Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Sewing Needles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trout View Post
    You just made that up.
    Yeah, nope.

I asked for purchasing advice. I know wimmenfolk are good at spending money.
    I think you just want a volunteer to do it for you. You pretend ignorance so it just becomes easier for somebody else to do it than try to help you figure it out.

Menfolk tend to do that a lot.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      I think you just want a volunteer to do it for you. You pretend ignorance so it just becomes easier for somebody else to do it than try to help you figure it out.

Menfolk tend to do that a lot.
      I think I'm gonna sew a thing that locks the toilet seat in the up position next.
      The last Christian left at tweb

Comment

I think I'm gonna sew a thing that locks the toilet seat in the up position next.
        Won't affect me one bit.

But I am sending an email to your better half.

And I don't mean Gerbz.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Won't affect me one bit.

But I am sending an email to your better half.

And I don't mean Gerbz.
          Her email just forwards to mine.

Comment

BTW Singer is the best and most Durable for your money. Also you can Glue on the Patch First then Sew it on. I'm surprised you didn't get the Iron on for Denim. They tend to stay better. P.S Use a thick upholstry or creweling needle.
            A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
              BTW Singer is the best and most Durable for your money. Also you can Glue on the Patch First then Sew it on. I'm surprised you didn't get the Iron on for Denim. They tend to stay better.
              The patches are iron on. But I've had zero success ironing them on. They are super heavy duty. I wanted some American flags for my work clothes, my wife found some that are made in the USA and they are like 1/4 inch thick!?

Comment

The patches are iron on. But I've had zero success ironing them on. They are super heavy duty. I wanted some American flags for my work clothes, my wife found some that are made in the USA and they are like 1/4 inch thick!?

I still think you should get a thimble and just shove the needle through. If the patches are that thick you should use the heaviest needle you have in your kit. Did a thimble come with?

Comment

I still think you should get a thimble and just shove the needle through. If the patches are that thick you should use the heaviest needle you have in your kit. Did a thimble come with?
                  I have a thimble and some kind of gadget that looks like a knurled thumb ring. The thimble helps a lot. But even with the finer guage needles I have to push so hard it bends the needle and knocks the hoop off .

I've sewn 12 patches on thus far. I feel like I've ran a marathon.

Comment

I have a thimble and some kind of gadget that looks like a knurled thumb ring. The thimble helps a lot. But even with the finer guage needles I have to push so hard it bends the needle and knocks the hoop off .

I've sewn 12 patches on thus far. I feel like I've ran a marathon.
                    Try without the hoop? And use a heavier needle.

Comment

Screenshot_2017-03-06-15-45-05-01.jpeg

Comment

Hm. A denim needle might work. Get a thimble, too, that will help push it through the fabric.
                        I'd try leather needles.
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                          I'd try leather needles.
                          That or Upholstry ones like I mentioned. You can get a good singer needle kit with a guide for what needle is what. They come in packs of 15-30 at wal mart for 5 or so. I don't use a thimble personally. Try tracing the outside with a very lite pencil #3 or 4, glue the patch with fabric glue then stictch it around the pencil markings. Its patching for beginners if you can't take the sticky off to iron it on. Did you try the right paper for ironing?
                          A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

That or Upholstry ones like I mentioned. You can get a good singer needle kit with a guide for what needle is what. They come in packs of 15-30 at wal mart for 5 or so. I don't use a thimble personally.
                            The needles I have don't have a guide saying what they're for. A guide would be nice.

Try tracing the outside with a very lite pencil #3 or 4, glue the patch with fabric glue then stictch it around the pencil markings. Its patching for beginners if you can't take the sticky off to iron it on. Did you try the right paper for ironing?
                            Paper? For ironing? What?

I tried to iron them on the board, then on a metal table. I tried putting a thin cloth in between the Iron and the patch. Then I tried it without the cloth. No dice.

Comment

I doubt Trouty's sewing kit came with either leather or upholstery needles.

And the patches may not have an adhesive backing in order to iron them on. You can GET double sided sticky stuff for "applique" in a fabric store, but it's probably not worth getting that at this point.

You can also get fabric glue to attach things like this. Also at a fabric store.

Comment

http://www.sew4home.com/tips-resourc...ght-needle-job

Comment