Deeper Waters Podcast 3/11/2017: Mike Licona

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deeper Waters Podcast 3/11/2017: Mike Licona

Why are there differences in the Gospels?

The link can be found here.

------

What's coming up on the Deeper Waters Podcast? Let's plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

"It depends on which Gospel you read!" Many of us have heard Bart Ehrman talk about this in describing Gospel differences. It is a kind of unavoidable problem. Why are there differences in the Gospels? Shouldn't we expect them to agree, especially on major events like the resurrection?

If you want to know why there are differences in the Gospels, you should talk to someone who has written on this. In fact, the very name of his book is Why Are There Differences In The Gospels? That someone is Mike Licona, a friend, a scholar, a great apologist, and my father-in-law, and he will be my guest. So who is he?

Mike5.jpg

According to his bio:

We'll be talking about Plutarch in comparison with the Gospels, including not just parallel accounts, but how does the writing of Plutarch compare even with anonymity, dating, and miraculous activity? We'll then be looking at some scenes in Plutarch that appear in more than one life that he has written, but at the same time are vastly different. We'll be discussing how these work when carried over to the Gospels and if there are similarities in treatment.

We'll then go to the Gospels. What are we to make of the idea of Ehrman that "It depends on which Gospel you read?" How does this research affect the doctrine of inerrancy if it does at all? What are we to do when we read the same story in different Gospels and see great differences between them? Do the differences outweigh the similarities?

I hope you'll be listening. Mike Licona is an excellent scholar and this work is one that has been published by Oxford Press and so one can't say it's your regular evangelical press. I also hope you'll be willing to go to ITunes and leave a positive review of the Deeper Waters Podcast. I always love to see how much you like the show.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters