Announcement

Collapse

Economics 301 Guidelines

This is the area where economic theories and trends are discussed.

Balance your checkbook before participating.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Social Capitalist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Social Capitalist

In this, the "The Social Capitalist" thread, as a "Skip" (white, anglo-saxon-irish christian heritage, 5th generation Australian) I am constrained by the Oz circumstance as a social model. I would prefer to expand my mindset by concentrating on the perspective of emerging economies. From an Oz perspective, Malaysia & Indonesia are important neighbours. So my first thoughts are directed towards their circumstance, but China, India and elsewhere are, imo, also worth consideration.

I need "on the ground" input...

Tell me about your circumstance - especially the economics & societal constraints of where you live... The availability of macro and/or micro finance...and whatever you think worth mentioning to improve your "standard of living"...

nb: The idea of a "standard of living" (SoL) is highly subjective. For the purpose of this discussion I suggest we exclude all consumerables that we as a collective society could realistically live without. I think the internet is a useful societal tool (eg: access to education in remote communities) so I'd include it as an essential in formulating a SoL benchmark. Mobile phones (?).
    --------------------

Quick background: For decades I have been asked what my economic pursuasian was. Whether my thoughts gravitate to the extreme left, left, middle-left, middle, middle-right, right or extreme right.

My reality is that I don't subscribe to any of these pdgeon holes, so at some stage, so long ago it is lost from memory, I hit on the idea of the "Social Capitalist". To me, this loosely translates into the Oz concept of "the Commonwealth" which translates as "the national wealth in common" which loosely translates as "betterment of the individual" or more precisely egalitarianism at a social level (but not necessarily at an economic level).

In the Oz model, consitutionally, govt (both federal & state) are obligated to provide equality in the provision of "essential services" (eg: education, health & defense) to all legal residents of the nation. Through a system of tiered taxation this obligation is extended to individuals with surplus discretionary income.

That basically outlines my core precepts...
    Last edited by elam; 03-01-2017, 07:32 AM.

I've just been watching "Lateline" on the Oz "ABC" which editorialised a pilot program in Brisbane for the housing of homeless people.

There is irony in this idea!

In Oz, because of our generous social welfare programmes, there is no financial justification for homelessness!

With few exceptions, the "homeless" have non-economic issues that need to be addressed. It is that focus that housing the homeless pilot is addressing through 24hr, free access to services needed by these people.(counseling etc).

What fascinated me was the estimate that "homeless persons" cost the nation about AU$47,000 pa per person in auxiliary services (sanitation, garbage collection, police, court costs, legal aid, drug & alcohol counselling, ambulance services, hospitalisation etc etc). What has been discovered so far: there is a definite net cost saving to society by putting money upfront to directly confront the issues that entrench these people in their lifestyle.

Of course, this idea won't rid the streets of the "homeless". For instance: when I was a kid there was a infamous, well educated, super intelligent millionairess who for whatever reason preferred to live on the streets here in Sydney. Ultimately , old age caught up with her and she was retired into the care of the Little Sisters of the Poor at their Randwick facility. I met her there sometime in the 1960s - she was as bright as a golden button!
    Last edited by elam; 03-01-2017, 09:32 AM.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X