Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Are You A Good Man....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    Otherwise known as 'compatibilism'.
    Nope, not necessarily. In any case if we do "retain a certain freedom and spontaneity" then I'm good with that since it breaks the deterministic chain.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Source: "The Baker Compact Dictionary of Theological Terms - by Gregg R. Allison"

COMPATIBILISM The position that divine sovereignty and human responsibility hold together. Compatibilism maintains that the following two affirmations are compatible: (1) God is absolutely sovereign, but his sovereignty never fuctions in such a way that human responcibility is minimized or destroyed; (2) human beings are morally responsible creatures --- they obey, trust, disobey, rebel --- but this characteristic never functions so as to make God dependant on them. Compatibilism is a framework for understanding the divine plan and human treachery in the crucifixion of Christ (Acts 2:23) and divine election and the human response to the gospel of salvation (2 Thess. 2:13). . . .

© Copyright Original Source

Acts 2:23,
      . . . Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain: . . .

2 Thessalonians 2:13,
      . . . But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth: . . .
      Last edited by 37818; 05-16-2017, 07:46 PM.
      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
        Nope, not necessarily. In any case if we do "retain a certain freedom and spontaneity" then I'm good with that since it breaks the deterministic chain.
        More to the point it renders 'libertarian free-will' null and void.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
          More to the point it renders 'libertarian free-will' null and void.
          Actually no it doesn't, "freedom and spontaneity" would be requirements of LFW. In any case indeterminism breaks the deterministic chain. And opens up the possibility for LFW.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Actually no it doesn't, "freedom and spontaneity" would be requirements of LFW. In any case indeterminism breaks the deterministic chain. And opens up the possibility for LFW.

Comment

• Nonsense Tass, if the chain of determinism is broken and there is genuine "freedom and spontaneity" your argument is moot. After all your whole argument against LFW was grounded in the "belief" that there must be a deterministic chain of cause and effect - if that is gone, your objection to LFW is also gone.

Comment

Nonsense Tass, if the chain of determinism is broken and there is genuine "freedom and spontaneity" your argument is moot. After all your whole argument against LFW was grounded in the "belief" that there must be a deterministic chain of cause and effect - if that is gone, your objection to LFW is also gone.
                I don't think you can win this argument seer until you can explain the details of free agency, determinism is understood, the agent, its choices, are determined by antecedent causes. If free will is emergent, then you need to come up with an explaination as to how that occured in an otherwise determined world, otherwise you are just expressing a belief, and we all already know that that is what you believe.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                  I don't think you can win this argument seer until you can explain the details of free agency, determinism is understood, the agent, its choices, are determined by antecedent causes. If free will is emergent, then you need to come up with an explaination as to how that occured in an otherwise determined world, otherwise you are just expressing a belief, and we all already know that that is what you believe.
                  The question then is, did you write that as a free agent or where determined to by some antecedent causes?
                  . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

• Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                    The question then is, did you write that as a free agent or where determined to by some antecedent causes?
                    That is the question, yes.

Comment

No Jim, as I have said in the past, I don't think anyone can explain the human will satisfactorily. Especially in light of my beliefs that the immaterial exists and that it does have influence. And let me clear - no one can prove that determinism is universal, that it is always the case - that too is a belief. Indeterminism however offers a logical possibility for LFW.

Comment

No Jim, as I have said in the past, I don't think anyone can explain the human will satisfactorily. Especially in light of my beliefs that the immaterial exists and that it does have influence. And let me clear - no one can prove that determinism is universal, that it is always the case - that too is a belief. Indeterminism however offers a logical possibility for LFW.

Comment

• And with indeterminism you no longer have an argument against LFW. I guess we will leave it there.

Comment

No Jim, as I have said in the past, I don't think anyone can explain the human will satisfactorily. Especially in light of my beliefs that the immaterial exists and that it does have influence.
                            And let me clear - no one can prove that determinism is universal, that it is always the case - that too is a belief. Indeterminism however offers a logical possibility for LFW.
                            If you wish to deny that determinism is universal you need to explain how things occur out of nowhere, without any antecedent causes. This is to say that nature is so capricious and inscrutable that we cannot even reason about the principle of uniformity, or any other basic law or constant of the universe. Things happen for no reason!

Comment

That is the question, yes.
                              How do you reconcile it, if the antecedent causes makes it determined that what you do are the causes of you being self willed?

Comment

• Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                                How do you reconcile it, if the antecedent causes makes it determined that what you do are the causes of you being self willed?
                                I had to read that a couple of times to decipher your intent, but it still doesn't make sense. Determined and self willed are cotradictory terms, you can only be one or the other.

Comment