Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

What Would The Christian Rather See?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    I see you don't know the definition of "worldview".
    You don't. Atheism is not a worldview. Naturalism is a worldview. Every educated person recognizes this.
    Blog: Atheism and the City

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
      Don't you see the irony in this statement?
      There's no irony here.

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
        Atheism is not "a" worldview. It is a particular element of a great many disparate worldviews.
        You seem to get it. Naturalism is a worldview. Atheism is not. Atheism is one part of naturalism. Although technically not all atheists are naturalists.

Comment

Originally posted by The Thinker View Post
          You seem to get it. Naturalism is a worldview. Atheism is not. Atheism is one part of naturalism. Although technically not all atheists are naturalists.
          I know quite a number of atheists who are not Naturalists. And my own worldview tends to differ greatly from that of most American atheists.
          Last edited by Boxing Pythagoras; 03-02-2017, 11:47 AM.
          "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
          --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

I know quite a number of atheists who are not Naturalists.
            What would an atheist be besides a Naturalist? What other option is there?
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Atheism is not "a" worldview. It is a particular element of a great many disparate worldviews.
              Care to demonstrate this? What "disparate worldviews" include atheism in such a way that atheistic beliefs are not fundamental to that worldview?

(And don't give me any of that "Atheists don't have beliefs, they have a lack of belief" bull, because that's a cop-out, and every atheist knows it.)
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                That's a good question. I suppose someone could believe that the supernatural exists but reject the idea that a god exists, although I really don't see how such a position would be tenable.

Comment

That's a good question. I suppose someone could believe that the supernatural exists but reject the idea that a god exists, although I really don't see how such a position would be tenable.
                  I've found that atheists are divided on this. Some atheists will say that atheism accepts the supernatural with the exception of a divine creator, some, like American Atheists, the organization founded by Madalyn Murray O'Hair, are adamant that, "The only common thread that ties all atheists together is a lack of belief in gods and supernatural beings."

Comment

Originally posted by The Stinker View Post
                    Atheism is not a worldview. Naturalism is a worldview.
                    They are both worldviews.

I find it genuinely fascinating that many atheists are apparently so uncertain of their own beliefs that they put a considerable amount of effort into explaining why they shouldn't have to defend them.

Comment

Care to demonstrate this? What "disparate worldviews" include atheism in such a way that atheistic beliefs are not fundamental to that worldview?
                      I didn't say that atheism isn't "fundamental" to worldviews which have it as an element. I said that there exist numerous worldviews which are different despite sharing atheism in common. Atheistic Buddhism presents a very different worldview than does atheistic Humanism, which is-- in turn-- very dissimilar to atheistic Taoism, which shares very little in common with atheistic Heathenry. And none of these has much in common with atheistic Nihilism.

(And don't give me any of that "Atheists don't have beliefs, they have a lack of belief" bull, because that's a cop-out, and every atheist knows it.)
                      Atheists certainly have beliefs. I don't think anyone would argue otherwise. Some of us do, however, note that "atheism" is not a belief, but rather a lack of belief.
                      "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."

Comment

Some of us do, however, note that "atheism" is not a belief, but rather a lack of belief.

Comment

I didn't say that atheism isn't "fundamental" to worldviews which have it as an element. I said that there exist numerous worldviews which are different despite sharing atheism in common. Atheistic Buddhism presents a very different worldview than does atheistic Humanism, which is-- in turn-- very dissimilar to atheistic Taoism, which shares very little in common with atheistic Heathenry. And none of these has much in common with atheistic Nihilism.
                          I don't see how any of that contradicts the idea that atheism is a worldview in and of itself. You might almost say that your list represents different denominations of atheism.

Comment

I don't see how any of that contradicts the idea that atheism is a worldview in and of itself.
                            That's cool. I don't see how atheism is a worldview.

You might almost say that your list represents different denominations of atheism.
                            Only if you might similarly claim that the sky, a pair of jeans, and a robin's egg are different denominations of blueness.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                              An atheist could believe in ghosts. Ghosts aren't gods, just spirits, and so one who rejects a belief in gods yet who believes in ghosts could technically still call themselves an atheist.

Comment

That's cool. I don't see how atheism is a worldview.

Only if you might similarly claim that the sky, a pair of jeans, and a robin's egg are different denominations of blueness.
                                Atheist philosophers like Alex Rosenberg are perfectly fine with thinking of atheism as a worldview. It's no less a worldview than theism is, or are you of the opinion that theism is not a worldview either?

Comment