Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Godwin's Law and Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    I'm not a communist seer. I can't believe you'd say that about me.
    Sheesh Leonhard, you are more thin skinned than Trump!
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

A quarter year, and it's not slowed down one bit. I really hope this isn't the shape of things to come for this forum.
      What hasn't slowed down one bit? I'm not sure what you're referring to, specifically.
      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
        What hasn't slowed down one bit? I'm not sure what you're referring to, specifically.
        The "well-earned blowback" as you call it.

Comment

The entire left has been doubling down on the craziness. And stop pretending you're not part of it when you're trying to cram men in girls' bathrooms. I dunno why Gerbil thinks it'll die down. It'll end in civil war.
          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

A quarter year, and it's not slowed down one bit. I really hope this isn't the shape of things to come for this forum.
            Part of the problem is that the left (not you in particular) is doubling down on the harmful rhetoric.
            While it is true that people should turn the other cheek the vast majority of people don't live by that rule.

I think it will die down here after the euphoria of kicking the name callers in the teeth wears off.
            Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

I don't see where anyone called it 'well earned blowback'.
              Toss a bro a link?
              Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                It's a great impulse. There's no virtue or honor in serving as the punching bag of crazy, evil people.
                You keep equating name calling and political discourse with overt physical attacks.
                They aren't the same thing.

Comment

I think the problem Leonhard, not just here at tweb, but with the whole situation in the USA, is that the conservatives put up some "fight" when Obama became president but they didn't riot in the streets and burn cars, and break windows, and demand a recount, and refuse to accept Obama as president. They just complained and went on.

The public left is using dishonest and horribly underhanded "tricks" to try to get a "redo" - impeach Trump or get him to step down, or invalidate the election, etc. They lie about him, make up news stories, call him and his followers names like nazis, racists, etc, and what? Do they expect the conservatives to just sit on their butts and take it? again? No. We will fight back. We WON'T use violence. But we will use the truth and words. We won't be doormats. So, if that makes you uncomfortable, I am sorry. I don't think of you as one of those types of people, and I have no problems with democrats in general - here on tweb or in the real world. But heck, this IS a debate site. We are going to argue about things here, and we will discuss the rest of the world and US politics. When the democrats out in the world do things like riots, or fake news, etc, we will discuss it and call it out. I don't see it being much different than it has been for several years now, just more intense because the election year.

Personally I am hoping the theology section picks up. This is Theologyweb after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
                    You keep equating name calling and political discourse with overt physical attacks.
                    They aren't the same thing.
                    You keep equating the slowly grinding down of the minds, bodies and souls of all your neighbours with "name calling and political discourse". They aren't the same thing.

Although if it's physical attacks you're looking for liberals have a bigger body count than Nazi Germany with abortion alone, and they don't shy away from more benign political violence either:

"As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      I think the problem Leonhard, not just here at tweb, but with the whole situation in the USA, is that the conservatives put up some "fight" when Obama became president but they didn't riot in the streets and burn cars, and break windows, and demand a recount, and refuse to accept Obama as president. They just complained and went on.
                      I wish I had good numbers on anything like this. It's something I hear conservatives repeat a lot about themselves. It might be true, but you're not exactly the right people to ask about it. I don't trust my own memory on that. I have vague memories of some blacks getting harassed on his election day by various racists, but that's about it.

Without numbers I'm afraid on that it's going to be 'he said', 'she said', 'this is the way I remembered it'.

I respect your take on it though Sparko.

The public left is using dishonest and horribly underhanded "tricks" to try to get a "redo" - impeach Trump or get him to step down, or invalidate the election, etc.
                      The birther movement - You guys don't get to talk about dishonesty, underhandedness, or anything embarrassing like that after so many US conservatives hoped so much (Trump himself remember), that there was something fishy in those birth certificate and they turned out to be just what you expected - born on Hawaii, just as it was told.

People seriously hoped that this meant that Obama was an illegitimate president.

There's just seriously no way of cutting around that.

Do they expect the conservatives to just sit on their butts and take it?
                      Are you allowed to say 'butt'? Aren't you going to get an infraction for that?

So, if that makes you uncomfortable, I am sorry. ... But heck, this IS a debate site.
                      Actually right now I don't think it's a proper debate site. I'm not sure what it is. But it's a bunch of conservatives agreeing with each other, and the usual atheist suspects, and a Christian liberal like me.

Do you feel it's a debating site right now? Are we debating stuff?

Right now, of course, we're having a meta discussion, but this whole post was just yet another 'Lulz Liberals - So dumb they could get lost in Walmart and starve to death' post.

It's a bit unnerving, to me at least, that people I've been friends with will post all about that and then simple refer to 'leftists' or 'liberals' in all sorts of contexts. In the US, or off-shore, and I'm starting to wonder, who do you think the enemy is?

Personally I am hoping the theology section picks up. This is Theologyweb after all.
                      I would take discussing postmodern polish 8mm experimental movies over Civics. I just like you guys and I don't want to miss this place.

Comment

I don't see where anyone called it 'well earned blowback'.
                        Toss a bro a link?

"To pretend the blowback is unearned is ridiculous; however unfair it may be for you to catch some of it."

It was a sympathetic post, and I appreciate it. But you did say it.

Comment

I wish I had good numbers on anything like this. It's something I hear conservatives repeat a lot about themselves. It might be true, but you're not exactly the right people to ask about it. I don't trust my own memory on that. I have vague memories of some blacks getting harassed on his election day by various racists, but that's about it.

