Announcement

Collapse

Psychology 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Tweb's couch. Please join us in discussing the joys of the human psyche. Watch in wonderment as the Tweb crowd has violent mood swings. help us understand what makes us tick.

Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.
See more
See less

Certain things I don't get...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Certain things I don't get...

I feel like this thread is gonna flop but I just have so many questions and I need to see if I'm the only one pondering this or if anybody may have an answer for me. If this thread in the wrong place then feel free to move it

One of the things I don't get is that a persons hate, disgust, or fear can be so strong towards another person that they'll blindly believe anything negative towards that person and not even think it over or bother to even look into it. I've really never got this mentality. Maybe because it's hard for me to hate people. I'm special I guess.

But even when I do dislike a person immensely I don't listen to every Tom, Dick, and Harry out there that says a bunch of nonsense and take it at face value. To be fair I have been misinformed every now and again and didn't get contexts of an opposition's claims but I at least take some ownership in being wrong when it comes to light. Nowadays people can just pull nonsense out of thin air and not give it a second thought weather or not it's true as long as it gives them a reason to fuel their hatred.

I feel so alone when it comes to this. I've even gotten people angry with me cause I've pointed out that it was either misinformation or just a flat out lie then they take it like it's the ultimate betrayal. I've gotten to the point where I don't even bother to correct people and let them believe what they want cause its just so frustrating to me.

People have their reasons to hate and dislike people and certain things but why rely on lies instead of facts? Wouldn't you have more support?

These are just one of the many things I don't get. If you don't get it either then I don't fault you lol

I don't get it either. I've seen the same kind of thing, and I've found there isn't anything I can do about it.

Comment

Agree. I try not to fall into that trap. I don't always succeed. I have to keep reminding myself that nobody is all good or all bad, and to try to keep an open mind.
      Last edited by Sparko; 02-22-2017, 08:57 AM.

Comment

It drives me nuts. You see it a LOT in politics, which is why I usually stay away from it. I've seen this sort of brain lock with other things besides people though. I've seen it quite a bit with certain urban legends, pseudoscience, and even favorite media formats. For example, Facebook seems to be the focal point of so many recent urban legends. I've had people get angry at me for politely and patiently point out that, for instance, Red Bull does not actually contain bull semen. They wanted to believe this shocking, and frankly ridiculous legend, but debunking it is seen as you ruining their...fun?...I guess? for being a wet blanket...or something. I mean, I suppose this is tangential to your point, but I think it's all related to this same sort of bulldog brain lockjaw. There is something deeply psychologically troubling about it, and it seems extremely common. I like to think that I'm immune to it. That I have a healthy dose of skepticism that keeps me inoculated, but for all I know I'm just as susceptible as anyone else.

Comment

People make decisions based on emotion and then find a way to rationalize it.
          Once you realize that the emotional response to facts is no longer surprising.
          Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Reply:

Originally posted by Rivonu View Post
            I feel like this thread is gonna flop but I just have so many questions and I need to see if I'm the only one pondering this or if anybody may have an answer for me. If this thread in the wrong place then feel free to move it

One of the things I don't get is that a persons hate, disgust, or fear can be so strong towards another person that they'll blindly believe anything negative towards that person and not even think it over or bother to even look into it. I've really never got this mentality. Maybe because it's hard for me to hate people. I'm special I guess.

But even when I do dislike a person immensely I don't listen to every Tom, Dick, and Harry out there that says a bunch of nonsense and take it at face value. To be fair I have been misinformed every now and again and didn't get contexts of an opposition's claims but I at least take some ownership in being wrong when it comes to light. Nowadays people can just pull nonsense out of thin air and not give it a second thought weather or not it's true as long as it gives them a reason to fuel their hatred.

I feel so alone when it comes to this. I've even gotten people angry with me cause I've pointed out that it was either misinformation or just a flat out lie then they take it like it's the ultimate betrayal. I've gotten to the point where I don't even bother to correct people and let them believe what they want cause its just so frustrating to me.

People have their reasons to hate and dislike people and certain things but why rely on lies instead of facts? Wouldn't you have more support?

These are just one of the many things I don't get. If you don't get it either then I don't fault you lol
            Here is my finding and it is a hard thing to digest.

When people have the negative feelings like hate and fear then yes it is almost always superficial and they do not evaluate their negative feelings for truth or accuracy or compassion, AND HERE IS THE TWIST, most people are the exact same way for their positive feelings of love and security and friendliness too, in that both the positive and the negative feelings and emotions are superficial and petty and very often completely baseless.

Why does a person love or hate? = both superficial and petty and very often completely baseless.
            Why does a person fear or feel safe? = both superficial and petty and very often completely baseless.

When you realize that it is not just the negative, then you will see the ugly truth much more clearly.

The healthy and wise way is that we must never trust our feelings, and we must choose our emotional responses based on wisdom and discretion.

Feelings come into a person, while emotions go outward from the person (energized (e-motions) motions).

To love or hate needs to be a decision and not a feeling, just as fear or trust must be a decision and not a feeling, and etc etc etc.

If people see us doing it correctly then slowly they MIGHT learn for their selves, and that is the only option we have for most people.

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
              People make decisions based on emotion and then find a way to rationalize it.
              Once you realize that the emotional response to facts is no longer surprising.
              I didn't even read what "it" said. It's garbage im sure.
              The last Christian left at tweb

Comment

Reply:

Originally posted by Trout View Post
                I didn't even read what "it" said. It's garbage im sure.
                Why do you attack the person or their comment like that? - it is very unfair of you.

I am new to this forum so maybe I do not know the invisible history or the invisible conflict, so it seems out of place to me.

If you did not read "it" or you do not know what "it" is or what "it" was, then how can you judge "it" as garbage?

I myself can easily see what that person meant by "it" as it seems very obvious, as their point is quite clear and their point is accurate too.

If you look for the worst (garbage) then you will always find it, and yet it bounces off of them and sticks to you.

Just saying.

Comment