Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Do it Again, Lord...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do it Again, Lord...

I have been in two "honest to goodness Holy Ghost revivals". Once in the early 70's and one in the early 90's.

I always seem to have to explain my term "honest to goodness Holy Ghost revivals", so lemme do that. It's when it's very obvious that the Holy Spirit of the Living God is at work, and it's not the manipulation of a powerful preacher, or a scheduled meeting, or a concerted effort by a group to "be spiritual".

I have likened it to preparing an operating room for a world famous surgeon. Much preparation takes place before he arrives. The surgery suite is planned and constructed, equipped with the best technology, staffed with the most dedicated and able people, cleaned and prepared - even sanitized - in preparation for his arrival. Once ready, there's nothing else to do but to wait for him, and do as he says.

It reminds me of a story of Reagan's assassination attempt in 1981. The surgeon who was to perform the actual surgery arrived to a room full of people tending to the President - doctors, nurses, staff - it was organized chaos.... and the surgeon, as he burst into the room, called out "who's in charge here?" And almost in unison, the people responded, "YOU are, sir!"

Before each of the HTGHGR's I've experienced, I noticed some signs. The first one in the 70's, I noticed these "signs" in retrospect, after having experienced the second one in the early 90's.

People, individually and separately, tell me "God is speaking to me like He's never spoken to me before", or "God is speaking to me like He hasn't spoken to me in a long long time", or "the Holy Spirit is bringing to mind things for which I need to ask forgiveness", or "I just can't stay out of my Bible".

These things have been happening the last couple months. Last Tuesday, an older lady who has been visiting out Church came to visit me at my office. She is the widow of a Lutheran Pastor who had served the Lord for over 45 years. She had been visiting on and off for the past couple years - a tall gracious lady with long silvery hair and a kindly disposition. She sat in my office and shared her testimony. She asked some questions about the Church. There was some small talk, and I thought we were "wrapping things up".

Then she took a breath, and said, "Pastor -- the reason I asked to meet with you...."

She was quiet for a minute, then she said, "I think this is the place".

I asked, "the place?"

She explained that she had been in an honest to goodness holy ghost revival (like she's heard me talk about) when she was younger, and she longed so much to experience that again. She said that she felt like the Lord was "at work", and that the Holy Spirit "has set this place apart to meet with His people". I honestly got goose bumps. She didn't seem like a "spiritual weirdo" (I've dealt with a lot of those) but she very calmly explained that she believed God was at work, and she was encouraging me to "stay the course" and "continue to be faithful".

When she was ready to leave, I suggested we pray, and I led. Then she picked up and closed. She thanked the Lord for so many things He has done in her life, and in the life of her deceased Pastor husband, then she thanked the Lord for our Church, for me, and for 'the coming revival'. And she closed her prayer by whispering "Do it again, Lord... do it again, please".

wow
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Just goes to remind us that not only are Holy Ghost Revivals awesome to experience...but Holy Ghost led prayers are as well...
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment