Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Dawkins, NOMA, and You: Inchoate musings on things I don't really grok.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
    Instead of that noise let me go ahead and summarize as follows:

Meh Gerbil: "Why do you not believe there is a God?"
    Doug Shaver: "I've see no evidence of a God."
    So far, so good.

Meh Gerbil: "How about the world around us?"
    Doug Shaver: "That all has naturalistic explanation."
    I would say that, yes, but not because I infer it from my unbelief in God or any assumption of his nonexistence. There are atheists who reject naturalism without contradicting themselves -- which must be possible if, as you have insisted, atheism doesn't actually assert anything. Atheism cannot play any defining role in answering any question if it asserts nothing that can contribute to an answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
      So far, so good.

I would say that, yes, but not because I infer it from my unbelief in God or any assumption of his nonexistence. There are atheists who reject naturalism without contradicting themselves -- which must be possible if, as you have insisted, atheism doesn't actually assert anything. Atheism cannot play any defining role in answering any question if it asserts nothing that can contribute to an answer.
      Again, the term 'world-view' is meant to describe a starting point for understanding an individual.

That said, I'd say atheism certainly contributes to all answers for those that adopt it by virtue of the fact an alleged source of truth has been eliminated.

Let's say I have to chose between two lawyers I've never met:
      Bob Bobbie
      Dan Dannie

If I don't believe Bobs exist then that belief pretty much lands me Dan Dannie as a lawyer.
      In fact, my search for a lawyer was short circuited - Bob wasn't even considered.

So while 'world-view' can be used as short hand to help understand an individual it is also used by the individual to short circuit the search for answers.
      Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Again, the term 'world-view' is meant to describe a starting point for understanding an individual.
        I disagree, the world view may be determined by one's culture, and religion one is raised in, which is unfortunately the dominant case. World views can evolve and change, particularly in the case of the world view of atheism and various degrees of agnosticism. It is a fact that most non-believers were raised in a Theist world view, later adopt it and it was not their starting point.
        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
          I disagree, the world view may be determined by one's culture, and religion one is raised in, which is unfortunately the dominant case. World views can evolve and change, particularly in the case of the world view of atheism and various degrees of agnosticism. It is a fact that most non-believers were raised in a Theist world view, later adopt it and it was not their starting point.
          Way to misunderstand, bruh.
          ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
            It's perfectly relevant for the reasons I already mentioned.
            Not really. What other people believe doesn't dictate what I believe. You can play word games with absence of belief vs active disbelief, but that's a red herring at best.

No there won't be.
            So you say.

I find that so unlikely as to be absolutely implausible.
            Well that certainly counts for a lot.

Absolutely ridiculous. One need not know about every god to know that the concept of divinity does, in fact, exist for most people in the world, and has always existed for most people in the world.
            One has to be introduced to the concept of divinity in the first place, which my daughter (and many like her) have not been. Exposure to these concepts is very dependent on environment. But then, this bit about knowing every god is a strawman. I suggested nothing of the sort.
            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
              Not really. What other people believe doesn't dictate what I believe.
              That's silliness. Of course it does.

So you say.
              Only because it's indisputably true.

Well that certainly counts for a lot.
              Unless you're raising her in a bunker or on a private island, the very idea of it is laughable.

One has to be introduced to the concept of divinity in the first place, which my daughter (and many like her) have not been. Exposure to these concepts is very dependent on environment.
              If they're old enough to play with other children, of course they've been exposed. And certainly she'll be exposed by the time she's a teenager. Everyone knows someone who believes in divinity of one kind or another.

But then, this bit about knowing every god is a strawman. I suggested nothing of the sort.
              What are you talking about? You literally said, "most of my family is pretty blank when it comes to any god except for theirs". No one suggested that one must be intimate with every other religion, or with any other religion. The fact that your parents know other people who believe in the same god/s as they do is enough to make my case.

Comment

If I don't believe Bobs exist then that belief pretty much lands me Dan Dannie as a lawyer. In fact, my search for a lawyer was short circuited - Bob wasn't even considered.
                Obviously. But epistemically speaking, that is not a problem unless you have been given a good reason to believe in Bobs and ignored it. If, on the other hand, you have made a good-faith effort to find Bob Bobbie and failed, then you can't be faulted for going with Dannie -- especially if, having found him, you have utilized his services and found them satisfactory.

'world-view' . . . is also used by the individual to short circuit the search for answers.
                That can happen. You're not justified in assuming that it always happens.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                  Shuny is like a nerd who doesn't actually know anything useful, sees two other nerds talking about an advanced science topic and, to avoid feeling dumb, interjects with some random factiod from Star Wars so as to reassure himself he knows just as much as they do.
                  "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                    Shuny is like a nerd who doesn't actually know anything useful, sees two other nerds talking about an advanced science topic and, to avoid feeling dumb, interjects with some random factiod from Star Wars so as to reassure himself he knows just as much as they do.
                    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

What you're accidently illustrating here is how atheism is, in fact, a world-view.
                      What you are illustrating is your ability to misconstrue anything your adversaries say so as to make them out to be liars.

^--- As you can see, the adherence to atheism plays the defining role in how important questions about the world around us are answered by the atheist.
                      I don't see anything of the sort. It's my worldview, and I know how it's defined.

It frames how the questions are asked, what are the acceptable parameters for an answer, and so on.
                      No, it doesn't.

That is why the term 'atheism' can be a handy title for a world-view.
                      It's handy, all right, but only for your polemical purposes.

Comment

What you are illustrating is your ability to misconstrue anything your adversaries say so as to make them out to be liars.
                        See: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/dayligh...ive-worldview/
                        We've already established in this thread that 'atheism' is commonly used to refer to a world-view and to its technical definition.
                        Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Adam Lee is not the atheists' pope. We don't have to go along with anything he says.

We've already established in this thread . . . .
                          You Christians have reached a consensus that says we atheists are so deluded that we don't even know what we're talking about when we tell you what we believe.

Comment

Adam Lee is not the atheists' pope. We don't have to go along with anything he says.
                            That has no bearing on the word having two distinct recognized meanings.

You Christians have reached a consensus that says we atheists are so deluded that we don't even know what we're talking about when we tell you what we believe.
                            You just declared Adam Lee as being wrong while at the same time claiming nobody has the right to define the term 'atheism' for all people.
                            My recognition that you've no clue what you're talking about has nothing to do with Christianity, but rather self-contradictory claims you make.

And no, I'm not saying all atheists are self-contradictory, just you.
                            I hope that provides you with the level of granularity you were seeking.

Comment

That has no bearing on the word having two distinct recognized meanings.
                              If both meanings are recognized, then on what grounds do you insist that only one of them is the right one?

You just declared Adam Lee as being wrong while at the same time claiming nobody has the right to define the term 'atheism' for all people.
                              I am not claiming that nobody has that right. I am claiming that we who call ourselves atheists have the right, and people who reject atheism do not have the right.

Comment

If both meanings are recognized, then on what grounds do you insist that only one of them is the right one?
                                I think we're in a agreement.
                                I'll leave it at that.

Comment