Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Old Spices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Spices

My mom cooked and baked. There are tons of spices in the cabinet that have been there since she died in 2010. A lot have been opened and there are some extracts as well. I hate to throw them away but I figure if they're that old they can't be good...?
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
    My mom cooked and baked. There are tons of spices in the cabinet that have been there since she died in 2010. A lot have been opened and there are some extracts as well. I hate to throw them away but I figure if they're that old they can't be good...?
    Spices generally do have a shelf life. Especially if they've been open. I don't know if they could make you sick but rather they've lost their taste and aroma.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Throw them out they can make you sick.
      sigpic

Comment

Since this is about Old Spice

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Some of them are like whole hazelnuts. But yeah, I really am leaning towards just dumping them. It's just... they're my mom's stuff...

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
            Some of them are like whole hazelnuts. But yeah, I really am leaning towards just dumping them. It's just... they're my mom's stuff...

The nuts might be rancid unless they've been in the freezer. Spices likely won't hurt you if they're old, but their flavour will be greatly reduced. Give them a taste. Extracts, I've had some for more than 10 years and they don't seem to go bad.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

The smell test will decide.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                The nuts might be rancid unless they've been in the freezer. Spices likely won't hurt you if they're old, but their flavour will be greatly reduced. Give them a taste. Extracts, I've had some for more than 10 years and they don't seem to go bad.

I had some vanilla extract well over a decade old that was in a bottle and smelled just as strong as ever but I didn't take a chance and simply got some more.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  I had some vanilla extract well over a decade old that was in a bottle and smelled just as strong as ever but I didn't take a chance and simply got some more.
                  Don't extracts tend to have a high alcohol content? That would tend to preserve them, yes?
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I have powdered spices where some are probably over 10 years old. As long as they smell and taste OK (sprinkle some on your hand and smell and taste them) they are fine. Like others have said, usually the only thing that goes wrong is that they can lose their scent and flavor.

Comment

Yes DB, taste them. And if we hear back from you we will know they were good.

Comment

Or give them to Mikey. He'll try anything.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          Don't extracts tend to have a high alcohol content? That would tend to preserve them, yes?

Comment

Or give them to Mikey. He'll try anything.
                            If Rogue will share the alcohol based products

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                              If Rogue will share the alcohol based products

I wasn't really referring to you, but if the shoe fits......

Comment