Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Chanting Trump Hate Speech?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chanting Trump Hate Speech?

My goodness...

Canton Students’ ‘Trump’ Chant Against Hartford Basketball Team Draws Criticism

"While students' right to free speech and forming educated opinions about politics and current events is a cornerstone of our educational system, the exact point where political opinion converges with disrespect, discrimination or hate speech must be separated," Canton High Principal Andrew DiPippo wrote in a letter to families Wednesday.

"We have a reputation as a welcoming community and these students crossed this line with their comments and have damaged our reputation," DiPippo continued. "As principal, I am disheartened that our message of community has not resonated with all students."
    http://www.courant.com/community/can...301-story.html
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Why were they chanting 'Trump'? That part seems a bit weird.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
      My understanding is there have been a number of high schools where it's been done, but only when their team is playing against predominantly minority schools. It's apparently become a "thing".

The most likely way to make sense of it as a taunt would seem to be implying that the players on the other team would be deported.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Wow...
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

It was an important game, I think they were trying to get the other team off their game. This BTW happened in a town near me. It is a big deal here...
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            My understanding is there have been a number of high schools where it's been done, but only when their team is playing against predominantly minority schools. It's apparently become a "thing".

The most likely way to make sense of it as a taunt would seem to be implying that the players on the other team would be deported.
            That's definitely not cool. That actually does come off as rather personally threatening. As well as xenophobic.

Comment

That's definitely not cool. That actually does come off as rather personally threatening. As well as xenophobic.
              It's common in the US for high school students to heavily buy into stereotypes about their own school and for others, and for this to come up in the context of sports. My high school was the druggie school. The one across town was the ghetto school. The one to our north was the rich snobs. And so on...
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment