Announcement

Collapse

Anthropology 201 Guidelines

Anthropology is the study of groups of people, their beliefs, practices, values, ideas, technologies, languages, economies and more.

All are welcome to post in this section, even Geico Cavemen.

A couple of caveats-- (1) racism has no place in this forum, and (2) please show a little discretion. In other words, if an attachment violates policy on the rest of TWEB, it violates policy in this forum as well, even if it depicts a highly interesting and unique aspect of some obscure culture. Keep it reasonably clean, folks.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Facts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facts

"Providing people with accurate information doesn’t seem to help; they simply discount it. Appealing to [people's] emotions may work better, but doing so is obviously antithetical to the goal of promoting sound science."

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...ange-our-minds

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
    "Providing people with accurate information doesn’t seem to help; they simply discount it. Appealing to [people's] emotions may work better, but doing so is obviously antithetical to the goal of promoting sound science."

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...ange-our-minds
    Great article!!! Well worth the read.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Evidence clearly demonstrates that the motivation of human 'sense of belonging' and 'sense of identity' with a belief system takes priority over objective verifiable evidence, 'accurate information,' and results in a selective biased interpretation of what 'facts' are. This greatly influences relationships with those who believe differently, and science.
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

This reminds me of a saying, "My mind is made up, do not confuse me with the facts." It brings up the issue, as to how willing one is to change one's own view. And as a person does one really want to believe what is really true?

It is easy to claim for oneself, to one's self, that one is going to actually believe what is actually true. We may think we do, but do we? Those who disagree with us, may see in us that is not really the case.
        . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
          This reminds me of a saying, "My mind is made up, do not confuse me with the facts." It brings up the issue, as to how willing one is to change one's own view. And as a person does one really want to believe what is really true?

It is easy to claim for oneself, to one's self, that one is going to actually believe what is actually true. We may think we do, but do we? Those who disagree with us, may see in us that is not really the case.
          It is rare that anyone claims only to one's self 'that one is going to actually believe what is actually true,' This is where the priority of one's sense of belonging and sense of being to the group, particularly how we are raised represents the dominant influence as to what we believe.

Frank

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X