Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

USA immigration: Trump's actions follow Obama's law

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA immigration: Trump's actions follow Obama's law

Most of you have probably forgotten Obama's "Visa Waiver Program Improvement and Terrorist Travel Prevention Act of 2015", from which Trump derived his 7 nation restrictions for entry to the USA.

Have a read of Homeland Security's FAQ on Obama's travel bans...
    https://www.cbp.gov/travel/internati...ention-act-faq
    Last edited by elam; 02-22-2017, 09:55 PM.

You don't understand. What Obama did was totally different. For one thing, Obama was a Democrat. And, well, that's pretty much it, so it was totally different!
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      You don't understand. What Obama did was totally different. For one thing, Obama was a Democrat. And, well, that's pretty much it, so it was totally different!
      Pretty much, although Trump's Executive Order could have been better written.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        Pretty much, although Trump's Executive Order could have been better written.
        He hasn't had much experience in that yet. And the democrats won't give him his cabinet so they can help him. Not that they have much experience either. It will be a learning curve.

Comment

It specifically says it wasn't a travel ban.
          Originally posted by OP link (emphasis mine)
          What is the Visa Waiver Program Improvement and Terrorist Travel Prevention Act of 2015? Why is it necessary to once again expand the amount of ESTA information being collected from VWP travelers?

DHS remains concerned about the risks posed by the situation in Syria and Iraq, where instability has attracted thousands of foreign fighters, including many from VWP countries. Such individuals could travel to the United States for operational purposes on their own or at the behest of violent extremist groups.

The U.S. Congress shares this concern, and on December 18, 2015, the President signed into law the Consolidated Appropriations Act 2016, which includes the Visa Waiver Program Improvement and Terrorist Travel Prevention Act of 2015 (the Act). The Act, among other things, establishes new eligibility requirements for travel under the VWP. These new eligibility requirements do not bar travel to the United States. Instead, a traveler who does not meet the requirements must obtain a visa for travel to the United States, which generally includes an in-person interview at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

DHS has updated the ESTA application with additional questions to address the new eligibility requirements under the Act.
          Find my speling strange? I'm trying this out: Simplified Speling. Feel free to join me.

"Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure. It is for them alone to point out what we ought to do, as well as to determine what we shall do."-Jeremy Bentham

"We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question."-Orson Scott Card

Comment