Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Dozens fired after "Day with no Immigrants" protest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    We had a former member here who went by the name La Rubia. Her husband worked at a factory in... Kentucky (if I recall correctly), and ICE raided the factory and found 20 illegal aliens working there, and ALL using HIS Social Security Number.
    That's crazy! Obviously, they didn't want to catch that at the factory. They had to send in the SS payments to the government weekly. There's no way they didn't notice 20 people paying in to the same SS account...
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

• Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
      The fake SS# users weren't filing tax returns. The people coming in were being audited because the IRS thought they were not reporting the income. Of course, since they never really worked there in the first place they didn't know they need to report it. The W2 went to the illegals address though...We had to give them a form that said that basically they hadn't worked there, that we had been fooled by a fake ID and SS#.
      ok. Well that validates what I said earlier: illegals are probably NOT paying taxes (one of Thinker's arguments for letting them stay)

Comment

• Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
        That's crazy! Obviously, they didn't want to catch that at the factory. They had to send in the SS payments to the government weekly. There's no way they didn't notice 20 people paying in to the same SS account...
        I think Roobz said they were getting paid under the table when it all came out.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• I heard that Fritos had to deport the Bandito back to Mexico and that is why he is no longer on TV.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            Thing is under obama just turning away illegals at the border before they sneak across counted as "deporting" and obama allowed those who did get across to stay (sanctuary)
            I know, and that still defeats your refuted claim that he just "let them in." Removals under Obama increased:

bipartisanimmigration.jpg

Also illegals can't pay taxes because you need a social security number to file taxes and I think you need to be a citizen or legal immigrant to get a SS#
            You don't. You just need an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) which you can get even without a SSN.
            Blog: Atheism and the City

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Thinker View Post
              I know, and that still defeats your refuted claim that he just "let them in." Removals under Obama increased:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21148[/ATTACH]

You don't. You just need an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) which you can get even without a SSN.
              Do you have any information on how that compares to the influx of illegals?
              It doesn't mean much to me if he doubles the exporting of illegals if the import went up by 1000%.
              Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

• Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
                Do you have any information on how that compares to the influx of illegals?
                It doesn't mean much to me if he doubles the exporting of illegals if the import went up by 1000%.
                Well, technically illegal border crossings decreased when Obama took office mostly due to the recession: there just weren't as many jobs in the US to draw people from Mexico, especially since the housing market crashed, which killed housing construction, where many illegals worked in.

But far too many conservatives have this image of Obama greeting illegal immigrants at the border with a smile and handing them green cards and welfare checks.

That's nonsense and the facts don't back that up. Obama was called the "deporter in chief" for a reason. He stepped up immigration enforcement from Bush, who was very lax on illegal immigration. So this false narrative that Obama just let 'em all in and did nothing to prevent or deport illegal immigrants is just baloney.

But if you hate Obama and need a reason to hate him even more, you will buy the fake news that he was practically greeting illegal immigrants at the border with a smile and handing them green cards and welfare checks.

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21148[/ATTACH]
                  your graph doesn't show what you think it does. And if it did, you would be arguing that Obama was more aggressive against illegals than republicans, while at the same time arguing against Trump wanting to do even better.

Even then it is for LEGAL aliens, and you have to prove you are legal before getting one.

"You must also include original documentation or certified copies from the issuing agency to prove identity and foreign status. If you qualify for an exception, then file Form W-7 with your proof of identity and foreign status documents."
                  From the IRS site.

So illegal aliens are not paying taxes.

Comment

your graph doesn't show what you think it does. And if it did, you would be arguing that Obama was more aggressive against illegals than republicans, while at the same time arguing against Trump wanting to do even better.
                    The graph makes my point quite nicely, that Obama didn't just wave the illegals into the country and do nothing. He did more enforcement than Bush and all previous presidents, regardless of their party. I'm saying nothing about Trump doing more.

Even then it is for LEGAL aliens, and you have to prove you are legal before getting one.
                    Nope:

The Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) is a tax processing number issued by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to ensure that people – including unauthorized immigrants – pay taxes even if they do not have a Social Security number and regardless of their immigration status.
                    https://www.americanimmigrationcounc...on-number-itin

The ITIN is for legal and illegal immigrants: literally anyone without a SSN.

"You must also include original documentation or certified copies from the issuing agency to prove identity and foreign status. If you qualify for an exception, then file Form W-7 with your proof of identity and foreign status documents."
                    From the IRS site.

So illegal aliens are not paying taxes.
                    You don't have to prove legal status in the US. Proving foreign status is not proving legal US status.

Comment

The graph makes my point quite nicely, that Obama didn't just wave the illegals into the country and do nothing. He did more enforcement than Bush and all previous presidents, regardless of their party. I'm saying nothing about Trump doing more.
                      Take away the ones turned from the border before crossing and his numbers are less. They used to NOT count people turned back before crossing. Now they do.

Nope:

https://www.americanimmigrationcounc...on-number-itin

The ITIN is for legal and illegal immigrants: literally anyone without a SSN.

You don't have to prove legal status in the US. Proving foreign status is not proving legal US status.
                      You still have to provide documentation:

"In order to successfully file Form W-7, each applicant must provide sufficient documentation verifying both their identity and their foreign status. There are multiple ways to prove these two elements, but the most commonly used and highly recommended document is the applicant’s foreign passport. A passport is the only instrument that provides all of the necessary information on its own, without the help of supplemental materials." http://immigration-issues.yoexpert.c...dua-33209.html

Which means that the government now knows you are illegal. How many illegal aliens do you think are going to reveal themselves to the IRS? Even if currently the IRS won't reveal that to ICE, there is no way of knowing so any smart illegal alien will not do it.

