Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Counterfeits.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    You're the one making the claim that Jesus came back to life. The burden of proof rests with you.
    Do your claims have veracity? How can anyone know if they're not backed by evidence?
    Burden of proof rests with anyone making a claim - or counterclaim.
    For anyone on a Christian site making claims about Christianity - primary burden of proof doesn't rest with others.
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
      No, it doesn't? You're the one who asked him what evidence it would take for him not to believe in God and he answered with the post you're responding to. You don't bear any burden of proof for your own personal beliefs. Perhaps you should consider taking a break from arguing if you can't even remember what you yourself wrote just yesterday?
      "The 'burden of proof' is the duty of a party in a trial to produce the evidence that will shift the conclusion away from the default position". Wiki. The default position in this instance is that there is no god. If you think there is then the burden of proof rests with the person making the claim.

Comment

• This is a Christian site: the default position is ......?
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
          This is a Christian site: the default position is ......?
          The world is bigger than TWeb, can you believe?

Comment

The world is bigger than TWeb, can you believe?
            In the broader world too, both claim and counter-claim need supporting evidence before a skeptic will give either a hearing.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
              In the broader world too, both claim and counter-claim need supporting evidence before a skeptic will give either a hearing.
              In the "broader world" "the 'burden of proof' is the duty of a party in a trial to produce the evidence that will shift the conclusion away from the default position". Wiki. The default position in this instance is that there is no god. If you think there is then the burden of proof rests with the person making the claim.

Comment

In the "broader world" "the 'burden of proof' is the duty of a party in a trial to produce the evidence that will shift the conclusion away from the default position". Wiki. The default position in this instance is that there is no god. If you think there is then the burden of proof rests with the person making the claim.
                Nope - that's in the world of the court room. The same rules don't apply in ordinary debate: nor in the world of science, where the burden is shared equally by both parties.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

You're the one making the claim that Jesus came back to life. The burden of proof rests with you.
                  dumbass. You asked me what it would take to make me not believe in God. I told you. I wasn't asking you to prove anything. I was giving you an example of what it would take to get me to not believe in God. I already believe in him. But if solid evidence showed up that he did not rise from the dead, for example incontrovertible proof of his body being found, then I would stop believing.

Why can't you do the same and give me an example of what evidence it would take for you to believe in God? Either you are too afraid to say, or you are too close-minded to even consider any evidence as good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko
                    Originally posted by Tassman
                    What evidence would it take for you to NOT believe in God?
                    Prove to me that Jesus did not come back to life. Show me his body and evidence that it really is him.
                    There are a lot of ways to effectively respond to Sparko's suggested counter-evidence. Yours was not one of them.
                    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Ah, so it's all predestined is it? In that case I'm doomed.
                      Your name is in the book of life until it is blotted out.

1 John 5:5,
                      . . . Who is he that overcometh the world? But he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God. . . .

Revelation 3:5,
                      . . . He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels. . . .

Psalm 69:27-28,
                      Add iniquity unto their iniquity: and let them not come into thy righteousness. Let them be blotted out of the book of the living, and not be written with the righteous.
                      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                        There are a lot of ways to effectively respond to Sparko's suggested counter-evidence. Yours was not one of them.
                        Well if you say so. But it seems to me that when an improbable, unverified claim is made (i.e. that Jesus came back to life) that the burden of proof rests with the claimant.

Comment

Well if you say so. But it seems to me that when an improbable, unverified claim is made (i.e. that Jesus came back to life) that the burden of proof rests with the claimant.
                          It certainly is.

But that's irrelevant, because Sparko wasn't making an improbable, unverified claim - he was answering your question.

Your response suggests you forgot that you had asked him a question, and were responding to his reply as if it were devoid of context.
                          Last edited by Roy; 05-04-2017, 09:25 AM.
                          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                          MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                            It certainly is.

But that's irrelevant, because Sparko wasn't making an improbable, unverified claim - he was answering your question.

Your response suggests you forgot that you had asked him a question, and were responding to his reply as if it were devoid of context.
                            OK! Rebuke accepted.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              dumbass. You asked me what it would take to make me not believe in God. I told you. I wasn't asking you to prove anything. I was giving you an example of what it would take to get me to not believe in God. I already believe in him. But if solid evidence showed up that he did not rise from the dead, for example incontrovertible proof of his body being found, then I would stop believing.

Why can't you do the same and give me an example of what evidence it would take for you to believe in God? Either you are too afraid to say, or you are too close-minded to even consider any evidence as good enough.
                              You're correct, my mistake.

My response, to paraphrase Hume, is that Christianity is based on faith, not reason. So miracles never should have been used to establish the truth of Christianity in the first place. And, in my view, it is always more reasonable to believe that the event in question has a natural cause and is not miraculous...no matter how improbable the natural explanation may seem to be.

Comment

You're correct, my mistake.
                                Thank you.

My response, to paraphrase Hume, is that Christianity is based on faith, not reason. So miracles never should have been used to establish the truth of Christianity in the first place. And, in my view, it is always more reasonable to believe that the event in question has a natural cause and is not miraculous...no matter how improbable the natural explanation may seem to be.
                                You are basically saying the same thing: you will not believe anything that proves God to be real. You really don't need to keep repeating yourself in different ways. I get it. You are close-minded and wouldn't believe in God if he stood right in front of you and did anything you asked of him. He will probably be tossing you into hell after you die and you will be saying "I still don't believe you exiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisssssstt" on the way down.

Comment