Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

So this movie didn't suck after all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So this movie didn't suck after all

How often have you watched a movie not because you wanted to but because someone else you were with (spouse, gf/bf, kids, group of friends...) insisted on it only to discover that it wasn't an ordeal that you had to endure but was actually good. Not just, "well that was okay" but rather one you actually enjoyed and would recommend to others.

I can think of two that fall in that category, both of which were movies that girlfriends wanted to see and I figured that at least I might catch a quick nap while it was on.

The first was the dark comedy "Heathers" starring Winona Ryder, Christian Slater and Shannen Doherty.

The second was a coming of age comedy drama "The Breakfast Club" starring Emilio Estevez, Molly Ringwald, Anthony Michael Hall, Judd Nelson and Ally Sheedy.

I've actually watched both movies on more than one occasion.

So how about you? What movies did you actually enjoy watching after first thinking root canal surgery might be a preferable experience?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Y'hoshua and I enjoy Heathers more than you can understand.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
    "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
    Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

Gone with the Wind. I loved it.
      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

How to be Single. Rebel Wilson is absolutely hilarious in it.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I second Gone with the Wind. I'm still working through the 1001 Movies you Need to See Before you Die list, and as I was explaining to someone else today, I run into the "this movie didn't suck after all" moment routinely now. I'd think I'd have learned by now, but nope. Case in point, the aforementioned Gone with the Wind that I had built up in mind as some big romantic melodrama, and while it's certainly that it surprised how much more it was. The film has some amazing direction and cinematography. There were some scenes that really took my breath away by how beautiful they were. And the story wasn't at all what I imagined it was going to be.

I just experienced this again last night when I watched Michael Curtiz' Yankee Doodle Dandy starring James Cagney last night. From the title and poster art, I was expecting some loud, goofy musical or something. It is a musical...sort of, but it's really a biopic about the great vaudevillian and broadway star George M. Cohan who I had no clue about before last night. He's the guy who gave us still familiar tunes like "Over There", and "The Yankee Doodle Boy". I love historical films. Love seeing the fashion and the language people used, and you get a lot of that here, from Cohan's birth in 1879 all the way up to the present period which was 1942, where Roosevelt offers Cohan the Congressional Gold Medal. Cohan died the same year (1942), but was able to see the film before doing so. Cagney, who I loved in previous films, puts in a fantastic, and exhausting looking performance. Glad I watched it.
          Last edited by Adrift; 03-06-2017, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
            Gone with the Wind. I loved it.
            I wasn't expecting much from it but didn't think it would suck and chose to watch it. Adrift pretty much nailed it with his description. An impressive film.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The Lego Movie

Comment

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs. I expected it to be meh, at best. I ended up laughing through practically the whole movie.

Comment

Finding Nemo.

My mother was that way about The Thirteenth Warrior. Now she shows it to her students.
                  I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Spy. I had totally expected it to be complete crud, I'm not really big on slapstick comedy, and I don't particularly like the other things I've seen Melissa McCarthy in, but I thought the film was hilarious.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                      Spy. I had totally expected it to be complete crud, I'm not really big on slapstick comedy, and I don't particularly like the other things I've seen Melissa McCarthy in, but I thought the film was hilarious.
                      Me too. I thought it was surprisingly funny, and we only watched it because my wife had a secret shop to do at the theater, and so we got paid to go.
                      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                        Me too. I thought it was surprisingly funny, and we only watched it because my wife had a secret shop to do at the theater, and so we got paid to go.
                        Wait, what's a "secret shop"? And how do I get paid to go to the theater?

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                          Wait, what's a "secret shop"? And how do I get paid to go to the theater?
                          Give me a bit to refer you to the websites she uses, but basically you can sign up to get hired to perform anonymous, minor "audits" of customer service-type businesses. The movie theater one is a bit uncommon; a more typical example would be something like, you have to go to a local McDonald's, order a meal, and then fill out a questionnaire about the service, cleanliness of the place, etc. They'd reimburse you for something like up to $20 for the food, and then maybe pay you something like $10 on top of that. The businesses that get listed for these jobs vary pretty wildly.
                          Last edited by Zymologist; 03-08-2017, 02:15 PM.
                          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                            Give me a bit to refer you to the websites she uses, but basically you can sign up to get hired to perform anonymous, minor "audits" of customer service-type businesses. The movie theater one is a bit uncommon; a more typical example would be something like, you have to go to a local McDonald's, order a meal, and then fill out a questionnaire about the service, cleanliness of the place, etc. They'd reimburse you for something like up to $20 for the food, and then maybe pay you something like $10 on top of that. The businesses that get listed for these jobs vary pretty wildly.
                            A lot of retail stores use "mystery shopper" or "secret shopper" programs.

Comment