Announcement

Collapse

Animal Husbandry 101 Guidelines

Greetings Animal Lovers!

Welcome to Animal Husbandry 101, this is the place for all things animal.

Did you get a new pet? Tell us about it.Do you have a question about pet care? Ask it here. Are you thinking about getting a pet? Let us know.

There are a great many animal lovers at Tweb anxious to hear about and join in the fun.

In addition to the regular set of rules called the DECORUM, others rules will be enforced here as well.

1) Please keep all pets on a leash.
2) Please clean up after those pets that aren't quite paper trained.
3) Gerbils are not good pets. It's a long story

Thank you and let the games begin.
See more
See less

Cat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cat.

My nine year old cat, I clipped his nails. They were long and very healthy as in not shedding at all, beautifully clear, but he would accidentally scratch the kids while playing with them and kneading me so I bought clippers. They are still gorgeous as I have him on a near all protein diet since cats are obligate carnivores. I need some cat grass but that will come later. He had a bath for the first time in a year and a 1/2 no fleas just a lot of mats fur and dander and he was so patient just acted kind of like a little dog who hates baths. We gave him some meat treats and now he has a silky soft coat and he's totally forgiven me. Maine Coons and the mixes are special. He follows me everywhere like a puppy dog. Has anyone else ever experienced a special cat like this?
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

Maine Coon! I wish I could own one! But I fear the Mojave summers would not be good for it. Your cat is special all right...allowing his nails to be clipped like that...
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

He's either a 1/4 or 1/2 I'm not sure. He's quite large, and can stand approximately 3.5 feet. He has the tuff's of fur and is very calm, he also has the well known lion like Mane although its shorter than most Maine Coon's because he's a mixed cat. His eyes are golden, and he has the typically long body. He likes to drink out of our cups and bowls and won't drink from anything else. I'm amazed how easily he can jump and as usual with most Maine Coons he's a great mouser (one paw and the mouse is paralyzed and prey) but has yet to scratch or draw blood intentionally. He is treat trained. That is I can get him to do anything for a treat jump any where, give a "high five" sit down or get him on or off counters. And he does follow me around. His other favorite treat is lunch meat but he'll dig in the trash without it spilling for a can of Tuna Fish. And he likes to sit at the table while we eat. If we leave any left overs out, he eats them. But that's the Coon cat in him. Even in the Mojave they can survive, as cats are supposed to be kept indoors now, dangers to cats in the Mojave include hawks, rattle snakes and mountain lions. Buddy's been indoors all of his life and we let him counter cruise, he has two cat trees, shelves, and sits peacefully on the back of the couch. Oh he plays fetch, loves feather toys, and of course toys with mouses on the ends. It might be the perfect cat if you are retired and willing to invest the time in it.
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

My daughter had a Maine Coon. Beautiful, but not nearly as nicely tempered as yours. They had to have the vet trim his claws and help with his mats as he wouldn't tolerate much from his people in that regard.

He was huge! They had to put him down about 3 years ago.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

My Lilypad, the fearless and stupid. She got out yesterday and walked straight up to Chocolate, my very large to her and very not used to cats dog! No harm was done but like your cat, there's precious little I can't do with her. Unlike Love, who is also a great cat, Lilypad can't ride my shoulders but few cats learn that trick.

Dave, who died unexpectedly at age seven, might as well have been a dog. I should have taught him to fetch - I think that was the only difference!
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
            My Lilypad, the fearless and stupid. She got out yesterday and walked straight up to Chocolate, my very large to her and very not used to cats dog! No harm was done but like your cat, there's precious little I can't do with her. Unlike Love, who is also a great cat, Lilypad can't ride my shoulders but few cats learn that trick.

Dave, who died unexpectedly at age seven, might as well have been a dog. I should have taught him to fetch - I think that was the only difference!
            I never taught him, he was the instigator. I threw it, he wasn't done, and brought it back, like a dog.......... I think he still believes he's a dog. I wouldn't EVER let him ride my shoulder that would be 17 lbs of coon cat muscle owww. He was bigger than my babies until they were one at least.
            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Every Siamese we've had has been a fetcher.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X