Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

We live in a strange world: Devos and Sessions fight over Trans School Protections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
    Slavery might have lasted for a longer period of time, but it seems extraordinarily unlikely it would still be extent today.
    It persisted into the twentieth century as penal servitude in Southern States. Nonetheless the end of slavery was due to national Constitutional issues of basic human rights, as should be the rights protected of all minorities including transgender people.

The banner of states rights in the South was based on their claim to the right to keep the slavery system.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 02-24-2017, 07:50 AM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
      While I don't personally think there are any obviously right or wrong answers about how much power should be vested in the federal government vs the state governments, and think that the setup of the the whole thing is to some extent very arbitrary (and am somewhat glad I live in a country that is a single state and so doesn't have multi-level government like that)...

... I observe that in the US 'states rights' has traditionally been code for racism.
      How can you expect anyone to take you seriously when you make idiotic statements like that?

Not that anyone does take you seriously anymore. Mostly because of idiotic statements like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        How can you expect anyone to take you seriously when you make idiotic statements like that?

Not that anyone does take you seriously anymore. Mostly because of idiotic statements like that.
        In some fairness, given that some states rights advocates are highly critical of Lincoln and that the Confederate Stars and Bars are suddenly code for racism, I can see how he'd come to that conclusion - especially if he's getting his views from far left and/or satirical news shows here. It's not close to accurate, but I think he's dependent on what his sources are telling him and doesn't have the background information to know better.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

A common libertarian talking point seems to be that Lincoln was one of the worst presidents in US history (the top spot is usually reserved for FDR), based on his suspension of habeas corpus and stance on states rights.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            In some fairness, given that some states rights advocates are highly critical of Lincoln and that the Confederate Stars and Bars are suddenly code for racism, I can see how he'd come to that conclusion - especially if he's getting his views from far left and/or satirical news shows here. It's not close to accurate, but I think he's dependent on what his sources are telling him and doesn't have the background information to know better.
            one situation over 100 years ago and suddenly State's rights is all about Racism. And while racist, slavery wasn't about race, it was about business. They didn't say "we hate blacks and we want to keep them down!" - they just wanted to keep their cheap labor which happened to be black.

But The US has always been a balancing act. Allowing States to run themselves under the umbrella of the Federal Government. At times it swings too far in one direction or the other. Right now I think it is too far on the side of the Federal Government and needs to be more in the State's favor.

I bet if we were talking State's rights in regard to legalizing marijuana, Starlight wouldn't be trying to characterize it as "racist"

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              one situation over 100 years ago and suddenly State's rights is all about Racism. And while racist, slavery wasn't about race, it was about business. They didn't say "we hate blacks and we want to keep them down!" - they just wanted to keep their cheap labor which happened to be black.
              Yeah, white people just happened to come across people with a different skin color and label them subhuman. That's why when slavery was abolished white people didn't treat black people poorly any longer.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                A common libertarian talking point seems to be that Lincoln was one of the worst presidents in US history (the top spot is usually reserved for FDR), based on his suspension of habeas corpus and stance on states rights.
                I wouldn't say it's common among libertarians. While libertarians in general think Lincoln was really overrated (the whole habeas corpus thing was a big turnoff and there's debate on whether he should have let the southern states go), the kind of dislike of Lincoln you describe is in my experience more of a paleolibertarian or paleoconservative thing rather than something you'll find in the general libertarian population.

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
                  So. Yeah. I can't even understand this--Is she for trans protections? Is she seeing some angle other people aren't seeing? I presume that when the article says "fight" it means "vigorous, yet professional, discussion."...this is probably a surprise all the way around. Her opposition
                  Of course, if all on team of Trump are of one mind there will be accusations of domineering, also lack of diversity, no room of disagreement.
                  Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment