Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

And The Safe Space For Snowflake Award Goes To...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Leonhard, it's not so much that the site is satire, but that it leans so heavily towards what many liberals would dearly love to be true.
    So you admit it's a satire site, or...? I don't under the 'but' part. They'd love that Hillary won... and?

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
      Okay, seriously. How many conservatives here bought hook line and sinker that this was a refuge for liberals and not a satire site? Good grief, you guy's can't be that dumb. I refuse to believe it.
      Some of it seemed to be clearly satire. Other stuff seemed like some kind of bizarre escapism. Personally I don't think it was ever intended to be serious.

Comment

So you admit it's a satire site, or...?
        I tacitly admitted that.
        I don't under the 'but' part. They'd love that Hillary won... and?
        It's full on escapism, Leonhard - just like the "safe places".
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I tacitly admitted that. ... It's full on escapism, Leonhard - just like the "safe places".
          Admitted and then denied? What on earth happened to you guys? I didn't remember you being this crazy during the Bush years.

Comment

Admitted and then denied? What on earth happened to you guys? I didn't remember you being this crazy during the Bush years.
            satire is used to mock something. this site coddles the liberals by fantasizing what they wish were true.

Comment

Why on earth are you calling me crazy, Leonhard? Calling the other side crazy is not exactly an invitation to open dialogue. I have no idea why you don't think that escapist satire can be a thing.

For example, take the "Anthony Weiner switches to a rotary phone" article. On some level, it's poking fun at Anthony Weiner. On another level, if he'd been using a rotary phone all these years, he wouldn't have been sending pictures of his private parts to various women, thus not causing a scandalous fall from power, thus not being investigated, thus not negatively impacting Hillary's election bid.
              Last edited by One Bad Pig; 02-25-2017, 10:50 AM.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Well when Michael Moore tries to get into Trump Tower after the election to convince Donald Trump to give the presidency to Hillary then that kind of gives it away. He honestly thought that he could just get Trump to do that and that isn't even taking into account that he thought he could just walk into Trump Tower and demand a meeting with him.

Then of course there was the whole "loophole" thing where they thought they could make Bernie Sanders president.

I've not looked at the site admittedly but I don't really need to because I've seen everywhere else that there are people in denial.
                “I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.” - C.S. Lewis

Comment

Why on earth are you calling me crazy, Leonhard? Calling the other side crazy is not exactly an invitation to open dialogue.
                  You guys call liberals worse every day. If you guys toned your language way down and only discussed liberals in respectful terms, I'd feel obligated to reciprocate. As it is I think I'm being about an order of magnitude nicer to ya'll than you're being to me. I've been called everything from demonic, to stupid, to crazy these last two months.

And I've never been that before.

And I call it crazy. Because believing that this satire website is an escapist fantasy place, because poor liberals "can't take reality", is crazy. It's up there with believing in the pizzagate sexring conspiracy. There's simply no grounding in reality. It's another symptom of the enormous conservative Edited by a Moderator this forum has become ever since Trump won.

How do you expect me to have an open dialogue about that? It's satire. Freaking satire!

For example, take the "Anthony Weiner switches to a rotary phone" article. On some level, it's poking fun at Anthony Weiner. On another level, if he'd been using a rotary phone all these years, he wouldn't have been sending pictures of his private parts to various women, thus not causing a scandalous fall from power, thus not being investigated, thus not negatively impacting Hillary's election bid.
                  The website is so ridiculously over the top, that I don't see how on earth anyone can see it as a refuge. If it's escapism, then it's escapism in the same sense that any form of entertainment is escapism. The way I consider say... Adventure Time, or Stardew Valley, or the Rokoko Post, or NixCraft, or all sorts of other things I read to be light escapism from the drudgery and pain of life. What Tolkien always hoped his own works would always be, an escape for someone.

But actually taking escape in satire, obvious satire like that. I don't see how you expect anyone to do that. I could see it if the news were written in sensible matter *as if* Hillary had won, mirroring our world as a fantasy universe with Hillary being there and not being the oaf that Trump is. This isn't that website. There is no more suspension of disbelief there, than you have at a Monty Python Flying Circus episode. There is no reason to suspend disbelief, when it gets crazy enough, it's the insanity which is the fun.

