Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Narcissism Rises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Narcissism Rises

This certainly is not a good trend. My generation was more narcissistic than my parents, and Millennials are more narcissistic still. This is not a good thing, and seems to be getting worse. I wonder why.

Narcissism rises

Different research methods have found that individualism is on the rise in American culture, with younger generations reporting less empathy and more self-focus than generations before. Although this narcissism is often pinned on millennials alone in the popular press, research going back to the early 1900s suggests that these forces have been in play for at least a century.

“There is a very consistent and reliable trend where all indicators of individualism [have] been on the rise over the course of the last 100 years,” University of Waterloo psychologist Igor Grossman, who was not involved in Grubbs’ work, told an audience at the SPSP meeting. The youngest generation is more self-centered than those before it, Grossman said, but the same could have been said of the youth of the 1950s versus the youth of the 1930s, and so on.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...healthy-living
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Originally posted by seer View Post
    This certainly is not a good trend. My generation was more narcissistic than my parents, and Millennials are more narcissistic still. This is not a good thing, and seems to be getting worse. I wonder why.

Dang, I was hoping this was another post about me.
    Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
      I wonder if it has to do with the decline of Church attendance.

http://religionnews.com/2014/01/27/g...tes-one-graph/
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

I wonder if it has to do with the decline of Church attendance.

http://religionnews.com/2014/01/27/g...tes-one-graph/
        I'd be more inclined to peg it to social media.

Facebook allows you to publish a glamorized version of yourself.
        New technology allows a person to customize their news/music/media experience.
        Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

I'd be more inclined to peg it to social media.

Facebook allows you to publish a glamorized version of yourself.
          New technology allows a person to customize their news/music/media experience.
          I blame selfie sticks.

Comment

Individualism is not necessarily bad. The thing to keep in mind is that others' welfare is important too. Love your fellow man.

Jesus taught us that 2000 years ago and it is still valid today, and forever.

Comment

Is this really narcissism, or is it just good old fashioned selfishness?
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                I blame selfie sticks.
                president-obama-in-a-new-parody-selfie-video.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]21036[/ATTACH]
                  case in point. Obama is the quintessential narcissist.

Comment

I think the whole "everybody deserves respect" trend[1] a few years ago exacerbated things and being given participation trophies continued the movement.

1. No they don't. You earn respect. It is not something owed you just for existing. What you deserve is being treated courteously unless you do something to screw that up.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      I think the whole "everybody deserves respect" trend[1] a few years ago exacerbated things and being given participation trophies continued the movement.

1. No they don't. You earn respect. It is not something owed you just for existing. What you deserve is being treated courteously unless you do something to screw that up.
                      Agreed...

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        case in point. Obama is the quintessential narcissist.
                        Every time he talked, no matter what the subject, it quickly devolved into him talking about me, me, me and I, I, I. In just one speech in 2014, where he vowed to use executive orders to bypass Congress if they didn't submit to his agenda or move as fast as he wanted, he used the words "I," "me," and "my" a total of 199 times averaging a usage rate of once every 12 seconds.

This is a man who wrote two autobiographies before he was 45 and had accomplished next to nothing in his life except to vote present over a 130 times.

Even at the start of his Administration when he went to Europe to help Chicago make a pitch for hosting the Olympics he told the Olympic committee how they would make him happy if they picked Chicago as if he thought everybody existed just to please him (Chicago was the first city eliminated from the competition).

And who can possibly forget his speech back in June of 2008 after his victories in the primaries when he clenched the nomination for the Democrats and he intoned how "that generations from now, we will be able to look back and tell our children that this was the moment when ... the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal."

The thing is I don't think Trump is much better.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

will be flattered that you're copying his shtick. Any way, all threads are really about bacon

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            Every time he talked, no matter what the subject, it quickly devolved into him talking about me, me, me and I, I, I. In just one speech in 2014, where he vowed to use executive orders to bypass Congress if they didn't submit to his agenda or move as fast as he wanted, he used the words "I," "me," and "my" a total of 199 times averaging a usage rate of once every 12 seconds.

This is a man who wrote two autobiographies before he was 45 and had accomplished next to nothing in his life except to vote present over a 130 times.

Even at the start of his Administration when he went to Europe to help Chicago make a pitch for hosting the Olympics he told the Olympic committee how they would make him happy if they picked Chicago as if he thought everybody existed just to please him (Chicago was the first city eliminated from the competition).

And who can possibly forget his speech back in June of 2008 after his victories in the primaries when he clenched the nomination for the Democrats and he intoned how "that generations from now, we will be able to look back and tell our children that this was the moment when ... the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal."

The thing is I don't think Trump is much better.
                            My favorite were his campaign speeches for Hillary, where he talked about himself more than he talked about Hillary. I mean, look at these headlines:

Obama talks about himself 207 times in 84 minutes — while campaigning for Hillary*
                            Obama talks about himself 137 times during speech for Hillary
                            Obama Talks About Himself Nearly 120 Times During Speech about Hillary

It's almost like he forgot who was running for president.

* That averages out to one reference to himself every 30-seconds!
                            Last edited by Mountain Man; 02-22-2017, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              My favorite were his campaign speeches for Hillary, where he talked about himself more than he talked about Hillary. I mean, look at these headlines:

Obama talks about himself 207 times in 84 minutes — while campaigning for Hillary*
                              Obama talks about himself 137 times during speech for Hillary
                              Obama Talks About Himself Nearly 120 Times During Speech about Hillary

It's almost like he forgot who was running for president.

* That averages out to one reference to himself every 30-seconds!
                              I'm sorry but it doesn't beat the time he gave the Queen an IPod with his speeches on it. The freaking Queen
                              “I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.” - C.S. Lewis

Comment