Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Loose Semi-Autobiographical Theological Musings on Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Remonstrant View Post
    In part, perhaps. But I believe human beings tend to be quite sad creatures, honestly. God is so often an addition to our lives. It should not be this way. He is everything. I am not seeking to promote some kind of hyper-spirituality here. That said, I recognize we do live in a day and age when God is considered increasingly irrelevant. Most believers are almost frighteningly naturalistic in their worldview. I have discovered the accusation that many Christians live and breathe as practical atheists is unfortunately true. We are literally standing on a battle field. Though the victory of Christ is indeed certain (as evidenced by the resurrection), the battle is not yet over.
    Actually living under the belief that Jesus the Messiah was crucified and was raised and His Spirit was now indwells us is very difficult (needless to say, I would make a terrible, terrible role model). I would say that it would be impossible without two conditions: the first being fellowship with like-minded believers, the second is a constant renewing of the mind - which does not so much involve reading elaborate systems of theologies but critically observing the worldliness of our own individual social and cultural context and work and pray to forge one's way through.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
      Actually living under the belief that Jesus the Messiah was crucified and was raised and His Spirit was now indwells us is very difficult (needless to say, I would make a terrible, terrible role model). I would say that it would be impossible without two conditions: the first being fellowship with like-minded believers, the second is a constant renewing of the mind - which does not so much involve reading elaborate systems of theologies but critically observing the worldliness of our own individual social and cultural context and work and pray to forge one's way through.
      Great observations, Paprika. I quite appreciate your reflections on T-Web. You are easily one of the most open-minded individuals I have encountered here (and I have been on T-Web on and off since 2006).
      For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

Great observations, Paprika. I quite appreciate your reflections on T-Web. You are easily one of the most open-minded individuals I have encountered here (and I have been on T-Web on and off since 2006).
        Thanks, I appreciate that.

Comment

Scrawly:

Where have I indicted believers as "worldly" for having "jobs and bank accounts" as you say? This is all completely out of left field, Scrawly. Also, I would be interested to know where you derive the notion that I am "obsessing over other people's sin". This too is bogus. If there is any indictment I have made against anyone on this thread it is myself. It seems you have greatly misconstrued my posts here.

It appears as though you have have cast my words in a very dim light. The opening post was not directed to anyone specifically here on T-Web or intended to serve as a sermon of sorts where I "preach to the choir". In my response to you I was continuing in the same basic vein as in the opening post. It should have been clear that I was not soliciting anyone for advice (as perhaps in the past). The title of this thread serves to clarify this. The last time we have had any personal communication was in 2012. You seem to be making a lot of assumptions (or insinuations, if you prefer) as to where I am presently in my walk (of which you are quite ignorant). It is not my supposition that I am better or more "pious" than anyone here. I get the sense throughout your two messages here that you are speaking condescendingly. If so, I really do not appreciate it. Perhaps such was not your intention, but this is how your various statements on this thread appear to me.

Lastly, I did not appreciate your quick dismissal of Scripture. The human tendency is to have one's mind set on this world first and foremost. As believers, God then can quickly become our add-on to carry along with us in order to live our best lives now. I understand that we do live in this world and God has not called us all to be ascetics. The simple idea I am stressing is that the present age will pass and the one to come will endure forever. I know you know this. It is simply a matter of priorities that I am attempting to stress in accordance with the Scriptures. After you have faced extensive persecution for being a servant of Christ and spent time in prison as an apostle of God (as in the case of Paul), I would be interested to see if you would respond in such a flippant manner to the words we read in Philippians 3:17-21 as you did above. I doubt you would. Quite apart from whether you and I get on well, have some reverence in your treatment of the Word of God. That is all I ask.
          Sorry but I stand by what I wrote and I exaggerated to make my points clear. I do not wish to debate vagueness upon vagueness because it will only lead to quarreling. Hopefully you understand my intentions and why I wrote in the manner I did. I did not denigrate the word of God with my response as it was not directed to the text you quoted, but to its misuse among those with ascetic tendencies and an immature perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
            Sorry but I stand by what I wrote and I exaggerated to make my points clear. I do not wish to debate vagueness upon vagueness because it will only lead to quarreling. Hopefully you understand my intentions and why I wrote in the manner I did. I did not denigrate the word of God with my response as it was not directed to the text you quoted, but to its misuse among those with ascetic tendencies and an immature perspective.
            Yes, I understand how the Scriptures can be hyper-spiritualized (my term). I simply did not appreciate your unsolicited advice (however well-intentioned), especially seeing as you do not know me or my present circumstances by any stretch of the imagination. I could have especially done without the bit about acquiring a girlfriend. Have you been reading PUA volumes? I would ask you to pull your alpha moves somewhere else.