Comment

But far too many conservatives have this image of Obama greeting illegal immigrants at the border with a smile and handing them green cards and welfare checks.
                        I think people got that impression from reports that Obama told border patrol agents to stand down or 'catch and release'. Admittedly, if I were told that robbing a bank would result in a brief detainment before being released that would be 'giving away the store' in my estimation.

Note: I don't know the extent/impact of the stand down orders - I've not researched it.
                        Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Actually those numbers have been heavily padded by including people turned away at the border, something that wasn't previously done before by other Administrations. Here the Los Angeles Times let's the cat out of the bag when they were worried that the numbers were making Obama look back in the Hispanic community:

Source: High deportation figures are misleading

Immigration activists have sharply criticized President Obama for a rising volume of deportations, labeling him the "deporter in chief" and staging large protests that have harmed his standing with some Latinos, a key group of voters for Democrats.

But the portrait of a steadily increasing number of deportations rests on statistics that conceal almost as much as they disclose. A closer examination shows that immigrants living illegally in most of the continental U.S. are less likely to be deported today than before Obama came to office, according to immigration data.

Expulsions of people who are settled and working in the United States have fallen steadily since his first year in office, and are down more than 40% since 2009.

On the other side of the ledger, the number of people deported at or near the border has gone up — primarily as a result of changing who gets counted in the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency's deportation statistics.

The vast majority of those border crossers would not have been treated as formal deportations under most previous administrations. If all removals were tallied, the total sent back to Mexico each year would have been far higher under those previous administrations than it is now.

The shift in who gets tallied helped the administration look tough in its early years but now may be backfiring politically. Immigration advocates plan protests across the country this week around what they say will be the 2 millionth deportation under Obama — a mark expected to be hit in the next few days. And Democratic strategists fret about a decline in Latino voter turnout for this fall's election.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

When the MSM and fake fact checkers want to make it look like Obama hasn't been a friend of illegal immigrants they declare that Obama has deported more illegals than any other Administration leaving out how this has been nothing but an accounting trick and the opposite is in fact true (see for instance Snopes), but if they're worried it might be adversely affecting his image then they tell the truth.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Hey I am willing to let the liberals claim Obama deported more illegals than anyone. Given that they have no problem with that and even brag about it, they have no stake in reaming out Trump for wanting to deport illegals also.

Comment

That's nonsense and the facts don't back that up. Obama was called the "deporter in chief" for a reason. He stepped up immigration enforcement from Bush, who was very lax on illegal immigration. So this false narrative that Obama just let 'em all in and did nothing to prevent or deport illegal immigrants is just baloney.
                              Did you not read my post where I pointed out how the "deporter in chief" figures are extremely misleading? Here it is again:
                              Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                              Snopes is being highly misleading with the claim that Obama deported "more than any other president" (which is rather problematic considering they're supposed to be, you know, a place to find out if a claim is true or not). It is true that the number of reported deportations is dramatically increased. But what the linked article conveniently leaves out is that the reporting itself has changed. Before, many illegals who were caught near the border were simply deported without any registration of the numbers. Nowadays they are. If the reporting changes so a lot more deportations get reported, an increase in the number of reported deportations does not mean Obama actually deported more than previous presidents.

You can find more information on this here and here. Of course, someone may think the LA Times and Washington Post are too liberally biased. In that case, you can see a conservative source point out the same thing.

The number of deportations have not increased under Obama, the difference is that the reporting of deportations has changed.

Comment

Take away the ones turned from the border before crossing and his numbers are less.
                                Even if that's true it could only be because illegal immigration went down after the recession, not because Obama stopped enforcing immigration law, as many conservatives actually think.

They used to NOT count people turned back before crossing. Now they do.
                                There are 3 basic categories here:

1. Removal: official judicial or administrative orders to leave the country are called "removals," and they can happen right at the border or anywhere else on American soil. This is what most people think of as a deportation.
                                2. Return: people caught illegally crossing the border and simply turned around.

As Politifact wrote, "Whereas many immigrants previously caught at the border simply were bused back to Mexico, they now are returned with official deportation orders, prosecuted, or moved to different parts of the border so they cannot reconnect with their smuggler, Martin said."

In other words, returns are now being processed as removals. Instead of just returning people at the border, under Obama illegal crossers are now being detained, processed, given official deportation orders and prosecuted, and then returned. The percentage of removals at the border has been increasing, as the chart showed. So it isn't merely redefining something, it's a change in process.

You still have to provide documentation:

"In order to successfully file Form W-7, each applicant must provide sufficient documentation verifying both their identity and their foreign status. There are multiple ways to prove these two elements, but the most commonly used and highly recommended document is the applicant’s foreign passport. A passport is the only instrument that provides all of the necessary information on its own, without the help of supplemental materials." http://immigration-issues.yoexpert.c...dua-33209.html

Which means that the government now knows you are illegal. How many illegal aliens do you think are going to reveal themselves to the IRS? Even if currently the IRS won't reveal that to ICE, there is no way of knowing so any smart illegal alien will not do it.
                                Providing documentation is not the same as providing legal US status. Every alien potentially has a foreign passport. Many illegals didn't do this. Granted. But many did. And it is possible to do this while being here illegally as no requirement to prove legal US status is asked for.

Comment