Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

What Would The Christian Rather See?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Would The Christian Rather See?

For Christians:

If you had to choose between a world largely populated by atheists or one largely populated by Muslims - which one would you pick and why?

Piggybacking on What Would The Atheist Rather See?
    Blog: Atheism and the City

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Muslims by a hair since I could still worship Christ freely but in both scenarios it would be a great time to catalogue the many benefits of suicide.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Same problem, which Muslims and which secularists.

If we're talking danish secularism? Sure, that's fairly pleasant, plus Danes love talking about Christianity, they just don't believe in it.

Comment

Muslim.
        With Muslims there would be a set of rules and a logically consistent world view.
        Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by The Thinker View Post
          ......... a world largely populated by atheists.......................
          Well...... it would help if you guys actually reproduced to begin with.

Comment

Atheist. That way guys like Lewis Chesterton and more will be made mainstream. It would make christians have to adapt. Films would stop being hackneyed, scientific error and misrepeesentation might find enemies in both believers and non, we cpuld learn and faith could grow.
            sigpic

Comment

Hmmm... christians have suffered under muslims and atheists. But I'd have to go with atheists by a long shot. I feel like I see less coercion in atheism.
              "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
              Hear my cry, hear my shout,
              Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
                Hmmm... christians have suffered under muslims and atheists. But I'd have to go with atheists by a long shot. I feel like I see less coercion in atheism.
                The ones with the power to coerce were far more oppressive than any religious group. Even in the West where atheists are relatively weak they oppress every change they get. That's why I'm betting on muslims. I know they can produce something resembling a tolerant civilization that doesn't quickly devolve into suicidally crazy. Atheists have yet to demonstrate that. Most likely western style atheists would quickly be slaughtered by the more militant and fanatical ones.
                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                  The ones with the power to coerce were far more oppressive than any religious group. Even in the West where atheists are relatively weak they oppress every change they get. That's why I'm betting on muslims. I know they can produce something resembling a tolerant civilization that doesn't quickly devolve into suicidally crazy. Atheists have yet to demonstrate that. Most likely western style atheists would quickly be slaughtered by the more militant and fanatical ones.
                  I'm with you on this one.
                  In the 20th century atheist societies murdered about 1 million people for every year of existence.
                  They make even the most backwards Muslim countries appear civilized.
                  Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

I can't think of any atheist terrorists off the top of my head other than possibly Timothy McVeigh. I know there's going to be a torrent of people saying "what about Stalin" but the Holodomor was not explicitly inspired by atheists the same way Islamic terrorism is.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

If we mean secularist vs Islamic, then I go secularist. I would take the best modern secular society (Japan), over the best modern Islamic society (Jordan? Malaysia? Dubai?). I would probably take the next ten best secular societies over the best Islamic ones. The Nordic countries, Iceland, Western Europe, etc.

If we mean pointedly atheistic societies, the nearest we get is modern China. I take China over the Islamic societies too.

If we go worst against worst--the worst modern pointedly atheistic society(North Korea) vs. The worst Islamic society, isis, I think I'd rather be beheaded than work myself to death in a work camp.

If I was in a room with osama, hitler, and Toby, and I had a gun with two bullets, I'd shoot Toby twice.

Fwiw
                      Guacamole
                      Save me, save me"

Comment

If we mean pointedly atheistic societies, the nearest we get is modern China.
                        Guacamole
                        The government's stance doesn't really have much of effect on your average Chinese villager. FWIW, the church is absolutely booming in China. Scandanavia may be a better example.
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                          The government's stance doesn't really have much of effect on your average Chinese villager. FWIW, the church is absolutely booming in China. Scandanavia may be a better example.
                          I would take Scandinavia easy over most places. Maybe even Japan.
                          Save me, save me"

Comment

I would take Scandinavia easy over most places. Maybe even Japan.
                            For the metal, right?
                            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

If we mean secularist vs Islamic, then I go secularist.
                              Why? If we'd allow Islam to thrive in its purity rather than cause conflict through "oil greed" then Islam has the potential to return to its "golden age" when it lead the world in science, mathematics, medicine & formalised education.

I think you are mired in confusion with the western imposed situation in the middle east, which only contains 20% of the 1,8 billion Muslims distributed throughout the world.

In the absence of Christianity, or for that matter Judaism, at the least, Islam maintains the ethics & morality common to the three Abrahamic religions which has allowed western society to prosper.

I would take the best modern secular society (Japan)
                              So you want the world economy to collapse! Japan has so many social properties that it has taken numerous book to document them. It is a complete economic & social basket case. Japanese academics openly admit it!

over the best modern Islamic society (Jordan? Malaysia? Dubai?).
                              Why haven't you considered Indonesia? Is it because, according to USA data, Indonesia is the 3rd largest democracy in the world and the largest Muslim nation in the world?

I would probably take the next ten best secular societies over the best Islamic ones. The Nordic countries, Iceland, Western Europe, etc.
                              Have a look at the UN stats! You might then reappraise...

If we mean pointedly atheistic societies, the nearest we get is modern China. I take China over the Islamic societies too.
                              China is a possibility but it is far from an atheistic nation! Which is why its govt has the occasional purges to suppress discent...

What about Russia. These days, with the re-emerge ROC, Putin is claiming Russian is now the last Christian nation on earth. If so then secularism already dominates the globe!

In Russia, I imagine, for demographic & geographic reasons, that Islam would fill the gap should Christianity fade away...

If we go worst against worst--the worst modern pointedly atheistic society(North Korea) vs. The worst Islamic society, isis, I think I'd rather be beheaded than work myself to death in a work camp.
                              Skip the beheading. Grow a beard, give up booze & tabacco, attend Mosque, pray five times a day and under ISIS you might be OK. As a male ISIS does provide benefits, but thinking about the number of mother-in-laws one might accumulate under ISIS, I just might opt for North Korea as a better option :-{

Question: Why are agnostics excluded from the available options?
                              Last edited by elam; 03-02-2017, 01:28 AM.

Comment