Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Counterfeits.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    What is you evidence that God exists and that he's omnipresent?
    What evidence do you have that existence exists? And what is there that is omnipresent?
    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

• Originally posted by 37818 View Post
      What evidence do you have that existence exists? And what is there that is omnipresent?
      There is verifiable empirical evidence of the existence of the natural universe and our place in it. There is none supporting the existence of deities.
      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

There is verifiable empirical evidence of the existence of the natural universe and our place in it. There is none supporting the existence of deities.
        So you are arguing the existence of things - in this case the natural universe as perceived is evidence of existence. Things in space (existence) is not the space (existence) it is in. We see space (existence) by the things in it. Are you arguing "space" is uncaused existence? Or that "space" is an evidence that existence exists? I, for one, do not believe in deities[plural], BTW.

what is there that is omnipresent?
        . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

So you are arguing the existence of things - in this case the natural universe as perceived is evidence of existence. Things in space (existence) is not the space (existence) it is in. We see space (existence) by the things in it. Are you arguing "space" is uncaused existence? Or that "space" is an evidence that existence exists? I, for one, do not believe in deities[plural], BTW.

what is there that is omnipresent?
          I'm arguing the existence of the natural universe, which is all we have evidence of, which may or may not be infinite
          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Prove that he exists.
            what would you accept as proof?
            that is what I have been asking you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              that is what I have been asking you.
              If it could be demonstrated that sincere prayer was reliable then that would be a start.

Comment

It's a meaningless question. There's no substantive evidence available for examination other than your personal testimony of Jesus as your personal friend and saviour, but and why would I believe you?

Comment

It's a meaningless question.
                  Your logic on this issue is so circular I'm amazed your head isn't in a perpetual state of being stuck inside your butt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                    Your logic on this issue is so circular I'm amazed your head isn't in a perpetual state of being stuck inside your butt.
                    Ah the smugness of the 'saved!'

God's existence is an unsubstantiated assumption and I’m supposed to give reasons why I might accept such an assumption. Come now! It’s a meaningless exercise. If you have evidence, present it. Personal testimony is NOT credible evidence.

Comment

Ah the smugness of the 'saved!'
                      Glass houses, stones.

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                      God's existence is an unsubstantiated assumption and I’m supposed to give reasons why I might accept such an assumption. Come now! It’s a meaningless exercise. If you have evidence, present it. Personal testimony is NOT credible evidence.
                      Why should I? I don't believe you're capable of competent and accurate weighing of the evidence in the first place, so it would just be a major waste of time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post

Why should I? I don't believe you're capable of competent and accurate weighing of the evidence in the first place, so it would just be a major waste of time.
                        Yes, I suspect it would be, although not for the reasons you give.

Comment

My saying so has nothing to do with whether God is or not.
                          God just is.
                          Your posts would be less unconvincing if you could manage to maintain consistency for more than half a paragraph.
                          What is not consistent in my argument that you refer to?
                          Are you really so stupid that you can't see the inconsistency in admitting that stating god exists is ineffective, then doing it anyway?
                          And even if such an argument is concocted that the uncaused existence cannot be God, the premise that the uncaused existence is God cannot go away. Atheists willingly ignorant of this does not make it not true.
                          But atheists understanding it better than you do to the point that we recognise the fallacies that you have committed does make it not true.
                          And that fallacy is?
                          Beyond you.

As apparently is the concept of plurality.
                          Last edited by Roy; 04-18-2017, 08:55 AM.
                          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                          MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

It's a meaningless question. There's no substantive evidence available for examination other than your personal testimony of Jesus as your personal friend and saviour, but and why would I believe you?
                            I didn't say what it would take for you to believe ME. I said what proof would it take for you to believe in God? I already suggested if God proved himself to you but that wasn't good enough for you. So what would be?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
                              If it could be demonstrated that sincere prayer was reliable then that would be a start.
                              What do you consider "reliable?" That God always has to grant your wish? He is God, not a genie.

Comment

What do you consider "reliable?" That God always has to grant your wish? He is God, not a genie.
                                Yes, we all know this routine: "God always answers prayer but sometimes he says no".

Comment