Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Not true Christians?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
    They saw the lack of an education as a qualification.
    For a pastor I'd say it's about 50/50, if not more, that an education is disqualifying. It of course depends on the education, but when it comes to social roles, education is a near guaranteed trip to liberalsville, in which case bragging about only having a high school diploma, while not quite as good as a proper education, also guarantees to a large extent that he hasn't been convinced by his peers that Jesus came to earth to fight racism or global warming.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
      For a pastor I'd say it's about 50/50, if not more, that an education is disqualifying. It of course depends on the education, but when it comes to social roles, education is a near guaranteed trip to liberalsville, in which case bragging about only having a high school diploma, while not quite as good as a proper education, also guarantees to a large extent that he hasn't been convinced by his peers that Jesus came to earth to fight racism or global warming.
      I dunno, Darth, Revelation seems to say quite a bit about global warming.
      Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
        ...education is a near guaranteed trip to liberalsville
        We probably should define our terms.
        When I speak of education I mean 'education' and not the liberal version which is 'brainwashing'.
        Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
          Can we get back to the horrible cult?
          What more do you want to say beyond the fact that they are horrible and their Christianity is dubious at best.
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

It can be difficult to determine if an individual is a Christian or not although is it relatively easy to determine if an individual's actions are in alignment with Christian teaching.

This reminds me of a missionary story wherein a missionary informed a chief of a newly converted tribe that having multiple wives was problematic.
            The chief immediately had 4 of his wives drowned in the river.
            His heart was in the right place... but, you know....

Comment

Where'd Roy go? Does he know that no one(I hope) on Tweb would agree with that cult? Every Christian here would highly oppose such abuse. Sadly, spiritual abuse is a thing. I don't know why people would hurt others like this, but I do know justice will be served one day. And it's best to repent while there is still a chance.
              I don't think he posted this with the intention of arguing the point of whether these should be considered "true Christians" or not. The concept is simple enough, Roy seems like a reasonable person, and this case is pretty egregious, so I don't think he would disagree with any of us here (?).

I may be wrong, for sure. But that's how the OP in its glorious brevity looked to me.
              We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore on Christ's behalf: 'Be reconciled to God!!'
              - 2 Corinthians 5:20.
              In deviantArt: ll-bisto-ll.deviantart.com
              Christian art and more: Christians.deviantart.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bisto View Post
                I don't think he posted this with the intention of arguing the point of whether these should be considered "true Christians" or not. The concept is simple enough, Roy seems like a reasonable person, and this case is pretty egregious, so I don't think he would disagree with any of us here (?).

I may be wrong, for sure. But that's how the OP in its glorious brevity looked to me.
                So, what's the point of this thread then? Evil, abusive cults exist? We already know that!
                If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

I don't know if they were true Christians or not. Odd behavior and inconsistent application of Jesus's commandments to love one another do not automatically mean somebody is going to hell or else every one of us would be in trouble.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

So, what's the point of this thread then? Evil, abusive cults exist? We already know that!

Guilt by association. Roy's a slime and that's what he does.
                    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                      I don't know if they were true Christians or not. Odd behavior and inconsistent application of Jesus's commandments to love one another do not automatically mean somebody is going to hell or else every one of us would be in trouble.
                      Right. Only God knows their hearts.

Comment

The leadership of this outfit is, of course, held to a higher standard than 'average Christians'.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          The leadership of this outfit is, of course, held to a higher standard than 'average Christians'.
                          Isn't there a verse(verses?) about teachers and leaders being judged more strictly?

Comment

Isn't there a verse(verses?) about teachers and leaders being judged more strictly?
                            James 3:1
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              I was thinking more about the members than the leaders. The leaders would have a hard case to make, I think.

Comment

I was thinking more about the members than the leaders. The leaders would have a hard case to make, I think.
                                I thought we were talking about the leaders. Not the people who accidentally joined the wrong church.

Comment