Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Do the laws of the universe exist under materialism?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    First, by meaning 'evolved' refers to changes in the human scientific Laws of Nature, and the Theories of science, which are not the same today as they were in times of Newton. Over time the scientific Laws of Nature become more accurate approximations of the ultimate Laws of Nature.

Yes, the ultimate Laws of Nature would exist regardless of whether or not what they describe exists or not. I do believe our physical existence is eternal and has always existed as well as the ultimate Laws of Nature.
    Why, why do you believe that the laws themselves exist in their own right?

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
      Others have already said as much, but I'll throw in my two cents, here.

The phrase "laws of the universe" refers to human-language descriptions of observed behaviors within the universe. So, these descriptions don't have physical existence (beyond the physical configurations of the brains conceiving them, if mind-body duality is not true). However, if you are asking whether the behaviors which they describe exist, that seems patently obvious. For example, in this case, to ask if Gravity exists is akin to asking if massive bodies are actually attracted to one another in the real world. The answer to that seems to be "yes."

I'm not sure I understand you, here. If the physical laws exist independently in a Platonic sense, then they do exist independently of mind. If you are a Platonist, and mathematics exists in such a sense, then the mathematical descriptions of physical laws exist in such a sense.
      Well the behaviors exist certainly. But why do they exist? Is there some observable physical property that allow (or force?) them to do as they do consistently? Or is it something else?
      -The universe begins to look more like a great thought than a great machine.
      Sir James Jeans

-This most beautiful system (The Universe) could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.All variety of created objects which represent order and Life in the Universe could happen only by the willful reasoning of its original Creator, whom I call the Lord God.
      Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

Originally posted by Quantum Weirdness View Post
        Well the behaviors exist certainly. But why do they exist? Is there some observable physical property that allow (or force?) them to do as they do consistently? Or is it something else?
        It would seem that way, at least for some. Using my previous example of Gravity, the behavior which we observe is due to the curvature of spacetime-- or, to be more precise, the curvature of spacetime is the behavior which we observe.
        "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
        --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

I am including these two posts together, because they both ask the question 'why?.' One from an agnostic/atheist perspective, and the other a Theist perspective.

Originally posted by JimL
          Why, why do you believe that the laws themselves exist in their own right?
          The question 'why?' and 'is there something else?' are philosophical/theological questions, and science does not, and honestly cannot answer the question. The objective evidence does not address anthropomorphic relationships of what may be 'allowed' or 'forced' concerning the relationship between Laws of Nature and the physical nature of our existence, ie the existence of matter and energy in various forms. Science deals with the matter of fact existence of matter and energy, and the Laws of Nature. I like Boxing Pythagoras's answer, and not much else can be said.

Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras
          Others have already said as much, but I'll throw in my two cents, here.

The phrase "laws of the universe" refers to human-language descriptions of observed behaviors within the universe. So, these descriptions don't have physical existence (beyond the physical configurations of the brains conceiving them, if mind-body duality is not true). However, if you are asking whether the behaviors which they describe exist, that seems patently obvious. For example, in this case, to ask if Gravity exists is akin to asking if massive bodies are actually attracted to one another in the real world. The answer to that seems to be "yes."

I'm not sure I understand you, here. If the physical laws exist independently in a Platonic sense, then they do exist independently of mind. If you are a Platonist, and mathematics exists in such a sense, then the mathematical descriptions of physical laws exist in such a sense.
          Last edited by shunyadragon; 03-10-2017, 07:29 AM.
          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

It would seem that way, at least for some. Using my previous example of Gravity, the behavior which we observe is due to the curvature of spacetime-- or, to be more precise, the curvature of spacetime is the behavior which we observe.
            Ok. So these properties have meanings independent of mind? Or is nominalism true w.r.t. these properties' meanings? Or are the properties their respective meanings themselves? (i.e the curvature of space-time that we observe is the meaning of the curvature of space time.)
            Sir James Jeans

-This most beautiful system (The Universe) could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.All variety of created objects which represent order and Life in the Universe could happen only by the willful reasoning of its original Creator, whom I call the Lord God.
            Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

Ok. So these properties have meanings independent of mind? Or is nominalism true w.r.t. these properties' meanings? Or are the properties their respective meanings themselves? (i.e the curvature of space-time that we observe is the meaning of the curvature of space time.)
              That which is being described exists independently of the description. The curvature of spacetime exists, whether or not it is described by a mind as "the curvature of spacetime."
              "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."

Comment

It sounds as though some of you think truth exists independent of opinions.
                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                  It sounds as though some of you think truth exists independent of [human] opinions.
                  But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

The facts of the natural universe exist independent of opinions; there is no substantive evidence of anything else existing.
                    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

It sounds as though some of you think truth exists independent of [human] opinions.
                      Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                      The facts of the natural universe exist independent of opinions; there is no substantive evidence of anything else existing.
                      I apologize profusely. It never occurred to me that anyone would fail to see the obvious sarcasm of my post. But you two . . .
                      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I apologize profusely. It never occurred to me that anyone would fail to see the obvious sarcasm of my post. But you two . . .
                        Most definitely your sarcasm was not evident.The answer remains the same regardless. If it will make you happy consider my response the double sarcasm.

Frank

Comment

The question 'why?' and 'is there something else?' are philosophical/theological questions, and science does not, and honestly cannot answer the question. The objective evidence does not address anthropomorphic relationships of what may be 'allowed' or 'forced' concerning the relationship between Laws of Nature and the physical nature of our existence, ie the existence of matter and energy in various forms. Science deals with the matter of fact existence of matter and energy, and the Laws of Nature. I like Boxing Pythagoras's answer, and not much else can be said.
                          If what we call "laws of nature" are inherent to nature itself then they aren't really laws, they are just descriptive human language defining the inherent nature of a thing. If nature didn't exist, then neither would the so called laws, because of themselves, laws have no real existence. Put it this way, an atom doesn't say to itself, Oh its the law so I'd better act accordingly, it just does what it does, it follows its own nature, and we call that a law.

Comment

That which is being described exists independently of the description. The curvature of spacetime exists, whether or not it is described by a mind as "the curvature of spacetime."
                            Ok. But if it doesn't have meaning, then isn't it meaningless to talk about how things happened back then?
                            Sir James Jeans

Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humour, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."
                              “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Ok. But if it doesn't have meaning, then isn't it meaningless to talk about how things happened back then?
                                "Meaning" is a function of description. If a description is cogent, it is not meaningless.

Comment