At the end of the day I can't argue against your low view of liberals rationally, because I'd be arguing with your gut. I can only counter that by saying that I find it crazy.

Sparko you're crazy too.

Moderated By: QuantaFille

Watch your language please.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                  Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by QuantaFille; 02-25-2017, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Ovious View Post
                    Well when Michael Moore
                    Grumble, can't stand that guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Ovious
                      Then of course there was the whole "loophole" thing where they thought they could make Bernie Sanders president.
                      The Birther Movement - A popular conspiracy. Popular here as well. I remember a lot of you guys were sure that, even if it wasn't true there was something about it. Lots of hope that Obama would turn out to be a muslim born in Kenya, and therefore inelligible for presidency.

Years, and years into his legitimate presidency.

If that wasn't denialism I don't know what is.

Comment

Okay, seriously. How many conservatives here bought hook line and sinker that this was a refuge for liberals and not a satire site? Good grief, you guy's can't be that dumb. I refuse to believe it.
                        It's a mixture of both probably depending on who wrote which article.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

You guys call liberals worse every day. If you guys toned your language way down and only discussed liberals in respectful terms, I'd feel obligated to reciprocate. As it is I think I'm being about an order of magnitude nicer to ya'll than you're being to me. I've been called everything from demonic, to stupid, to crazy these last two months.

And I've never been that before.

And I call it crazy. Because believing that this satire website is an escapist fantasy place, because poor liberals "can't take reality", is crazy. It's up there with believing in the pizzagate sexring conspiracy. There's simply no grounding in reality. It's another symptom of the enormous conservative Edited by a Moderator this forum has become ever since Trump won.

How do you expect me to have an open dialogue about that? It's satire. Freaking satire!

The website is so ridiculously over the top, that I don't see how on earth anyone can see it as a refuge. If it's escapism, then it's escapism in the same sense that any form of entertainment is escapism. The way I consider say... Adventure Time, or Stardew Valley, or the Rokoko Post, or NixCraft, or all sorts of other things I read to be light escapism from the drudgery and pain of life. What Tolkien always hoped his own works would always be, an escape for someone.

But actually taking escape in satire, obvious satire like that. I don't see how you expect anyone to do that. I could see it if the news were written in sensible matter *as if* Hillary had won, mirroring our world as a fantasy universe with Hillary being there and not being the oaf that Trump is. This isn't that website. There is no more suspension of disbelief there, than you have at a Monty Python Flying Circus episode. There is no reason to suspend disbelief, when it gets crazy enough, it's the insanity which is the fun.

At the end of the day I can't argue against your low view of liberals rationally, because I'd be arguing with your gut. I can only counter that by saying that I find it crazy.

Sparko you're crazy too.
                          I'm pretty sure I've never called you any such things, Leonhard. If I have, I apologize, because I respect you more than that. The irony here is that you're the one totally going with your gut on this one. I'll just chalk this up to your emotions getting the better of you at the moment; you're usually more even-keeled than this.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            Thinker, looks like you were making your monthly trolling trip, doing a bunch of hit-and-runs across the board. I hope you got it out of your system. see ya next month. ttfn.
                            Actually I want to engage in serious debate here, like I sometimes do with seer. But it seems almost everyone on this site would rather just sling feces and reiterate the conservative echo chamber. Is that what this forum is really all about?
                            Blog: Atheism and the City

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by The Thinker View Post
                              Actually I want to engage in serious debate here, like I sometimes do with seer. But it seems almost everyone on this site would rather just sling feces and reiterate the conservative echo chamber. Is that what this forum is really all about?
                              Well reading your last run of posts, you just seemed to hit and run several threads in a row with nothing but sniping comments. Probably are not going to get many takers on engaging you in serious debate when you act like you are not interested in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                Well reading your last run of posts, you just seemed to hit and run several threads in a row with nothing but sniping comments. Probably are not going to get many takers on engaging you in serious debate when you act like you are not interested in it.
                                Fair enough. But no one was interested from the start. And every time I even try I get insults flung at me.
                                Blog: Atheism and the City

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment