Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Relationship between Philosophy and Theology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relationship between Philosophy and Theology

What do you think is the relationship between philosophy and theology? I think that philosophy should be subservient to theology. God is the ultimate authority and God is infallible and inerrant. God cannot be wrong. Whatever God says is true. Anything that contradicts what God has said is false. I don't think that God's revelation should be ignored. I'm all for using our reasoning skills to evaluate arguments. I think that God's revelation should be our guide when we evaluate arguments for and against different viewpoints.

How philosophy can be useful:
    1. Helps one to make deductions or inferences from God's revelation.
    2. Finding out if there are any good evidences or arguments for or against various viewpoints outside of the Bible.
    3. Helps one to avoid fallacies when interpreting Scripture.
    Last edited by Jaxb; 03-05-2017, 11:29 PM.

Should the Philosophy of Science be subservient to Theology?
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxb View Post
      What do you think is the relationship between philosophy and theology? I think that philosophy should be subservient to theology.
      Philosophy is where statements like these:
      God is the ultimate authority and God is infallible and inerrant. God cannot be wrong. Whatever God says is true. Anything that contradicts what God has said is false.
      are evaluated. It is not subservient to theology.
      I don't think that God's revelation should be ignored. I'm all for using our reasoning skills to evaluate arguments.
      So am I - and my reasoning skills reject your post as being full of assertions that are not only unsupported, but false.
      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

What do you think is the relationship between philosophy and theology? I think that philosophy should be subservient to theology. God is the ultimate authority and God is infallible and inerrant. God cannot be wrong. Whatever God says is true. Anything that contradicts what God has said is false. I don't think that God's revelation should be ignored. I'm all for using our reasoning skills to evaluate arguments. I think that God's revelation should be our guide when we evaluate arguments for and against different viewpoints.

How philosophy can be useful:
        1. Helps one to make deductions or inferences from God's revelation.
        2. Finding out if there are any good evidences or arguments for or against various viewpoints outside of the Bible.
        3. Helps one to avoid fallacies when interpreting Scripture.
        FWIW, Mortimer J Adler identifies 3 modes of theology

A. Dogmatic or sacred theology because it deal with a religion's articles of faith, dogmatically declared.
        B. Philosophical theology, neither sacred not dogmatic.
        C. Natural theology, but unlike philosophical theology, it is a body of purely natural knowledge with no appeals to dogmas or articles of faith.
        http://www.thegreatideas.org/apd-theo.html

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
          Philosophy is where statements like these:are evaluated. It is not subservient to theology.So am I - and my reasoning skills reject your post as being full of assertions that are not only unsupported, but false.
          God would be the author of what we know as science, the philosophy of science we derive from our understanding of it. Natural revelation (Romans 10:17-18; Psalm 19:1-4).
          . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
            God would be the author of what we know as science, the philosophy of science we derive from our understanding of it. Natural revelation (Romans 10:17-18; Psalm 19:1-4).
            I sincerely hope that science is never based on theological assumptions.
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
              Science is based on assumptions such as the following:

1. There is a mind-independent reality.
              2. The methods of science can give people an accurate understanding of the world.
              3. The laws of logic and math exist.
              4. Our senses are reliable.
              5. The future will be like the past in certain ways.
              6. The world behaves in a predictable, orderly fashion and will continue to do so in the future.

Comment

Yes. God is the ultimate authority. If something contradicts what God has said, then it is false. There is nothing wrong with philosophizing as long as one does not contradict what God has said.

Comment

So if science said that homosexuality was perfectly natural and healthy and your God said that it was immoral and should be rejected/avoided - which one would be true?
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Theology does not even agree with theology. That is the first problem. Which theology is correct?
                    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                      Which theology is correct?
                      Mine...
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Thus, Shuny just hopes that science would go away and be forgotten since it has not foundation.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                          Theology does not even agree with theology. That is the first problem. Which theology is correct?
                          No field of knowledge has reached its final state. At best we can hope for incremental improvement -- sometimes truth will be hindered by some large misconception(s). This doesn't mean we have to give up on science until its theological basis is fully understood.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                            Thus, Shuny just hopes that science would go away and be forgotten since it has not foundation.
                            Science has its foundation in the Philosophy of Methodological Naturalism independent of any Theological assumptions.

Frank

Comment

What do you think is the relationship between philosophy and theology? I think that philosophy should be subservient to theology.
                              No philosopher would start at revelation. There is no connection between philosophy and theology.
                              “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                              “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                              “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment