Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Pastor Bruce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pastor Bruce

He's 59. I would have guessed he was a lot older. He's very educated, and very smart.

He's the pastor of a Bible Church, and a friend of mine. In about 2 years, he'll no longer be able to walk, and probably not be able to breathe.
    He knows this - I've seen him go from a healthy active man a few years ago, to a stooped-over older seeming man shuffling around on a walker.

He still preaches, and his congregation loves and supports him. I can't pronounce - let alone spell - the disease that's destroying him, but it's similar to Lou Gherig's, but on steroids. And his own immune system is attacking his nervous system.

I pick him up the first Thursday of every month for our Rebel Alliance pastor meeting, and I notice each time he has more difficulty getting in and out of my mountaineer, even with it's magic automatic fold-down running boards. Yesterday was painful to watch. But he keeps on. He keeps trusting and praising God. He tells some of the best preacher jokes (most of which I've heard, but I let him tell them anyway).

When I have an ache or pain, or hear somebody else complaining about their health issues - I think of Pastor Bruce. He reportedly preaches with a little more urgency, since he knows in a year or two his preaching will be done.

It makes me look at ministry in a whole new way.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Reminds me of my great grandfather. He was so happy despite his anguish and pain because in the Lord he had grounding and purpose. Men like him and Bruce are strong in their weaknesses.
    sigpic

Comment

A couple days ago, I got a call from Doctor* Bruce.

He was in very good spirits, and was laughing, and said, "I just got a visit from a very pretty young nurse!"
      I laughed, and asked, "Does she have long red hair"?
      Dr Bruce laughed even harder, even coughing, and said, "Yes, as a matter of fact she does!!!"

I knew he was talking about my daughter. My hospice nurse daughter. Which means, Dr Bruce is now officially in hospice.

She had asked me previously about "your pastor friend who's dying", and hinted that he might become a client of her office. She did NOT know he would become her very own patient.

We talked a few minutes, then I suggested we get together again soon for lunch. Another Pastor friend and I take lunch to his house at least once a month, and we sit and talk for a couple hours.

Normally, this has to be done around his various doctor visits, so I asked, "When would be a good time next week that doesn't interfere with doctor appointments".

He laughed again, and said, "I don't go to no stinkin doctor visits anymore -- THEY COME TO ME!!!!"

He is looking forward to being with Jesus soon, but is 'redeeming the time'.

*he's a published PhD
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

So, Pastor Jon and I stopped by to see Bruce today. I picked up burgers, and we had a great time of fellowship. His book is selling well, and his attitude remains fantastic.

The Pastor that is replacing Bruce - that Pastor's wife stopped by to check on Bruce. It was a pleasure to meet her. She came in while Bruce and I were discussing the fact that my daughter had been married to a man (Sheriff's Deputy) who died of pancreatic cancer (I wrote about that elsewhere) and that I had performed both their wedding and his 'cop funeral'. She told me that her husband had also been a police officer and police chaplain. Who knew!!!

All in all, a great visit.

Comment

Interesting - I forgot about this thread.

Pastor Bruce "died with Grace", and was a testimony to all who ministered to him medically.

It's kinda funny - for WEEKS after he was gone, we'd be "talking theology", and I'd say "lemme text Bruce about ....."

Comment

If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

I'm sorry to hear of your (very temporary) loss.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                I'm sorry to hear of your (very temporary) loss.
                It's one of those cases where he was "dying with grace", yet every day was a challenge.
                He is the first person from whom I heard the phrase "air hunger" - that feeling like you might pass out if you don't get some more air, in spite of being on oxygen...

He taught one of our adult Sunday School classes by Zoom, literally, until he no longer had the breath it takes to teach.

A real testimony of "leaving it all on the field".

Comment

Is this the same Dr. Bruce whose class I watched on Zoom about two years ago until my own church started up Sunday School again? I know that one passed away not too long ago.
                  When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
                    Is this the same Dr. Bruce whose class I watched on Zoom about two years ago until my own church started up Sunday School again? I know that one passed away not too long ago.
                    It is, indeed. He was part of our ministerial "rebel alliance".

Comment