Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

John 3:5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    being born of water refers to natural birth. you know, a mother's womb is full of water. Jesus is contrasting being born of woman (water) to being born again of the Holy Spirit.
    If that be so, it would seem self evident that a human who had not been born of water would not be able to be born of the spirit, nor be able to enter heaven ... he wouldn't exist.
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
      If that be so, it would seem self evident that a human who had not been born of water would not be able to be born of the spirit, nor be able to enter heaven ... he wouldn't exist.
      yeah if you never existed you cant be saved.

Jesus' point is that you cant be enter heaven unless you have been born of the spirit. "3 Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again"

then he goes on to explain what he means by born again, by first referencing regular birth and then explaining he is not talking of that birth but birth of a new spirit, the holy spirit

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        being born of water refers to natural birth. you know, a mother's womb is full of water. Jesus is contrasting being born of woman (water) to being born again of the Holy Spirit.
        Only from the concepts of a complete moron! And someone absolutely obscured from the actual teachings of Jesus Christ!!!

Comment

Originally posted by elam View Post
          Only from the concepts of a complete moron! And someone absolutely obscured from the actual teachings of Jesus Christ!!!
          what do you disagree with? be specific.

Comment

I've heard the natural birth interpretation of "water" and used to believe it, but considering how frequently the Holy Spirit is compared to water (in both OT and NT), I think my view is better. Also, even though there is water in the womb, I don't see why Jesus would use that as an expression if he just meant natural birth. It seems like he would say "born of flesh" or something (the very phrase that he uses in the next verse).

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
              Also, even though there is water in the womb, I don't see why Jesus would use that as an expression if he just meant natural birth.
              No doubt it was a common expression back then.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                No doubt it was a common expression back then.
                The use of "born of water" as referring to the water of the womb has no known precedent. It is not found in Hebrew, not in Aramaic, not in Koine Greek
                Last edited by KingsGambit; 03-05-2017, 05:21 PM. Reason: oops
                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                  The use of "born of water" as referring to the water of the womb has no known precedent. It is not found in Hebrew, not in Aramaic, not in Koine Greek
                  Interesting. Thanks for the clarification, then.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

On the face of it, it seems to be a reference to baptism.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I think all of Jesus's terminology in that chapter is derived from the Old Testament. Obviously there is the bronze serpent story from Numbers 21. When he refers to the "son of man who is in heaven," he is referring to Daniel 7 where a son of man appears in heaven. The wrath of God is referenced in Jeremiah 25, and other places. When he refers to the kingdom of God, he is talking about Isaiah 33 and/or Daniel 2. When he mentions being born of water, I think he is referring to Isaiah 35, where it is obvious that the water is not literal. He gets annoyed with Nicodemus for not knowing what he is talking about because Nicodemus is an important teacher and yet he doesn't even know these Bible references. The water is not talking about baptism because baptism is not mentioned in the Old Testament. Also, baptism doesn't really cause you to be born, anyway. It symbolically causes you to die.

Comment

Also, this verse wouldn't make much sense if he were referring to baptism, because baptism is a visible event whereas birth by the Spirit is supposed to be invisible.

John 3:8
                        The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
                          The water is not talking about baptism because baptism is not mentioned in the Old Testament. Also, baptism doesn't really cause you to be born, anyway. It symbolically causes you to die.
                          I am not sure it's relevant to the passage, but it was my understanding that there was some form of Baptism in 2nd Temple Judaism...? I don't remember the details though.
                          We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore on Christ's behalf: 'Be reconciled to God!!'
                          - 2 Corinthians 5:20.
                          In deviantArt: ll-bisto-ll.deviantart.com
                          Christian art and more: Christians.deviantart.com

Comment

Comments from Craig Keener in the IVP Bible Background Commentary:
                            Matt.

3:5–6. Pagans wanting to convert to Judaism would repent and be baptized, but John here treats Jewish people on the same terms as pagans (see further comment on Mk 1:4–5.)

3:11. ...The prophets had predicted the outpouring of God’s Spirit 7 on the righteous at the time when God established his kingdom for Israel (Is 44:3; Ezek 39:29; Joel 2:28). They also decreed fire upon the wicked (Is 26:11; 65:15; 66:24; Jer 4:4; 15:14; etc.). In Matthew 3:11, the wicked are baptized, or immersed, in fire (3:10, 12), the righteous in the Holy 8 Spirit.

3:12. Because the same Greek word can mean both “spirit” and “wind,” the picture of wind and fire carries over from 3:11. Winnowing was familiar to all Palestinian Jews, especially to the farmers: they would throw harvested wheat into the air, and the wind would separate the heavier grain from the lighter chaff. The chaff was useless for consumption and was normally burned. Some other writers also described the day of judgment as a harvest (4 Ezra 4:30–32; cf. Jer 51:33; Joel 3:12–14) or the wicked as chaff (Is 17:13; Jer 13:24; 15:7; etc.). That the fire is “unquenchable” points beyond the momentary burning of chaff to something far more horrible (Is 66:24), in spite of the fact that Jewish tradition itself was far from unanimous concerning the duration of hell

Mark

1:4–5. Like many other ancient peoples, Jewish people practiced ceremonial washings. Their only once-for-all ceremonial washing, however, was the immersion that non-Jews had to go through when they converted to Judaism. Non-Jews who were converting to Judaism would immerse themselves in water, probably under the supervision of a religious expert. John’s baptizing activity fits this model.

John

3:3–4. Jesus speaks literally of being born “from above,” which means “from God” (“above” was a Jewish circumlocution, or roundabout expression, for God). One could also construe the phrase as meaning “reborn,” which Nicodemus takes literally. (Ancient writers, including those of the Old Testament— Jer 1:11–12; Mic 1:10–15 —often used plays on words, and John includes quite a few other puns; they also sometimes used other characters as less intelligent foils for a narrative’s main spokesperson.) Because Jewish teachers spoke of Gentile converts to Judaism as starting life anew like “newborn children” (just as adopted sons under Roman law relinquished all legal status in their former family when they became part of a new one), Nicodemus should have understood that Jesus meant conversion; but it never occurs to him that someone Jewish would need to convert to the true faith of Israel.

3:5. Converts to Judaism were said to become “as newborn children” when they were baptized to remove Gentile impurity. “Born of water” thus clarifies for Nicodemus that “born from above” means conversion, not a second physical birth.
                            The Greek wording of 3:5 can mean either “water and the Spirit ” or “water, that is, the Spirit.” Ezekiel 36:24–27 used water symbolically for the cleansing of the Spirit (cf. especially the Dead Sea Scrolls), so here Jesus could mean “converted by the Spirit” (cf. 7:37–39)—a spiritual proselyte baptism. Whereas Jewish teachers generally spoke of converts to Judaism as “newborn” only in the sense that they were legally severed from old relationships, an actual rebirth by the Spirit would produce a new heart (Ezek 36:26).

3:6–7. The “spirit” that is born from God’s Spirit may reflect the “new spirit” of Ezekiel 36:26.
                            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                              Comments from Craig Keener in the IVP Bible Background Commentary:
                              The commentary there matches what I know, and goes beyond what I knew. Overall it seems to hold water, so I'll make a point of investigating the book and see if it has any more gems.
                              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Baptism certainly makes more sense than the water representing the Spirit. Otherwise Jesus is just repeating himself by saying born of water (Spirit) and the Spirit.

And Keener points out what I remember to be true...i.e. that Gentile converts to Judaism in the 2nd temple Judaism underwent Mikvah (baptism/ritual bathing) as part of the conversion process.
                                "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment