Announcement

Collapse

World History 201 Guidelines

Welcome to World History 201.

Find out if Caesar crossed the Rubicon or threw a dollar across it.

This is the forum where world history, in general, can be discussed. Since the WH201, like the other fora in the World History department, is not limited to participation along lines of theology, all may post here.

Please keep the Campus Decorum in mind when posting here--while 'belief' restrictions are not in place, common decency is.

The Tweb rules are in force . . . we're watching you.
Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

How many Native Americans were directly killed by whites (and vice versa)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many Native Americans were directly killed by whites (and vice versa)?

I know the indigenous population of the Americas was decimated when European settlers came. But I've also heard that most of those deaths were due to disease. Does anyone know how many deaths were a direct result of combat/murder/massacres? What about the number of whites killed by Native Americans? I'm assuming the number of deaths from black/native combat is small compared to white/native combat, but maybe I'm wrong.
    Find my speling strange? I'm trying this out: Simplified Speling. Feel free to join me.

"Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure. It is for them alone to point out what we ought to do, as well as to determine what we shall do."-Jeremy Bentham

"We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question."-Orson Scott Card

Originally posted by stfoskey15 View Post
    I know the indigenous population of the Americas was decimated when European settlers came. But I've also heard that most of those deaths were due to disease. Does anyone know how many deaths were a direct result of combat/murder/massacres? What about the number of whites killed by Native Americans? I'm assuming the number of deaths from black/native combat is small compared to white/native combat, but maybe I'm wrong.
    Without any records no credible numbers can be ascertained just WAGs.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by stfoskey15 View Post
      Its hard to say. Their seems to be a high number related to small pox and other diseases, however at some point there is a high number due to refusal to convert to European religion/slavery. I need to look up the statistics or rather estimated statistics.
      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
        Its hard to say. Their seems to be a high number related to small pox and other diseases, however at some point there is a high number due to refusal to convert to European religion/slavery. I need to look up the statistics or rather estimated statistics.
        Considering that original population estimates vary wildly, the fact were covering several centuries, and casualty statistics weren't recorded any numbers are, as I said, going to be WAGs.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Not enough.
          Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
            Not enough.
            You're thinking of one in particular aren't you?

Comment

The traditional number is somewhere around 11 million, though there have been significant challenges to it in recent years.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Without any records no credible numbers can be ascertained just WAGs.
                Killing off the Buffalo led to death of thousands if not Native American alone. Ethnic cleansing and eviction from their tribal home lands as Jackson did in Florida led to the death of even more thousands.

The history of our relationship to the Native Americans preferred indirect methods like breaking existing treaties, providing small pox infected blankets, and destruction of resources, but some slaughter did in reality occur when confronted with resistance.
                Last edited by shunyadragon; 03-05-2017, 08:09 PM.
                Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

I know the 18th century or the Trail of tears would have the best estimate for the Cherokee Tribe. However Smallpox and other diseases would be especially hard to estimate on the Taino and Arawak tribes. Aztec tribes seem to have gone extinct by intermarrying and death however some small pockets of Mayan Natives appear to exist in small pockets especially in the Mountains of Mexico and Incan tribes exist in small pockets in South America. Other extinct tribes it seems to be disease and war and we don't know which was more predominant. And then of course intermarriage. I've manage to trace a large line to Cherokee Natives after the trail of tears from North Carolina to Alabama and some mananged to stay in North Carolina because of Appearance so they didn't have to go on the trail.
                  A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                  George Bernard Shaw

Comment

There are theories that the very early explorers released viruses into the Americas that wiped out a hundred million Indians.
                    I've read these theories as explanations for the supposed remains of extensive irrigation systems and so forth.
                    The idea is that the somewhat primitive Indians found later on were the remnant of a decimated civilization.
                    Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
                      There are theories that the very early explorers released viruses into the Americas that wiped out a hundred million Indians.
                      I've read these theories as explanations for the supposed remains of extensive irrigation systems and so forth.
                      The idea is that the somewhat primitive Indians found later on were the remnant of a decimated civilization.
                      Being isolated from the diseases that had swept Euroasia for centuries meant that the indigenous people had no immunity to them and were exposed to them all at once. When some settlers like the Pilgrims and Puritans came to the New World they were amazed how the land had been largely cleared and was perfect for cultivation and assumed that it was the result of God's providence. Little did they realize it was the result of natives who had recently been cultivating the land being exposed to diseases from much earlier explorers that spread across the continent from tribe to tribe.

Comment

This thread seems to imply the killing has stopped.
                        The last Christian left at tweb

Comment

Originally posted by Trout View Post
                          They keep breedin'.

Comment

Originally posted by Trout View Post
                            Just slowed down.
                            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                              providing small pox infected blankets
                              This almost never actually happened.
                              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X