Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Can The Atheist Do Good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trout View Post
    I believe I understand the sentiment here, friend.

Say if I w're to run into a burning building to save a baby ... what I've in effect done is help perpetuate the most egregious invasive species imaginable. Not to mention interfering with natural selection, helping craft a species with less respect for danger.
    First, there is no interference of natural selection in saving the baby, because fire or no fire does not have any selective value for the perpetuation of the species. You could come up with better examples.

Second, saving the baby is a natural urge to perpetuation of the species. It is common among higher primates for members to give their lives for the benefit of the group.

Our let's say I came up with a cure for cancer. Wouldn't that be an incorrect value judgment on cancer? Me imagining my existence superior to that of cancer? Even though the human species is a horrible blight on the earth?
    Any negative view of the existence of the human species is a logical and rational approach to the existence of humanity. The overwhelming natural desire to perpetuate the species, as with with all species, takes precedence over any urge for self destruction of the species, which basically does not exist in the nature of behavior naturally. Philosophical Naturalism relies on the science of natural behavior of animals to determine human behavior. and the perpetuation of the species is the strongest motive for survival.

Know what I'm saying?
    No

Perhaps you could explain what a "truly good" act looks like from a naturalistic perspective.
    Any act which naturally leads to the survival of the species, and the social cooperation of the family, community and the species that promotes the ability to raise children to become productive members of the society.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 03-08-2017, 10:06 AM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      Ok,
      The usage in these verses does not match the usage you applied in the OP.
      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        First, there is no interference of natural selection in saving the baby, because fire or no fire does not have any selective value for the perpetuation of the species. You could come up with better examples.

Second, saving the baby is a natural urge to perpetuation of the species. It is common among higher primates for members to give their lives for the benefit of the group.

Any negative view of the existence of the human species is a logical and rational approach to the existence of humanity. The overwhelming natural desire to perpetuate the species, as with with all species, takes precedence over any urge for self destruction of the species, which basically does not exist in the nature of behavior naturally. Philosophical Naturalism relies on the science of natural behavior of animals to determine human behavior. and the perpetuation of the species is the strongest motive for survival.

No

Any act which naturally leads to the survival of the species, and the social cooperation of the family, community and the species that promotes the ability to raise children to become productive members of the society.
        Oh, shunya, a remedial reading comprehension class would do you some good.

Understanding the dilemma before you type is crucial to fostering discussion.
        The last Christian left at tweb

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
          How about scripture is a bunch of idiocies, hallucinations, and lies written by largely uneducated morons in the bronze age...
          The prevalence of this logical flaw has always puzzled me.

Is this because you're a part of the iPhone generation where each successive iPhone is 'better' than the last so the old must be discarded in favor of the new?
          Are you looking forward to the age of sex with robots because sex with other humans is something that was common with uneducated stone age morons?
          Do you have a day job setting the expiration date on dairy products?

Goof.
          Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

I believe I understand the sentiment here, friend.

But from a purely naturalistic schema, the concept of doing something "truly good" confuses me.
            Yep... me too. The qualifier "truly" doesn't add anything useful, IMO.

I think it's enough to note that sometimes someone can do something good. The question in the OP seems to be whether or not that someone can be an atheist.

It's quite a different question to ask whether or not ANYONE can do something good, because of possible difficulties with anything at all being good. That's not what the OP was about, as far as I can see.

Cheers -- sylas

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
              The prevalence of this logical flaw has always puzzled me.

Is this because you're a part of the iPhone generation where each successive iPhone is 'better' than the last so the old must be discarded in favor of the new?
              Are you looking forward to the age of sex with robots because sex with other humans is something that was common with uneducated stone age morons?
              Do you have a day job setting the expiration date on dairy products?

Goof.
              It's easy to conflate "old=bad" with "old=they didn't know what we know". The first isn't an argument; the second is a reasonable approach when you're looking at proposed explanations.
              I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by sylas View Post
                Yep... me too. The qualifier "truly" doesn't add anything useful, IMO.

I think it's enough to note that sometimes someone can do something good. The question in the OP seems to be whether or not that someone can be an atheist.

It's quite a different question to ask whether or not ANYONE can do something good, because of possible difficulties with anything at all being good. That's not what the OP was about, as far as I can see.

Cheers -- sylas
                Thanks my friend. Understood. Well spoken for someone living in a penal colony. ;)

Comment

Oh, shunya, a remedial reading comprehension class would do you some good.

Understanding the dilemma before you type is crucial to fostering discussion.
                  The only dilemma here is in your imagination. If you believe there is in reality a dilemma please state it clearly.
                  Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                  Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                  But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                    The only dilemma here is in your imagination. If you believe there is in reality a dilemma please state it clearly.
                    Take note how sylas read, understood and addressed the post in question. It can possibly give you some insight.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                      It's easy to conflate "old=bad" with "old=they didn't know what we know". The first isn't an argument; the second is a reasonable approach when you're looking at proposed explanations.
                      I agree.
                      That written, I hate chronological snobbery.

It could be just as accurate to write: "new = they forgot what we knew."
                      For example, we may know how to use cell phones but how many of us know how to hunt Velociraptors like our ancestors did?
                      Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

So, Seer, let's say an atheist firefighter saves the life of your local church leader. You're saying that wouldn't be a good act, because it wasn't done with faith in God.

I dunno, I think that kind of standard in what's "good" is seriously flawed.
                        Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
                          I agree.
                          That written, I hate chronological snobbery.

It could be just as accurate to write: "new = they forgot what we knew."
                          For example, we may know how to use cell phones but how many of us know how to hunt Velociraptors like our ancestors did?
                          That one guy did, but he still got eaten.

ETA:

On second thought, maybe that means he didn't know how?
                          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Yttrium View Post
                            So, Seer, let's say an atheist firefighter saves the life of your local church leader. You're saying that wouldn't be a good act, because it wasn't done with faith in God.

I dunno, I think that kind of standard in what's "good" is seriously flawed.
                            I wonder, if it is not done for the glory of God is it really good?
                            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                              I wonder, if it is not done for the glory of God is it really good?
                              Yes, God can do good through the actions of even wicked men. I believe he can even do savational work through wicked men. That's part of the grandeur of God. He often flips expectations on their head.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                                That one guy did, but he still got eaten.

ETA:

On second thought, maybe that means he didn't know how?
                                Lost knowledge is a very sad thing indeed.
                                Sometimes I wonder what really awesome cures/techniques we lost when ancient libraries were lost.

Who knows, maybe the Mayans would be like: What? You guys don't have a cure for cancer? LULZ.

Comment