Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

AGW Hypocrites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]21146[/ATTACH]
    Much better!
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
      Eventually moving from reliance on fossil fuels to more sustainable and renewable sources such as wind, solar, and nuclear. As far as I can tell, people like DiCaprio are less demanding of "normal people" than they are major movers and shakers like government leaders and Exxon, BP, and other major industry giants.
      Nice try but any cost increases on any of those entities will result in either more taxation or higher gas prices (which means higher prices for just about everything, period). So the dilemma remains, you're just awkwardly trying to absolve this hypocrite of his sins by trying to segregate his demands from their consequences.
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
        Nice try but any cost increases on any of those entities will result in either more taxation or higher gas prices (which means higher prices for just about everything, period). So the dilemma remains, you're just awkwardly trying to absolve this hypocrite of his sins by trying to segregate his demands from their consequences.
        Why would there be a tax increase to move away from a non-renewable energy source? Assuming there is, it could probably be argued that it would be offset by the drop off in military spending in those places that we currently rely on for oil.

But even assuming everything you said is true, DiCaprio will also be taxed higher, and will also pay higher prices for just about everything. If that's the price that needs to be payed for a cleaner environment, and a healthier earth, then so be it. Perhaps had governments and industries been more willing to adjust to sustainable resources earlier, then we wouldn't be complaining today about higher prices. The little people always seem to pay for the price of the government's procrastination on these sorts of things.

At any rate, none of this really has anything to do with DeCaprio legally using the resources at his disposal. As far as I know, he has no investments in the world's major polluters like Chevron, Exxon, BP, etc. If he did, then I'd totally agree that he was being hypocritical. Doesn't seem right to me that he should be painted a hypocrite just for being rich, and doing rich people things, while still investing tons of his money and time into charitable causes that address these concerns.
        Last edited by Adrift; 02-28-2017, 12:19 PM.

Comment

How would that make him a hypocrite? Assuming the eyebrow artist flew on a private jet rather than 1st class on a regular airliner, would the emissions from that private jet trip really amount to anything in the grand scheme of things?
          .05% dog turd in a brownie doesn't amount to anything in the grand scheme, but I'll bet none of us would take a bite...
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
            .05% dog turd in a brownie doesn't amount to anything in the grand scheme, but I'll bet none of us would take a bite...

Comment

Something that you think is disgusting, you shouldn't be going out of your way to contribute to, even in minute percentages. Hence the dog turd in the brownie bit. I've used that on my youth groups for years to explain why a single sin that you refuse to address is just as bad as dog turd brownies.
              That's what
              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Something that you think is disgusting, you shouldn't be going out of your way to contribute to, even in minute percentages. Hence the dog turd in the brownie bit. I've used that on my youth groups for years to explain why a single sin that you refuse to address is just as bad as dog turd brownies.
                I think a more apt analogy would be natural germs or bacteria lurking in a preparer's washed hands as they make the brownies. Unless you're some sort of germaphobe, knowing that some food was made with hands that have been washed shouldn't be a big concern. It will have absolutely no impact in the grand scheme of things. Just like flying someone to the US will have absolutely no impact in the grand scheme of things. You guys are acting like he's committed some sin here. Like he's done something evil. He hasn't. Not even by his own reckoning. For all practical purposes, flying someone from Australia to the US will have almost zero negative impact on the environment.

This sort of all or nothing approach to politics is so strange to me. I'm pro-environment, but I still drive a car. In fact, I have more than one car. Being pro-environment doesn't mean that you have to become a zealous nut.

Comment

If you are cow poke you wouldn't know the difference.

Personally even if he isn't an environmentalist, I think flying a "eyebrow artist" in is a totally wasteful and idiot thing to do. Sure, he has the money and he can do what he wants with it, but showing it off like that is arrogant and wasteful. Like Jim Bakker and his air conditioned dog house.

These Hollywood types go on and on about helping the poor and how bad kids have it in Africa and all these other "causes" that they use to make themselves look compassionate, and instead of using their own money to help these causes, they spend it to fly an eyebrow artist in to pluck their brows. And then these same people have the gall to claim to fight for the lower class Americans, and against the 1%. As if they are not the 1% themselves.

It is completely hypocritical on many levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    If you are cow poke you wouldn't know the difference.

Personally even if he isn't an environmentalist, I think flying a "eyebrow artist" in is a totally wasteful and idiot thing to do. Sure, he has the money and he can do what he wants with it, but showing it off like that is arrogant and wasteful. Like Jim Bakker and his air conditioned dog house.

These Hollywood types go on and on about helping the poor and how bad kids have it in Africa and all these other "causes" that they use to make themselves look compassionate, and instead of using their own money to help these causes, they spend it to fly an eyebrow artist in to pluck their brows. And then these same people have the gall to claim to fight for the lower class Americans, and against the 1%. As if they are not the 1% themselves.

It is completely hypocritical on many levels.
                    But what if he gives money to charities, and also splurges on goofy rich people things like this? Why can he only do one or the other, but not both?

Comment

So according to the Daily Mail, DiCaprio was not the one who flew her over and she didn't do his eyebrows.

Leonardo DiCaprio denies flying a personal eyebrow groomer 7,500 miles from Sydney to LA to get him red carpet ready for the Oscars

Leonardo DiCaprio did not fly an eyebrow artist 7,500 miles to tend to his brows at the Oscars, contrary to several reports.

Australian eyebrow artist Sharon-Lee Hamilton was flown halfway round the world to spruce up the brows of a 'select' few 'A-list' celebrities with Leo initially said to be one of her clients by a number of publications.

But a source told Mail Online that the reports she treated The Titanic star's brows before the ceremony were 'completely untrue.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...#ixzz4a0UjSwYi

Comment

Nobody can reach this standard, Bill, nobody.

If you watch any T.V. the ads you see help contribute to the production of the filth you don't watch.
                        If you eat any fast food you help finance a business that contributes to the obesity and death of millions.

I believe each person has blind spots or sin that is too much for him to handle at a given time.
                        Somehow, through the imperfection, a guy has to get up and go about his day.
                        Nobody can bake brownies that are 100% turd free - nobody.

Our goal isn't to lead sinless lives but rather to live lives powered by Jesus Christ.
                        There is a significant attitude difference there.
                        Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

I demand turd-free brownies!

#Occupybrownies

Comment

Rich people things.
                            "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
                            Hear my cry, hear my shout,
                            Save me, save me"

Comment

You're forgetting that his plane runs on recycled farts.
                              Blog: Atheism and the City

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

But what if he gives money to charities, and also splurges on goofy rich people things like this? Why can he only do one or the other, but not both?
                                I guess it is the "marketing" aspect of it. And I don't know about DiCaprio specifically, so I am speaking of the normal Hollywood Celebritard. They want to market themselves as being caring and trying to save the world. A spokeperson urging people to help these poor people or starving children or recycle or whatever, then they don't do it themselves. If they are talking about poor people and how we should help them, then they turn around and spend thousands on something frivolous that is hypocrisy. Don't be the spokesperson for that issue if you are not going to live up to that example yourself. That's all I am saying.

Comment