Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Counterfeits.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    If you provided evidence of the supernatural you would also need to provide convincing evidence that there’s no possible natural explanation, otherwise you’re simply making a god-of-the-gaps argument and they never end well for theists.
    You already said you would reject God himself standing in front of you doing anything you ask, or even bringing back a dead family member who has been dead for years and you know for a fact is dead. Basically there is nothing that you would accept as verifiable or convincing evidence. Nothing.

Except maybe when you eventually die and are kneeling in front of God at the judgment. You can try to deny his existence then, but it won't do you much good. At least you can't say you weren't warned or given a chance.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      At least you can't say you weren't warned or given a chance.
      But I can say that I was given no good reason to believe the warning.

Comment

You already said you would reject God himself standing in front of you doing anything you ask, or even bringing back a dead family member who has been dead for years and you know for a fact is dead. Basically there is nothing that you would accept as verifiable or convincing evidence. Nothing.
        You’re trying to convince me of the existence of a supernatural entity without providing evidence that the supernatural exists. There’s no verifiable evidence that it does. So why should I even consider your childish scenarios?

Except maybe when you eventually die and are kneeling in front of God at the judgment. You can try to deny his existence then, but it won't do you much good. At least you can't say you weren't warned or given a chance.
        I’ll take my chances.
        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

You’re trying to convince me of the existence of a supernatural entity without providing evidence that the supernatural exists. There’s no verifiable evidence that it does. So why should I even consider your childish scenarios?
          I suspect that when you say "verifiable evidence" you mean "scientifically testable, physical evidence". In other words, you are saying that there is no clear, natural evidence for the supernatural. But how could there be? How could something within nature tell us about a world outside of nature? If you insist a priori that nature is all that can possibly exist, you will never recognize the supernatural, even if it actually does exist. You have insulated yourself from the truth.

But although the evidence is not clear enough to convince a hardened skeptic like yourself, I claim that we do see some hints in the natural world that the supernatural actually exists:
          First, the natural world, in and of itself, is inherently incomplete. There must be something beyond it which explains it.
          Second, the supernatural world has at times broken into the natural world, giving us things which are impossible to explain in a purely natural way. (The Word became flesh, and dwelt among us. And we beheld his glory.)
          "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." – Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by Kbertsche View Post
            I suspect that when you say "verifiable evidence" you mean "scientifically testable, physical evidence". In other words, you are saying that there is no clear, natural evidence for the supernatural.
            Yes.

But how could there be? How could something within nature tell us about a world outside of nature? If you insist a priori that nature is all that can possibly exist, you will never recognize the supernatural, even if it actually does exist. You have insulated yourself from the truth.
            There is no substantive evidence of anything outside of nature; this is the “truth”.

But although the evidence is not clear enough to convince a hardened skeptic like yourself, I claim that we do see some hints in the natural world that the supernatural actually exists:
            No we don’t.

First, the natural world, in and of itself, is inherently incomplete. There must be something beyond it which explains it.
            Our knowledge is incomplete certainly, but there’s no justification for leaping to a god-of-the-gaps explanation, this is an 'argument from ignorance'.

Second, the supernatural world has at times broken into the natural world, giving us things which are impossible to explain in a purely natural way. (The Word became flesh, and dwelt among us. And we beheld his glory.)
            There is no credible evidence that the alleged supernatural world has ever “broken into the natural world”. This would imply that the fixed laws and constant's of nature are capricious and inscrutable. But the laws of nature do not appear to change over time, and they also appear to exist throughout the universe.
            “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

In other words, you are saying that there is no clear, natural evidence for the supernatural. But how could there be? How could something within nature tell us about a world outside of nature?
              Like this:
              the supernatural world has at times broken into the natural world, giving us things which are impossible to explain in a purely natural way.
              Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
              MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

The hypothetical was to see if ANYTHING would convince you. I suspected that nothing would, and you admitted that. So why should I waste my time trying to convince you of anything if you have already admitted that nothing can convince you? that no evidence is good enough?

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                  Originally posted by kbertsche
                  In other words, you are saying that there is no clear, natural evidence for the supernatural. But how could there be? How could something within nature tell us about a world outside of nature?
                  Like this:
                  the supernatural world has at times broken into the natural world, giving us things which are impossible to explain in a purely natural way.
                  Yes. In my first comment, I was referring to clear evidence that even a skeptic like Tass would accept. My second comment was referring to less clear hints, and was prefaced by:
                  Last edited by Kbertsche; 05-24-2017, 11:00 AM.
                  "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." – Albert Einstein

Comment

Yes. In my first comment, I was referring to clear evidence that even a skeptic like Tass would accept. My second comment was referring to less clear hints, and was prefaced by:
                    Sure. But supernatural interference in the natural world could produce clear evidence, rather than merely hints. That the claimed interference hasn't produced anything verifiable is not a problem for the methodology, only for those that proclaim the supernatural.
                    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                      Sure. But supernatural interference in the natural world could produce clear evidence, rather than merely hints. That the claimed interference hasn't produced anything verifiable is not a problem for the methodology, only for those that proclaim the supernatural.
                      OK give me an example, something that even Tassman would accept and not explain away as an unknown natural phenomenon.

Comment

OK give me an example, something that even Tassman would accept and not explain away as an unknown natural phenomenon.
                        Right, like this event was an unknown natural phenomenon, even though no one could offer even a possible explanation.

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...highlight=fern
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                          Right, like this event was an unknown natural phenomenon, even though no one could offer even a possible explanation.

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...highlight=fern
                          I never saw that thread before. cool.

Comment

I never saw that thread before. cool.
                            Cool and true...
                            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by kbertsche
                              I as a Theist consider these hints as a subjective witness of the existence of God, but I am perfectly aware the atheists and strong agnostics can easily ignore this as anecdotal, and groundless as far as any objective basis for the existence of God.

I believe that 'IF' atheists and agnostics are going to accept these hints as a witness of God's existence they will respond better to a more universal theology of God, like the Baha'i believe not grounded in ancient mythology, and unconditionally accepts science as the interpreter and understanding of the nature of our physical existence.

The inconsistency of Western Theism in the nature God and the understanding of the nature of our physical existence, and it's history.
                              Last edited by shunyadragon; 05-24-2017, 11:09 PM.
                              Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                              Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

The hypothetical was to see if ANYTHING would convince you. I suspected that nothing would, and you admitted that. So why should I waste my time trying to convince you of anything if you have already admitted that nothing can convince you? that no evidence is good enough?
                                You've provided nothing that would allow for the existence of the supernatural world and this is a prerequisite for ANY claims about the existence of a supernatural being.

Comment