I suppose all this back and forth could have been avoided if the blog feature were available on T-Web as in its former state.
            Last edited by The Remonstrant; 03-23-2014, 03:56 AM.
            For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

I agree with him that you sound depressed. Whether a girlfriend would help I can't say for sure.

Comment

Have you been reading PUA volumes? I would ask you to pull your alpha moves somewhere else.
                I have been ickified by reading that stuff lately. It is enough to make anyone depressed.

It does sound like you might be depressed. I am a fellow sufferer.
                The State. Ideas so good they have to be mandatory.

sigpic

Comment

[bewildered]PUA[/bewildered] Scrawly, a pick up artist?

Comment

Hi, Remonstrant.

I think you are saying some profound things, which leads me to believe that you are being led by the Spirit in your life of repentance from previous answers that you now realize are no longer sufficient at a deeper level of searching. No one else can give you these answers but a trusted pastor or friend can be invaluable, especially if they honor and respect who and where you are in this process. Dark night of the soul or depression can be a part of spiritual growth, especially if they lead you outward toward greater charity and friendship with others and a life of service and not merely an inward self-centeredness. Lots of people have gone before us in this life of repentance and search for holiness and sincerity. I will keep you in my prayers.
                    אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                      Hi, Remonstrant.

I think you are saying some profound things
                      Now I know how Elaine from Seinfeld felt when that doctor called her breathtaking.
                      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
                        I agree with him that you sound depressed. Whether a girlfriend would help I can't say for sure.
                        I was only throwing out a suggestion and merely used 'girlfriend' as a placeholder for any suitable substitute he may desire. Maybe he would benefit from a kitten, learning a trade, an Xbox, etc.

When I was undergoing severe depression I also suffered from bouts of religious mania and it was very hard to disentangle genuine spirituality and faith in God with the episodes of religious mania. So if Remo is suffering from this or something similar I really feel for him and highly suggest he enlist the help of a professional, as I should have done.

I didn't mean to sound so callous and forceful but due to my experiences, I cannot simply look at a situation like his and nod approvingly that God is "doing a work in him" and leave it at that.

Comment

Originally posted by Dee Dee Warren View Post
                          It does sound like you might be depressed. I am a fellow sufferer.
                          I did not know this about you Dee Dee.

I will concede I have dealt with various degrees of depression for many, many years. I am not ashamed to admit this (as I have also in the past on T-Web). There are many believers who suffer in this respect. I suppose we can both derive comfort knowing that depression is not unique to us as believers.

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                            Hi, Remonstrant.

I think you are saying some profound things, which leads me to believe that you are being led by the Spirit in your life of repentance from previous answers that you now realize are no longer sufficient at a deeper level of searching. No one else can give you these answers but a trusted pastor or friend can be invaluable, especially if they honor and respect who and where you are in this process. Dark night of the soul or depression can be a part of spiritual growth, especially if they lead you outward toward greater charity and friendship with others and a life of service and not merely an inward self-centeredness. Lots of people have gone before us in this life of repentance and search for holiness and sincerity. I will keep you in my prayers.
                            robrect:

Thank you for your kind words of wisdom.

Comment

I will concede I have dealt with various degrees of depression for many, many years. I am not ashamed to admit this (as I have also in the past on T-Web). There are many believers who suffer in this respect. I suppose we can both derive comfort knowing that depression is not unique to us as believers.
                              As have I (with a co-morbidity). I sometimes think of Paul's thorn in the flesh and how God's grace was nonetheless sufficient, though this is admittedly easier to accept in the abstract than it is in the heat of the moment.
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I have chronic very deep depressive episodes for going on 15 or so years. I can relate. I am going through a bad spell right now myself, praying I will not need meds.
                                The State. Ideas so good they have to be mandatory.

sigpic

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X