citizens who will happily fill those vacancies.

I'm guessing you don't know the definition of "irony".
                        Actually there isn't. Some can be done by legal immigrants but not all, unless you want to rapidly import another 5-10 million legal immigrants to do those jobs.

And it's ironic because your claim that it's bad to leave businesses shorthanded is exactly what will happen if mass deportations happen to many businesses that rely on illegal immigrant labor.

Comment

Originally posted by The Stinker View Post
                          Actually there isn't. Some can be done by legal immigrants but not all, unless you want to rapidly import another 5-10 million legal immigrants to do those jobs.

And it's ironic because your claim that it's bad to leave businesses shorthanded is exactly what will happen if mass deportations happen to many businesses that rely on illegal immigrant labor.
                          Businesses shouldn't rely on illegal immigrant labor any more than they should rely on the mob to put pressure on their competition.

The real irony here is that you call yourself "The Thinker" while saying some of the dumbest stuff on the forum.

Comment

well, gorsh! then maybe those companies shouldn't rely on illegal immigrants and should hire actual Americans and pay them a decent wage, instead of expecting to line their pockets with the sweat of slave labor. Because that is what it is, they treat illegals like slaves, paying them squat because they know they have to take what they can get. The companies pocket the profits. I thought you liberals were all about wanting to make the corporations pay a fair wage and not screw over the workers? So this would be a good thing. It would force these companies to do right and pay a fair wage. If they went out of business, then that is great too, right? getting rid of an evil corporation that enslaves illegals?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              And even jobs that do require people to work holidays, generally give them alternate days off to replace them.

Vacation days and Paid Health Care are two of the most popular benefits that companies use to attract workers. Even fast food companies will use them to entice people to work for them. The free market works.

And back to the topic, while legally most states allow companies to fire employees at will, in practice it doesn't work out that way. Unless a company wants to get sued, they generally have to have a good reason to fire someone. Most workers sign a minimal contract when they get hired (sometimes it is just part of the application) - where they agree to abide by the company's rules. There is usually an employee handbook that spells out the rules. When someone is fired, it generally needs to be a violation of those rules. My last job's handbook was over 300 pages. Spelled out rules, holidays, benefits, dress and grooming standards, etc.
                              Not only that most companies don't want to have to fire someone who they've spent time and money training to do a job. It is a horrendous waste of resources. That's why they usually give things like oral warnings, written warnings and such (usually in an escalating manner) unless the employee has done something to warrant immediate termination.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

In other news, the Starbucks brand crashed after they said they planned to hire 10,000 "refugees".

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...slim-refugees/

Comment