Without numbers I'm afraid on that it's going to be 'he said', 'she said', 'this is the way I remembered it'.

I respect your take on it though Sparko.
                          ok.

The birther movement - You guys don't get to talk about dishonesty, underhandedness, or anything embarrassing like that after so many US conservatives hoped so much (Trump himself remember), that there was something fishy in those birth certificate and they turned out to be just what you expected - born on Hawaii, just as it was told.
                          The birther movement was a small fringe movement by some whackos. It was never as widespread as the "recount" or the other things going on now. Maybe in retrospect all the "snowflakes" and "riots" and calling of names and recounts will end up being a fringe movement too in the grand scheme of things. I do think that most democrats are hard working, centrists, who have families and only care about their jobs and so on. But there seems to be a very large and very vocal and in-your-face group of young democrats who want to just be anarchists and fight. And then you have the media, who have always been on the left, but who seem to be going out of their way now to just make up news. Again, I think it is the influence of the left leaning millennials who are now in the media, and on the blogs.

Actually right now I don't think it's a proper debate site. I'm not sure what it is. But it's a bunch of conservatives agreeing with each other, and the usual atheist suspects, and a Christian liberal like me.
                          Agreeing? If we were all agreeing there wouldn't be all this arguing and back and forth that is bothering you. Sure the conservatives are going to agree and so will the liberals. But when it comes to our religion, I will side with a liberal Christian over a conservative atheist any day. At least the liberal Christians we have here on this site, like you and King's Gambit and Spartacus and so on. You might be liberal but you don't support abortion, for instance.

Do you feel it's a debating site right now? Are we debating stuff?
                          sure.

Right now, of course, we're having a meta discussion, but this whole post was just yet another 'Lulz Liberals - So dumb they could get lost in Walmart and starve to death' post.
                          So stay out of civics. There are many other areas. Maybe if people started posting in them, civics would die back down.

It's a bit unnerving, to me at least, that people I've been friends with will post all about that and then simple refer to 'leftists' or 'liberals' in all sorts of contexts. In the US, or off-shore, and I'm starting to wonder, who do you think the enemy is?
                          It's all just rhetoric. I have no actual ill will towards anyone on here. Not Starlight, Tassman, JimL, Firstfloor, etc. If I met any one of them in real life I would shake their hand. Things have always gotten heated when discussing religion and politics. especially here on theologyweb.

I would take discussing postmodern polish 8mm experimental movies over Civics. I just like you guys and I don't want to miss this place.
                          I like you too. You used to spend most of your time in tektonics, why not hang out there again? Tell JP to start some interesting threads like he used to. Of course that area got pretty heated too with lots of name calling.

Comment

"To pretend the blowback is unearned is ridiculous; however unfair it may be for you to catch some of it."

It was a sympathetic post, and I appreciate it. But you did say it.
                            I'd quibble over the fact I didn't write it as 'well' earned but I figure you've had a rough day already.
                            I'll assume you've apologized and said the requisite number of 'Hail Gerbils'.

Comment

I'd quibble over the fact I didn't write it as 'well' earned but I figure you've had a rough day already.
                              I'll assume you've apologized and said the requisite number of 'Hail Gerbils'.
                              You're alright, I remember thanking you for the private message you sent me back when.

And yes I'm going through a light to moderate depression. I'm not in a good place these days, but it'll blow over eventually. If I sound bitter and nasty, I apologize for it, I'll try to be more aware of my tone.

Comment

You're alright, I remember thanking you for the private message you sent me back when.

And yes I'm going through a light to moderate depression. I'm not in a good place these days, but it'll blow over eventually. If I sound bitter and nasty, I apologize for it, I'll try to be more aware of my tone.
                                I get depressed when I lose my focus.

I like to remind myself of these things:
                                1: The Kingdom of Jesus Christ has already begun.
                                2: The Kingdom of Jesus Christ cannot be defeated.
                                3: The Kingdom of Jesus Christ is about power under not power over.
                                4: The current political systems/people/powers are destined to fail.
                                5: Love is the most powerful force in the universe.

When I step into the political realm I have to remember that democracy/capitalism/whatever are all fundamentally in defiance of God's rule. God allows these things for order but His Kingdom is an eternal monarchy - and my membership in that kingdom is more important than this transient nonsense. This colors my thinking such that I believe the act of helping the poor, giving someone a break, or a kind word are far more important than who the current president happens to be.

Let me share an example: Immigration

Let's say the Democrats get their wish and the borders cease to exist so that every disease ridden third world terrorist can enter the U.S.A. and plunder our daughters. (I wrote that in the most offensive way possible just to upset you.) If the Christians set about with sacrificial acts of love and care for these people and teach those that are willing to listen then those that believe become a part of our eternal inheritance and the Kingdom of Jesus Christ wins.

Let's say the Republicans get their wish and the borders are closed to the extent that children are being catapulted over an enormous wall and back into Mexico. Then the ones we've taught about Jesus Christ are being sent back to Mexico as native speaking missionaries to their own people. Oh look, the Kingdom of Jesus Christ wins again.

So I try to cast each and every issue in terms where the Kingdom of Jesus Christ wins.
                                That helps with the depression and ugliness.
                                That means no matter what happens I still have a role to fulfill.
                                That means you can be a part of 'win' every. single. day.

Comment