Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

focus moving to who knows where

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• focus moving to who knows where

I searched the the TWeb errors thread for anything related to browsers losing focus. Nothing.

So I started a new thread, this one.

My problem may have nothing to do with TWeb even though it only seems to happen when I am on TWeb.

Now and then my browser window would lose focus, and I cannot see where it went.

I suspect it's the way my laplet is designed and made, but I want someone who knows about loss of focus that occurs unexplainably.
    The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

what do you mean by losing focus?

Comment

Originally posted by TS
      searched the the TWeb errors thread
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

tweb is as the wind bloweth. No man knows from where it is coming nor where it is going.

more information would be helpful. what is the Operating System (or the device make and model)?

I have a problem on a windows 2008 system where the wordpad windows won't be redisplayed unless I click on the task bar and open up the window in maximized mode.

Oh, another thing. I try to open up Chrome browser and it doesn't seem to open - but I'm getting by okay for the moment.

Comment

Moving winders around, or opening a bunch of new winders, can sometimes cause the current winders to minimize, hang, or de-saturate, especially if you're reaching your memory limit. It has a greater possibility of doing so the more interactive and plug-inny a site is, which Tweb qualifies for.

Comment

Now and then I have to tap the screen so that the window that lost focus for no apparent reason would regain the focus. This is especially annoying when I'm making a post using the TWeb editor. How would you like to type a long while and discover that the Quick Reply box had not been getting your input?
            The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Ok, the specs of my computer.
              Win 8.1
              Intel Core i7-3537U @ 2GHz (maybe too much info, but who knows!)
              8G RAM, 7.88 free (before loading TWeb, which requires 11 G, right?)
              64 bits (all over my body, and I stopped counting at 64)
              Full Windows Touch Support, 10 Touch points
              Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 13

Comment

In this case I'd probably blame an imperfect integration of touchscreen and laptop interface (during the times when windows are cutting out, hit ctrl-alt-del and bring up Task manager to see what's up. Firefox runs as one large process no matter how many tabs, Chrome has a different process for each tab, which strikes me as more sane for troubleshooting purposes.)

Comment

Oh, sorry, I didn't think to mention I'm running IE 11.

Comment

Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
                    In this case I'd probably blame an imperfect integration of touchscreen and laptop interface (during the times when windows are cutting out, hit ctrl-alt-del and bring up Task manager to see what's up. Firefox runs as one large process no matter how many tabs, Chrome has a different process for each tab, which strikes me as more sane for troubleshooting purposes.)
                    To me it sounds like some service or program that is running in the background is taking primary "focus" and making his browser lose focus. Could be spyware, or almost any normal program too. Maybe run the task manager and shut down as many other programs as he can and see if that helps. And run a virus/malware scan too. Also try a different browser like firefox.

Comment

It's IE - our new work computers do the same thing, especially if you bump the mouse.
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

I have an hunch about the bug-you-till-you-buy-it popup for the McAfee anti-virus software. The popup comes up at odd times, seemingly unpredictably. Suppose now once in a while something keeps it from appearing. The focus would have shifted, but there is no visible indication where it went. The focus would not return to the browser, until I hit the browser window or do something else that brings back the focus.

Thinking about uninstalling the McAfee software, but I do need anti-virus software.

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                          I have an hunch about the bug-you-till-you-buy-it popup for the McAfee anti-virus software. The popup comes up at odd times, seemingly unpredictably. Suppose now once in a while something keeps it from appearing. The focus would have shifted, but there is no visible indication where it went. The focus would not return to the browser, until I hit the browser window or do something else that brings back the focus.

Thinking about uninstalling the McAfee software, but I do need anti-virus software.
                          Microsoft Security Essentials, (comes free with windows) is as good as McAfee. Better. McAfee has turned into basically spamware. It's as bad has having a virus itself.

Avast is another good free one.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            Microsoft Security Essentials, (comes free with windows) is as good as McAfee. Better. McAfee has turned into basically spamware. It's as bad has having a virus itself.

Avast is another good free one.
                            Agreed.
                            "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
                            -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            I support the :
                            sigpic

Comment

Actually, for Win 8.1, Windows Defender and Windows Defender Offline. But based on Sparko's and Irate's opinion of McAfee, I'm going to uninstall McAfee now. Thanks!

I will report after a while if that stops the wandering focus.

Comment