Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Are You A Good Man....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    Yes, so?

Multiverse theory is put forward by some Cosmologists to explain puzzling observations and questions that are unanswerable without such a theory. The point is that the concept of an infinite multiverse cannot be ruled out at this stage.

Everything comes from something before. In our case we evolved via Natural Selection from microorganisms, probably similar to those found in hydrothermal vent precipitates. Before this we don’t know, but to argue that “therefore God” is an unacceptable Argument from Ignorance.
    I am arguing ability does not come from inability. Either you agree or you contend that ultimately ability comes from inability. If you agree, then here must always been Ability. If you disagree, then you are effectively arguing ability comes from nothing.
    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
      You can obviously type now. Could you type when you were born? Or before you were born?

If not, then your ability (to type) must have come from an inability (to type). An ability can come from an inability, and an inability is not the same as 'nothing'.

You are wrong.
      So are you arguing ability comes from nothing?
      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

• Originally posted by 37818 View Post
        You can obviously type now. Could you type when you were born? Or before you were born?

If not, then your ability (to type) must have come from an inability (to type). An ability can come from an inability, and an inability is not the same as 'nothing'.

You are wrong.
        So are you arguing ability comes from nothing?
        Never mind. It doesn't matter. You obviously can't understand this stuff. Don't worry your twee little head about it.
        Last edited by Roy; 06-08-2017, 12:14 PM.
        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
        MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
          Never mind. It doesn't matter. You obviously can't understand this stuff. Don't worry your twee little head about it.
          What is it you think I did not understand? Yes, typing is a learned ability. But one has to have the ability to learn to type. There are all kinds of abilities. The term "ability" is very generic. Nevertheless, ability does not come from the inability. There are no exceptions. Yes, an inability can be replaced. But never does the replacement come from the inability that is replaced by said ability. No exceptions.

Comment

I am arguing ability does not come from inability.
            As opposed to being granted by an omnipotent God, which is what we all know you’re angling for. Your problem is that you have no substantive evidence of the existence of a deity.

Either you agree or you contend that ultimately ability comes from inability. If you agree, then here must always been Ability. If you disagree, then you are effectively arguing ability comes from nothing.
            If nothing comes from nothing, then God cannot exist, because God is not “nothing”. If that premise is true that “nothing comes from nothing,” and if God is something, then you have no argument.
            “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

As opposed to being granted by an omnipotent God, which is what we all know you’re angling for. Your problem is that you have no substantive evidence of the existence of a deity.

I believe in an uncaused existence. As what I identify as Who. Infinite and personal.

If nothing comes from nothing, then God cannot exist, because God is not “nothing”. If that premise is true that “nothing comes from nothing,” and if God is something, then you have no argument.
              You are making no sense.

What is your idea of God? Yes, I understand you do not profess to believe there is God. You have an idea of God where there cannot be one in your view.
              Last edited by 37818; 06-09-2017, 07:33 AM.

Comment

I believe in an uncaused existence. As what I identify as Who. Infinite and personal.
                Your problem is that you have no substantive evidence to support this belief.

You are making no sense.
                You are invalidly exempting your creator deity from your belief that “nothing comes from nothing”.

What is your idea of God? Yes, I understand you do not profess to believe there is God. You have an idea of God where there cannot be one in your view.
                Gods were a prescientific attempt to explain natural mysteries like where the sun went at night, voilà Apollo the sun god etc.
                “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Your problem is that you have no substantive evidence to support this belief.
                  You allow yourself no basis to acknowledge that anyone can have any such evidence.

What would be substantive evidence for you? Never mind me.

Besides the Christian belief that Christians have evidence from God (John 17:3; 1 John 5:9; John 14:6). Non-Christians do not know God in any personal way.

You are invalidly exempting your creator deity from your belief that “nothing comes from nothing”.
                  How? Please explain your thinking on this.

Gods were a prescientific attempt to explain natural mysteries like where the sun went at night, voilà Apollo the sun god etc.
                  Well, I have not heard you make the argument, like that the sun is no more the god Apollo than uncaused existence is God. You have not made this argument.

Comment

You allow yourself no basis to acknowledge that anyone can have any such evidence.
                    I don’t have to. One doesn’t begin with the desired conclusion, namely belief in an “uncaused, infinite and personal deity”. If you have evidence to prove this other than your subjective belief, then provide it.

What would be substantive evidence for you? Never mind me.
                    See above.

Besides the Christian belief that Christians have evidence from God (John 17:3; 1 John 5:9; John 14:6). Non-Christians do not know God in any personal way.
                    If you cannot substantiate this personal belief of yours, why would I believe you?

How? Please explain your thinking on this.
                    If “nothing comes from nothing” then this must apply to gods as well.

Well, I have not heard you make the argument, like that the sun is no more the god Apollo than uncaused existence is God. You have not made this argument.
                    My argument is that religion is a primitive attempt to explain otherwise inexplicable events in nature, a role now taken over more effectively by science.

Comment