Announcement

Collapse

World History 201 Guidelines

Welcome to World History 201.

Find out if Caesar crossed the Rubicon or threw a dollar across it.

This is the forum where world history, in general, can be discussed. Since the WH201, like the other fora in the World History department, is not limited to participation along lines of theology, all may post here.

Please keep the Campus Decorum in mind when posting here--while 'belief' restrictions are not in place, common decency is.

The Tweb rules are in force . . . we're watching you.
Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

How many Native Americans were directly killed by whites (and vice versa)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
    This almost never actually happened.
    There is one notorious incident.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
      There are theories that the very early explorers released viruses into the Americas that wiped out a hundred million Indians.
      I've read these theories as explanations for the supposed remains of extensive irrigation systems and so forth.
      The idea is that the somewhat primitive Indians found later on were the remnant of a decimated civilization.
      100 million is way too high. The current line of thinking on the "virgin soil epidemics" (seriously, that's what it's called) is that the American Indians were wiped out by plague prior to much European colonization of North America. For example, when the Pilgrims showed up in 1620, they found a series of deserted Indian villages.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Without any records no credible numbers can be ascertained just WAGs.
        Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
        Its hard to say. Their seems to be a high number related to small pox and other diseases, however at some point there is a high number due to refusal to convert to European religion/slavery. I need to look up the statistics or rather estimated statistics.
        I guess that makes sense.

Originally posted by psstein View Post
        The traditional number is somewhere around 11 million, though there have been significant challenges to it in recent years.
        Do you know how that number was calculated, or was it just another WAG?
        Find my speling strange? I'm trying this out: Simplified Speling. Feel free to join me.

"Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure. It is for them alone to point out what we ought to do, as well as to determine what we shall do."-Jeremy Bentham

"We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by stfoskey15 View Post
          Do you know how that number was calculated, or was it just another WAG?
          It's been awhile since I actually did any reading or research in this area, but from what I can remember, it's based primarily on archeology and written records. When the Pilgrims reached near what is now Pawtucket, they found a very large Indian village that had been nearly wiped out by plague (which the Pilgrims quickly caught).

Comment

Originally posted by psstein View Post
            It's been awhile since I actually did any reading or research in this area, but from what I can remember, it's based primarily on archeology and written records. When the Pilgrims reached near what is now Pawtucket, they found a very large Indian village that had been nearly wiped out by plague (which the Pilgrims quickly caught).
            My old stomping grounds by the way. Man I miss RI. Teachers failed to mention that the Pilgrims came that far south or that an Indian village was located nearby. The major point of historical interest in that area that I can remember is the old Slater mill.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X