Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MormonLeaks

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Mormonism is hemorrhaging membership. I think most Mormons have internet access now.
    The last Christian left at tweb

Professor and Chaplain Littlejoe's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    Mormonism is hemorrhaging membership. I think most Mormons have internet access now.
    Then it probably won't be long before the Mormon Church bans it from their members...
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It was my understanding that Mormonism was one of the fastest growing religions in the world behind Islam and non-denominational/Evangelical Christianity. Is that no longer true?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    It was my understanding that Mormonism was one of the fastest growing religions in the world behind Islam and non-denominational/Evangelical Christianity. Is that no longer true?
    Their growth rate is as low as its been since 1937.
    The growth they do enjoy seems to be outside the US, Latin America, Mozambique etc. Locally speaking, active membership has been declining for the last 25 years or so. They have less missionaries, report less baptisms, and aren't developing real geographic membership centers like they were.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Their growth rate is as low as its been since 1937.
    The growth they do enjoy seems to be outside the US, Latin America, Mozambique etc. Locally speaking, active membership has been declining for the last 25 years or so. They have less missionaries, report less baptisms, and aren't developing real geographic membership centers like they were.
    Is that in keeping with the general trend we're seeing throughout Christianity as well (I know most Mainline denominations are also seeing major declines), or are they losing members faster than even most Christian denominations?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    Is that in keeping with the general trend we're seeing throughout Christianity as well (I know most Mainline denominations are also seeing major declines), or are they losing members faster than even most Christian denominations?
    Interesting question. Last I checked, they claimed a growth rate of about 1.5%. I'm not sure if I remember where I got that figure but if it came from the LDS church, I'd take it with a grain of salt.

I think any major mainstream denomination claiming a 1.5% growth rate would be ecstatic.

Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    There is something unique about Mormon Christians - the Mormon glow.
    Source: http://www.ldsliving.com/-The-Mormon-Glow-Study-Found-that-People-Really-Can-Identify-Mormons-in-a-Crowd/s/78779

Researchers from Canada have proven that something is different about Mormons, and even those who do not subscribe to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints can see it.

A study done by psychology professor Nicholas Rule, of Toronto University, shows that Mormons and non-Mormons alike can identify Mormons based on no more than their skin quality.

© Copyright Original Source

. . . the Gospel of Christ, for it is [the] power of God to salvation to every [one] believing, . . . -- Romans 1:16.

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3, 4.

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I think theologyweb is off limits to mormons because we kept deconverting them. Or scaring them off like Trout's brother in law LDStrue, and nrajeff. We are probably on some "do not go there or you might lose your faith" list.

Professor and Chaplain Littlejoe's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Interesting question. Last I checked, they claimed a growth rate of about 1.5%. I'm not sure if I remember where I got that figure but if it came from the LDS church, I'd take it with a grain of salt.

I think any major mainstream denomination claiming a 1.5% growth rate would be ecstatic.
    Do the Assemblies of God count as mainline? The 2015 U.S. Growth rate was 1.4%. In fact, they have had 24 straight years of growth. I think from what I could find, the AOG global growth rate is 1.7%
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    If the growth rate is declining, it's still by definition growing.
    I want something good to die for to make it beautiful to live.